Wilder to Spurs

18 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Surely at the top level they expect that? If a manager leaves their staff go, buy the whole lot for next incumbent. If previous guy is moving upwards then compensation will also be forthcoming.

It's probably a bit difficult to understand as it does seem quite simplistic i guess

But having worked at clubs where this happens it is incredibly disturbing

Having a reasonably solid base of staff that survives the passing through coaches/managers really helps clubs stay stable when the outside seems turmoil

For eg i can recall one club that went from having the best player availability in the PL to the worst in consecutive seasons because a new coach insisted on changing the medical and sports science staff - and when he left along with his staff the club was left with very few staff to operate with - and despite what it seems from the outside pro football clubs are 24/7/365 operations

Also, not forgetting a lot of those staff may have been loyal and capable employees that now have to be cast aside like trash on the whim of somebody who knows nothing of the club and it's operation that he is shredding

Not to mention that clubs may actually fully appreciate their backroom staff who often have to go way beyond the "extra mile" on a weekly basis. Then there is the "team spirit" it may have engendered between players and those unsung unseen staff

So, as i said - i get both both sides but fully appreciate the clubs stance also

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, scram said:

It's probably a bit difficult to understand as it does seem quite simplistic i guess

Having a reasonably solid base of staff that survives the passing through coaches/managers really helps clubs stay stable when the outside seems turmoil

For eg i can recall one club that went from having the best player availability in the PL to the worst in consecutive seasons because a new coach insisted on changing the medical and sports science staff - and when he left along with his staff the club was left with very few staff to operate with - and despite what it seems from the outside pro football clubs are 24/7/365 operations

Also, not forgetting a lot of those staff may have been loyal and capable employees that now have to be cast aside like trash on the whim of somebody who knows nothing of the club and it's operation that he is shredding

Not to mention that clubs may actually fully appreciate their backroom staff who often have to go way beyond the "extra mile" on a weekly basis. Then there is the "team spirit" it may have engendered between players and those unsung unseen staff

So, as i said - i get both both sides but fully appreciate the clubs stance also

Yeah, I was probably being a little simplistic 🤣

I know a guy who was doctor at one of the biggest teams, but was swiftly moved on when a high profile manager took the reigns. The stories he tells about players wanting him 24/7 are hilarious/ ridiculous 🤣

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

Yeah, I was probably being a little simplistic 🤣

I know a guy who was doctor at one of the biggest teams, but was swiftly moved on when a high profile manager took the reigns. The stories he tells about players wanting him 24/7 are hilarious/ ridiculous 🤣

Mate it doesn't surprise me

I know a player who went into one of London's most prestigious private hospitals (Princess Grace) because had... not joking here...a f*cking sore throat (this was years before covid for the avoidance of doubt)

£12k for one night - for a sore throat - not infected or anything - just checked himself in and charged the club...

I worked really closely with a club doc - became one of my dearest friends - constantly on call for players/wives/kids/parents/aunts/uncles - you name it he was supposed to respond

Bearing in mind that many players do not even speak English initially (especially younger ones from south america etc) and it was a nightmare for him

I've known at least 3 dr's in my time in football that have burned out and left full time football

I don't think people realise how attritional it is

Just now, scram said:

Mate it doesn't surprise me

I know a player who went into one of London's most prestigious private hospitals (Princess Grace) because had... not joking here...a f*cking sore throat (this was years before covid for the avoidance of doubt)

£12k for one night - for a sore throat - not infected or anything - just checked himself in and charged the club...

I worked really closely with a club doc - became one of my dearest friends - constantly on call for players/wives/kids/parents/aunts/uncles - you name it he was supposed to respond

Bearing in mind that many players do not even speak English initially (especially younger ones from south america etc) and it was a nightmare for him

I've known at least 3 dr's in my time in football that have burned out and left full time football

I don't think people realise how attritional it is

Guy I know was having a quiet country drive on a Sunday when he noticed a big Land Rover following him. Eventually stopped to see what was what... high profile England international showing him a rash on his toes he was a bit worried about 🤣

You’ll know the doctor. Became involved with GB Olympics amongst others.

20 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Anyway back to wilder, looks like he’s not got the wba gig after all. What’s next? Celtic?

Nah.

Think they've got some Aussie fella lined up.

Read that Wilder to Baggies might be off due to salary demands.

Think the bus driver is kidding himself a bit with his stock atm.

He's just come off a stinker of a season, quit when the going got tough and tried to throw everyone but himself under the bus. Oh, and he apparently wants to manager clubs like his local sunday league side.

19 hours ago, scram said:

They say that was Mourinho's undoing at Chelsea after he fell out with the doctor that was much closer with the players and families than what he was so really shot himself in the foot.