This system

The system is alright, I feel our centre backs are decent and the midfield 3 are OK.  But the problem is coming from the total lack of service the wing backs are providing.

Reach may be the answer to LWB but we desperately need a better player on the right side who can cross a ball.  

I’d also like to see a quick striker up top who will run in behind the opposition and stretch the play more.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

The system is alright, I feel our centre backs are decent and the midfield 3 are OK.  But the problem is coming from the total lack of service the wing backs are providing.

Reach may be the answer to LWB but we desperately need a better player on the right side who can cross a ball.  

I’d also like to see a quick striker up top who will run in behind the opposition and stretch the play more.  

Out of interest mate, do you mean this system is alright, and has been played successfully by other clubs? If so, I agree, it can be, and it has. Not by us though, and for the reasons you’ve pointed out, a lack of real wing backs, and the wrong dynamic up front.

The centre backs are slowly adapting, although there seems to be a real issue with the left sided one. VanAken looks to be struggling, and Borner has never looked comfortable in a three. Lees did look uncomfortable, but looks OK as long as he’s the middle one. Dunkley, when fit will also compete for that middle role. The midfield, I agree, works just fine

56 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Out of interest mate, do you mean this system is alright, and has been played successfully by other clubs? If so, I agree, it can be, and it has. Not by us though, and for the reasons you’ve pointed out, a lack of real wing backs, and the wrong dynamic up front.

The centre backs are slowly adapting, although there seems to be a real issue with the left sided one. VanAken looks to be struggling, and Borner has never looked comfortable in a three. Lees did look uncomfortable, but looks OK as long as he’s the middle one. Dunkley, when fit will also compete for that middle role. The midfield, I agree, works just fine

Yes I mean the system is fine, but we need better wing backs to make it work effectively.  Our midfield sits fairly deep and our strikers are hard working but not creative, so it puts a lot of pressure on Brown to be the only creative force. 
Harris works hard but otherwise offers very little going forward the amount of times he gets the ball and we need someone more creative in that position. Even just crossing balls into the box, it doesn’t have to be precise but getting the ball in the penalty area will cause situations.  

Edited by Owls-Fan

I would look more to the players than any system.  Surely playing 2 attack minded players as wing backs is a positive move, and many of us wanted to see 2 up front when Fletcher was toiling on his own.  I’ve no problem with 442 but don’t see any decent full backs in current squad, and not sure Bannan is at his best in a midfield 2.

20 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It’s not wise at all given that it has quite simply not worked since January. Our form has been dreadful. 

I wish I can see better solution but unless he brings in a target man we can’t play higher up, can’t disagree the home form though it’s a shambles!

You can argue all day about the system but I still don’t think that’s the real issue.

Yes I would prefer 433 but if we played it the same way we are playing at the moment equally it wouldn’t work.

We are trying to do everything at 90 mph .
Fair enough to press teams if that’s the way we want to play.

But what’s the point if all we do is give it straight back to them.

We have some decent footballers, Bannan, Brown, Reach , Windass are decent on the ball. When we have the ball lets take care of it , try and build a bit and create some decent chances for our strikers.

At the moment all we do is get it forward as early as possible, obviously under instruction, and our strikers have zero chance.