Luongo

Pulis has said he’s got the heart of a lion as he’s still injured and shouldn’t really be playing at all right now.

Love to see the determination and commitment but I’m really worried that, even with removing him after an hour, we’re risking too much and should be waiting until he’s actually clear of injury. 

He’s one of the last players we can afford to lose long term. 

On 26/11/2020 at 18:15, FlyingOwl said:

Pulis has said he’s got the heart of a lion as he’s still injured and shouldn’t really be playing at all right now.

Love to see the determination and commitment but I’m really worried that, even with removing him after an hour, we’re risking too much and should be waiting until he’s actually clear of injury. 

He’s one of the last players we can afford to lose long term. 

I rest my case 

bloody stupid to risk him when Pulis himself admitted he was still injured and ‘shouldn’t really be playing’.

Edited by FlyingOwl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He is the Auatralian Hutchinson in so many ways.

Good player, but you cant hope to build any sort of team around him. He's always going to be missing for a quarter to a third of a season.

Doesn’t help when managers are playing him when he’s not fit though. 

I know what you’re saying. But I look back on how we handled Kieran Lee and it hurts quite a lot. We arguably ruined the back end of his career in the 16/17 season when we didn’t take control of the situation and rule him out for the remainder of the season. We instead had him play through the pain barrier and look what ended up happening.

A footballers career is short and it does just make me uncomfortable when these type of situations happen. Doesn’t benefit us in any which way cos even though we delayed it a few weeks, we still lost Luongo and potentially have lost him for longer than necessary.

17 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I rest my case 

bloody stupid to risk him when Pulis himself admitted he was still injured and ‘shouldn’t really be playing’.

The club never learns.

Well, I say ‘the club’, but the problem is that it's different managers that come in and try to do the kinds of things that they probably got away with elsewhere only to find that it doesn't work here.

Sometimes, there's a genuine argument for giving physios the power to overrule a manager when it comes to deciding whether a player is fit enough to be selected.

16 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He is the Auatralian Hutchinson in so many ways.

Good player, but you cant hope to build any sort of team around him. He's always going to be missing for a quarter to a third of a season.

Huge disservice to Hutchinson who since being reinstated by Bruce in Jan 2019 was fit for every game.

Luongo is out all the time. We got sold a crock for 1m. Hutchinson was a free transfer and we got everything we possibly could out of a player who had no right to even be back on a football pitch.

You can’t compare the two. Luongo is that unreliable we have to go back and resign Sam Hutchinson to cover up the huge mistake we made by getting rid in the first place. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Huge disservice to Hutchinson who since being reinstated by Bruce in Jan 2019 was fit for every game.

Luongo is out all the time. We got sold a crock for 1m. Hutchinson was a free transfer and we got everything we possibly could out of a player who had no right to even be back on a football pitch.

You can’t compare the two. Luongo is that unreliable we have to go back and resign Sam Hutchinson to cover up the huge mistake we made by getting rid in the first place. 

You Hutchinson fans are like f00king Trumpers.

Jesus christ.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Agree with this mostly. I'm sick of folk lazily gobbing off about Hutchinson's injury record without looking at the actual facts.

Still, I don't think we made a mistake in moving Hutchinson on, only that we did so without replacing him.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, cowl said:

Agree with this mostly. I'm sick of folk lazily gobbing off about Hutchinson's injury record without looking at the actual facts.

Still, I don't think we made a mistake in moving Hutchinson on, only that we did so without replacing him.

No problem with any players being moved on but their replacement has to better or at least as good. The situations with Hutchinson and Westwood have shown we didn’t get this anywhere near right. Terrible decisions 

Just now, BIG D said:

No problem with any players being moved on but their replacement has to better or at least as good. The situations with Hutchinson and Westwood have shown we didn’t get this anywhere near right. Terrible decisions 

This really.

All well and good letting Hutchinson go, but did we replace him with better?

Absolutely not. That’s why Pulis is trying everything to get him back. What a mess.

1 minute ago, BIG D said:

Yep. In Hutchinson's case we didn't even bother with getting a replacement.

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This really.

All well and good letting Hutchinson go, but did we replace him with better?

Absolutely not. That’s why Pulis is trying everything to get him back. What a mess.

And here in lies the problem. 

Its all good and well people saying 'he wasnt good enough to get us promoted in 2015 so we need to move on'

Im all for moving on if we get someone better. But we havent even come close to that. And expecting a kid to come in and keep us up is a massive massive ask, no matter wha their potential is. 

Put it this way, id have preferred Hutchinson coming on when JVA got injured today given the situation were in. 

31 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Doesn’t help when managers are playing him when he’s not fit though. 

I know what you’re saying. But I look back on how we handled Kieran Lee and it hurts quite a lot. We arguably ruined the back end of his career in the 16/17 season when we didn’t take control of the situation and rule him out for the remainder of the season. We instead had him play through the pain barrier and look what ended up happening.

A footballers career is short and it does just make me uncomfortable when these type of situations happen. Doesn’t benefit us in any which way cos even though we delayed it a few weeks, we still lost Luongo and potentially have lost him for longer than necessary.

Luongo is a strange one as he had a pretty good fitness record at QPR. He got sent off for us against Blackburn last season, picked up what was said to be a minor injury then spent months on the sidelines.

The decision to play him in the Huddersfield game this season seemed to be a really strange one. Pulis had already pointed out that he was playing when not fully fit but in that game it was clear pretty much from kick-off that he was way off the pace and by the time he was subbed at half-time he could barely break into a jog.