Rhodes dropped

Guest Jack the Hat

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

I do quite like the 19 Crimes red, although it veers a little close to jammy for my ideal tastes. Funnily enough I find their white (admittedly white is much less my flavour anyway) is more or less undrinkable - so heavily oaked it tastes almost synthetic, like a wine-flavoured cordial that someone forgot to dilute.

I like South American reds - particularly Argentinian Malbecs - but I do tend to aim for EU producers where I can, as they have lower allowances on % of sulphites and tannins IIRC. Less chance of a really banging head with native EU producers if you know you’ll be having a few.

For robust flavours and lower acidity I can recommend Bardolino (Superiore if you like a deeper flavour), or Montepulciano d’Abruzzo for a really deep colour and spicy notes without the sharpness.

Rhodes to hit ok form after a couple of injury dropouts elsewhere and end up on 14 for the season.

I go to italy a lot so I am familiar to bardolino etc. I tend to find you have to pay a bit more for good eu  wines than new world. Funny you say that about 19 crimes white. I don’t drink white but I often wonder if theirs reds have flavourings in as they are so consistent year on year and do have a distinctive full jammy almost sweet flavour. I do like them though.

rhodes needs 12 to become top scorer of all time in championship. If he gets the game time he will score that easily.

2 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

I go to italy a lot so I am familiar to bardolino etc. I tend to find you have to pay a bit more for good eu  wines than new world. Funny you say that about 19 crimes white. I don’t drink white but I often wonder if theirs reds have flavourings in as they are so consistent year on year and do have a distinctive full jammy almost sweet flavour. I do like them though.

rhodes needs 12 to become top scorer of all time in championship. If he gets the game time he will score that easily.

We’ll have to give him another five year contract to try to achieve that though. 

• Like 1

I'm still utterly bewildered that people have been watching Rhodes all this time and feel like he's the answer to our scoring problems. Outside of the impressive statistics that date back five whole years now, there has barely been a flicker of hope in all his time here. Yet other players have been regularly berated for being many times more effective. And still the universe is being drained of every possible excuse to try and keep the Emperor looking resplendent in his fine new robes. 

That glorious afternoon in Nottingham that belied the rest of his time at the club came in the midst of an ongoing spell otherwise of 18+11 appearances, 2 goals and 0 assists. And I don't think that poking home from 4 yards out at Cardiff can be considered the kind of sign necessary to indicate a goal avalanche is imminent. Like everyone else, he has to earn his place in the team, not have his sycophants reminding us of ancient history. Using that logic we could get Rodger Wylde or Tommy Tynan back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm still utterly bewildered that people have been watching Rhodes all this time and feel like he's the answer to our scoring problems. Outside of the impressive statistics that date back five whole years now, there has barely been a flicker of hope in all his time here. Yet other players have been regularly berated for being many times more effective. And still the universe is being drained of every possible excuse to try and keep the Emperor looking resplendent in his fine new robes. 

That glorious afternoon in Nottingham that belied the rest of his time at the club came in the midst of an ongoing spell otherwise of 18+11 appearances, 2 goals and 0 assists. And I don't think that poking home from 4 yards out at Cardiff can be considered the kind of sign necessary to indicate a goal avalanche is imminent. Like everyone else, he has to earn his place in the team, not have his sycophants reminding us of ancient history. Using that logic we could get Rodger Wylde or Tommy Tynan back.

Im not a sycophant but thanks for the patronising insult. You are entitled to your opinion that he won’t score the goals we need, I understand that. Given a run of games I believe he can score the goals we need. You can disagree without trying to make me look stupid - which incidentally you won’t. The forest game was less than a year ago and Rodger Wilde played for us in the early eighties. So very much another pointless comment.

i asked earlier who in the current squad was capable of scoring 3 goals like the ones he scored against forest. Nobody responded to this because we don’t have anyone. Possibly Windass at a stretch.

rhodes signing has been a disaster for all concerned but he is on our books for the rest of the season. So where is the intelligence not to utilise him. He is the

ONLY recognised striker

ONLY established goal scorer with over 100 goals

ONLY player to score a hat trick in the squad.

He pulls the defenders out of shape and always gives 100%. He’s also one of only 2 players to score for us so far this season in the league and we have a 2 point average in the unbeaten games he has played in. The game he didn’t we lost and didn’t score. 
If. we sign a striker better than him then we should play him. Until then not playing him is ridiculous. If you think Kachunga offered more than him in the last two games then that is fair enough but I find that hard to believe. 
oh and one final thing. Him and Windass seem to work better together than Windass and Kachunga.

My opinions are based on how the squad stands NOW. Who is contracted to us NOW. Which partnerships seem to work NOW. The post was based on the last game we played. These comments based on this season so far, whereas yours are based on previous seasons which is ironic when you accuse me of living in the past. 
you say he has to earn his place in the team. So far he has this season. Kachunga hasn’t .

Edited by Jack the Hat

7 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Given a run of games I believe he can score the goals we need.

When we first signed him, the talent and confidence in our squad was way higher than what we have now. He played in (from memory) the next 21 games, starting 16 of them. He scored 3 goals in that time. Aside from the City Ground miracle, his current form is 18+11 appearances and 2 goals. Finishing is the only attribute he has any claim whatsoever for being even amongst the best in the squad, and he has been poor at that since the day he arrived.

Any player can earn another chance from the work they put in and how they take the opportunities they get, but for me, he's only in the reckoning because our options are so limited at the moment. It's no coincidence that apart from that initial spell, every manager we have had has considered him well down the pecking order. And despite our financial position and how obvious it is we'd happily get rid of him for any realistic offer, so far as we know, no one has been prepared to pay even a small fee for him.

Edited by DJMortimer

Guest Jack the Hat
13 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

When we first signed him, the talent and confidence in our squad was way higher than what we have now. He played in (from memory) the next 21 games, starting 16 of them. He scored 3 goals in that time. Aside from the City Ground miracle, his current form is 18+11 appearances and 2 goals. Finishing is the only attribute he has any claim whatsoever for being even amongst the best in the squad, and he has been poor at that since the day he arrived.

Any player can earn another chance from the work they put in and how they take the opportunities they get, but for me, he's only in the reckoning because our options are so limited at the moment. It's no coincidence that apart from that initial spell, every manager we have had has considered him well down the pecking order. And despite our financial position and how obvious it is we'd happily get rid of him for any realistic offer, so far as we know, no one has been prepared to pay even a small fee for him.

The run of games was over three years ago. Yet you choose to deduct from your equations something he did about 9 months ago and choose to ignore the goal he scored this season. Glad to see you are giving him a fair crack of the whip!

And as for the managers I wouldn’t  pay Carlos or Jos in rusty washers.

Edited by Jack the Hat

If we sign a really decent goal scorer your view makes sense. But until we do, Rhodes will score more than Windass or Kachunga. 

Just now, Jack the Hat said:

The run of games was over three years ago. Yet you choose to deduct from your equations something he did about 9 months ago and choose to ignore the goal he scored this season. Glad to see you are giving him a fair crack of the whip!

This is confirmation bias in full and desperate effect. The tiniest positive exaggerated beyond reason (such as his four yard toe poke from a couple of weeks ago) and all negatives minimised. Carlton Palmer, once scored a hat-trick for us but his finishing was often ridiculed. As did Colin Walker. So what? Statistical outliers have to be taken into context and not long ago I published a ton of them on the likes of Lawrie Madden, Andy Pearce, Regi Blinker, David Hirst, Nigel Pearson, Andy Sinton, Ritchie Humphreys...

Across his entire time here Rhodes has been poor. It's not even up for debate. Atdhe Nuhiu needed only four months to outdo his entire club output in goals and assists. At one point, he was one of EIGHT forwards at the club and he had the lowest scoring ratio of ALL of them. And even his most ardent advocates acknowledged that scoring was all he offered. They didn't even pretend that all the other requirements of the role were worth thinking about.

On the scales of common sense there's a couple of marbles on one side and a whole brick wall on the other. Oh, but aren't they fabulous marbles? Twist the universe in all kinds of directions, make some excuses and sprinkle with fairy dust and we might tip the scales the other way in no time. 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

If we sign a really decent goal scorer your view makes sense. But until we do, Rhodes will score more than Windass or Kachunga. 

In the case of the latter, that remains to be seen. But on the former? No chance. Windass has already scored 5 goals in just 9+5 total appearances for the club. Has Rhodes managed that kind of return at any point whilst with Wednesday; even with his hat trick in the reckoning?

I'm more bewildered that people who claim to know anything about wine bring 19 crimes into the conversation. 

Guest Jack the Hat
34 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

This is confirmation bias in full and desperate effect. The tiniest positive exaggerated beyond reason (such as his four yard toe poke from a couple of weeks ago) and all negatives minimised. Carlton Palmer, once scored a hat-trick for us but his finishing was often ridiculed. As did Colin Walker. So what? Statistical outliers have to be taken into context and not long ago I published a ton of them on the likes of Lawrie Madden, Andy Pearce, Regi Blinker, David Hirst, Nigel Pearson, Andy Sinton, Ritchie Humphreys...

Across his entire time here Rhodes has been poor. It's not even up for debate. Atdhe Nuhiu needed only four months to outdo his entire club output in goals and assists. At one point, he was one of EIGHT forwards at the club and he had the lowest scoring ratio of ALL of them. And even his most ardent advocates acknowledged that scoring was all he offered. They didn't even pretend that all the other requirements of the role were worth thinking about.

On the scales of common sense there's a couple of marbles on one side and a whole brick wall on the other. Oh, but aren't they fabulous marbles? Twist the universe in all kinds of directions, make some excuses and sprinkle with fairy dust and we might tip the scales the other way in no time. 

Why can’t you accept that in my opinion I rate Rhodes as more likely to score in our squad than anybody other than Windass.

I find your oddly dismissive comments , although wrappped up in quaint diction, extremely arrogant. I fully understand why you don’t rate him but to ridicule me and label it as confirmation bias demonstrates this arrogance especially as you then qualify your  putitive facts with old players who are not currently in the squad and therefore not relevant to the discussion. If he gets a run in the squad and doesn’t perform he should be dropped and I would advocate that. You are so blinkered even if he had a good run this season you would dilute the figures over his career here, therefore doing the exact thing you are - unfairly - accusing me of. It’s weird.

Guest Jack the Hat
42 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

In the case of the latter, that remains to be seen. But on the former? No chance. Windass has already scored 5 goals in just 9+5 total appearances for the club. Has Rhodes managed that kind of return at any point whilst with Wednesday; even with his hat trick in the reckoning?

But I am advocating he plays WITH Windass. No one is suggesting Windass is dropped.

49 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Yes, he has.

Rhodes has scored 4 in his last 825 league minutes for us.

Windass 4 in 732 league minutes for us.

12 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Why can’t you accept that in my opinion I rate Rhodes as more likely to score in our squad than anybody other than Windass.

I find your oddly dismissive comments , although wrappped up in quaint diction, extremely arrogant. I fully understand why you don’t rate him but to ridicule me and label it as confirmation bias demonstrates this arrogance especially as you then qualify your  putitive facts with old players who are not currently in the squad and therefore not relevant to the discussion. If he gets a run in the squad and doesn’t perform he should be dropped and I would advocate that. You are so blinkered even if he had a good run this season you would dilute the figures over his career here, therefore doing the exact thing you are - unfairly - accusing me of. It’s weird.

You can believe whatever you like. But on a forum such as this it is customary to at least provide some form of logic that goes a little beyond wishful thinking or ancient history. My judgement of the player is over his entire time here, whereas you are ridiculously over emphasising much smaller factors such as his hat trick and recent close range goal. The reason is obvious; they are small puddles in an otherwise vast and arid landscape. And it befits the label of confirmation bias I'm afraid because it is clear that one opinion has a much greater body of evidence than the other.

Rhodes has had several managers, countless team mates, who knows how many tactical adjustments and he has had meagre returns under all of them. I believe Windass is now the EIGHTH different forward during his time here with a better scoring ratio (although Winnall may have dropped slightly below him towards the end of last season). His performance at Cardiff was an improvement, because he was at least getting involved more, but he was starting from a low base and there is no reason to get giddy yet.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

But I am advocating he plays WITH Windass. No one is suggesting Windass is dropped.

I agree with that.

From what we saw late last season and so far this season I think Rhodes-Windass should be given a few starts together.

7 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

I go to italy a lot

I've been several times, though only the north..Milan.

First time I went, little cafe off the main track....near the Duomo..

Anyhow ordered a nice Chianti..she came she poured, tasted...luvvely, turned round and she had foooked off.

Wasn't a taster that was it...kin ell, large wine glass with just one small gob full in it.

Went on guiness instead, even that was 10 euros a pint  about 10 yrs ago..

Nice times though..