This system

1 minute ago, 0114 said:

I’ve come to this conclusion too. 

Monk has played 433, 442, 4231 and 352 in the last 12 months. They’ve all contributed too our abysmal 5 wins in 27. 

The problem isn’t the formation it’s the approach we take in games regardless of formation.

No matter the formation Monk still won’t let us off the lead in the 1st half at Hillsborough. It’ll be the same keep it close first half, nick a goal and then immediately defend.

It’s pretty obvious the only reason he wanted to play Reach as as 10 is in the hope something drops on his left foot and he can nick a goal out of nowhere

17 hours ago, GerOwl said:

What is this shizzle, playing hoof ball again. 

This^^^
First half was awful. Don’t think we made more than two passes before it was back with QPR. Like back to the worst days of players being scared of taking a touch. Start of the second half was noticeably better as we played it on the deck more. That faded towards the end.

Persisting with 3 at the back when we only have 5 first team centre halves on the books. 3 of which weren’t in the match day squad. It’s absolutely criminal.

We literally have no plan B. As soon as the numbers started the deplete we should have been looking at 4 at the back. Throwing a young kid in out of position is mind boggling.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I’ve come to this conclusion too. 

Monk has played 433, 442, 4231 and 352 in the last 12 months. They’ve all contributed too our abysmal 5 wins in 27. 

The problem isn’t the formation it’s the approach we take in games regardless of formation.

No matter the formation Monk still won’t let us off the lead in the 1st half at Hillsborough. It’ll be the same keep it close first half, nick a goal and then immediately defend.

I think the bit about his approach to games is right, and that’s a real worry. The system is still wrong though, as it means too many players are uncomfortable in it, or not able to play to their strengths

Just now, gurujuan said:

I think the bit about his approach to games is right, and that’s a real worry. The system is still wrong though, as it means too many players are uncomfortable in it, or not able to play to their strengths

Absolutely. Of the all the formations we have used this one just doesn’t suit us. We’ve got 2/3 decent wingers and 0 good wing backs.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not so, our results prior to Christmas, before he introduced the system, were considerably better

He didn’t introduce 352 at Christmas. He introduced it in June v Forest.

Our 442 after Christmas (after Fletcher) was a disaster. P14. W2. D3. L9.

That was 442. Remember watching it v Brentford, Blackburn, Derby, Reading...that was 442.

Pretending the problem is 352 is naive. 

• Like 2

Guest Kameron

It’s not just the system, our recruitment has been abysmal.  We have a mid table squad and ******** poor manager , add in the points deduction and a few injuries and it’s not going to end well.

17 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

It’s not the system 

It’s not the fans

It’s not playing in front of a crowd

It’s not the bad apples

It’s not Lee Bullen

It’s not the lack of backroom staff

It’s not the inability to sign players

It really just begs the question of what is behind us taking 8 points at home since Christmas?

Don't forget covid 19. Monk has had to put up with the corona virus.

15 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Originally when 2-3 teams in the league played 352 it took teams by surprise and seemed to be effective. In 2020 you have about 15+ teams playing it and it just causes stalemate. The other teams all expect it and set up for it. It's less effective when you play it with players out of position and with a new squad finding their feet. 

This^^^^
No overlapping support or pass on inside yesterday, so any advantage of having pacey players out wide completely nullified.

Monk had us on a roll early doors by having a very simple, old school approach to games.

We set up in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation with a defensive midfielder, we got the ball wide early, got men into the box and, bombarded teams with crosses at every opportunity.

it wasn’t glorious to watch but, we had players playing in their natural position and, a clear game plan. He fell out with numerous players, told half the team they weren’t having renewals and the rest is history.

Imagine if I rocked up to work on Monday morning and, asked the receptionist to do me a condition report on 10000m2 roof, my boss would go spare. Why it’s acceptable for Monk to show horn players in to roles they’re clearly not comfortable with I’ll never know. Last month Adam Reach was an out and out striker, he’s now a wing back like we all knew... there’s just no consistency. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

He didn’t introduce 352 at Christmas. He introduced it in June v Forest.

Our 442 after Christmas (after Fletcher) was a disaster. P14. W2. D3. L9.

That was 442. Remember watching it v Brentford, Blackburn, Derby, Reading...that was 442.

Pretending the problem is 352 is naive. 

The only times we’ve had any sort of sustained success, was playing 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 or with 4-4-2 using narrow wide men. However you’re right, it’s easy to get hung up on systems, but break it down into areas where players play. Most of the centre backs are more comfortable in a two, most of the wing backs are more comfortable in other positions. The midfield are Ok, we need a three in there, but the limitations put on their role, simply isn’t getting the most out of them. Up front, don’t get me started. He wants to play with a pair, but we haven’t got a pair at the club, despite already bringing three new forwards in. So many ill fitting pieces, it’s no wonder performances are so disjointed

I think he made the right move putting Reach in his best position(he played a season for Preston there before we signed him), him and Penney should be competing for that role.

I'd get Palmer and Odubajo for other but going on last 3 games watching Van Aken caught out with the same ball twice and Borner be the worse defender v Fulham we need to sign a LCB.

Also a striker and get Windass when Brown is injured to do the no10 role which requires somebody when we have the ball to constantly be looking to run past the strikers.

Think with 2 good signings we have the 3 5 2 players as allows us to play 2 strikers which surely overtime must improve our goal output.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

I think he made the right move putting Reach in his best position(he played a season for Preston there before we signed him), him and Penney should be competing for that role.

I'd get Palmer and Odubajo for other but going on last 3 games watching Van Aken caught out with the same ball twice and Borner be the worse defender v Fulham we need to sign a LCB.

Also a striker and get Windass when Brown is injured to do the no10 role which requires somebody when we have the ball to constantly be looking to run past the strikers.

Think with 2 good signings we have the 3 5 2 players as allows us to play 2 strikers which surely overtime must improve our goal output.

Monk and Reach believe that he’s a striker. 

• Haha 1

Just now, runningaround said:

Keep teams out and nick one and sit in. Reminds a little of Stuart Gray tactics. In the situation we face and players we have, wise.

Very wise when we concede after the 85th minute every week. 

If you can’t defend, you don’t sit in. 

2 minutes ago, runningaround said:

Keep teams out and nick one and sit in. Reminds a little of Stuart Gray tactics. In the situation we face and players we have, wise.

When more than half of your back 3/5 are not comfortable in their roles, that’s hardly going to work is it

It's not Monks fault though, he needed to clear out the dead wood at the end of the season and bring his own players in

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzx

Garbage manager hence why I never wanted him in the first place.

I can accept that the injuries did not help the past couple of days, but it doesn't excuse the clueless forward play

43 minutes ago, runningaround said:

That seem to be the tactic - SG managed 60 points and was sacked. I think if Monk achieves this DC will give him the freedom of Thailand, providing there are three worst teams.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smhouston said:

It's not Monks fault though, he needed to clear out the dead wood at the end of the season and bring his own players in

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzx

Garbage manager hence why I never wanted him in the first place.

I can accept that the injuries did not help the past couple of days, but it doesn't excuse the clueless forward play

Or lack of alternative game plan when injuries do strike.