Another player attracted to SWFC by Garry Monk's CV

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I wonder how many times altercations on here have spilled over into the real world at games? Can remember chance encounters with a couple of people I’ve had heated debates with on here, at Ipswich and QPR away. Quite funny actually, as both turned out to be decent blokes, one of which I’d known from games for a long while. Think I’ve mellowed with age, and am less confrontational than I used to be on here Probably true in life also

99.99% of folk are genuinely generally sound and normal 

So many people have met up from here over the years and created genuine lifelong friendships so I know how powerful this site is for bringing people together

Its hard to understand this sometimes but just because people disagree on here doesn’t make them idiots or nasty horrible people and 99% of the time you can meet them, have a beer with them, have a laugh with them 

Anyone who thinks otherwise are the type you don’t want to associate with anyway as their agenda will be hate and superiority which we don’t accommodate or do on here 👍

Ps some of the Uberfans on here I have met and they’re the soundest blokes I know - it’s just their football politics that’s all messed up 🤣

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Your the worse one for misunderstanding a post, could cause a punch up in a Convent.

Ive mistaken so many of your posts over the last year mate

I get all angrymad and then realise the next day I didn’t get your dry humour 

I never apologise though - I’m a Conservative 

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Never had that experience but it doesn't surprise me that they turned out to be decent blokes they probably thought the same about you.

The perception and the reality. 

The bit i dont really get is,why keep making the same point over & over? How many times can you say the manager's sh**e,he has never achieved anything,..he should have got sacked last year...'Covid' saved him.....@Fessi' this...'Hutch' that..HRH..'Westwood' & so on...Its a valid point of view...but its been discussed & done to death....Must have seen those comments every single time i log on.

New season here in a couple of weeks,I want to see my team play again, & look forward to Sat afternoon.I was frustrated at the same old players turning out,& utterly sick of seeing what we saw on the Pitch.Yes i know the rump of the squad remain,i can read(though apparently i cant write properly!!) What we dont know,is what effect the players  that have left the club, will have on squad morale,the 'newcomers' & final resolution of the EFL case.(well,' appeal pending)

Hopefully we will see a new,invigorated Wednesday.If we dont and the slide continues,well we can discuss the present cant we? the 'now'? instead of all this analysis of Monks previous clubs..& 'last season'.I dont care about his previous clubs,I care about our club SWFC..(well & Hearts,my adopted club,in respect to a friend who passed)

When this club faced  dire circumstances in the past,it didn't get turned around in a season,far from it.Jack Charlton(RIP) Howard,et al,'Ron' & TF, all took us the pinnacle...we have to forget this 'off the shelf' promotion team stuff. Hasn't worked has it? Just left us in debt.

We need to trust the managers judgement,give him the 3 or 4 transfer windows that Bruce said it needed,& allow him to turn the clubs fortunes around.Probably going to take 2,to 5 years to build a team to challenge again for promotion.The only way to find out if Monk is up to the job,and the right man to do it,is.well to find out!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, parajack said:

The bit i dont really get is,why keep making the same point over & over? How many times can you say the manager's sh**e,he has never achieved anything,..he should have got sacked last year...'Covid' saved him.....@Fessi' this...'Hutch' that..HRH..'Westwood' & so on...Its a valid point of view...but its been discussed & done to death....Must have seen those comments every single time i log on.

New season here in a couple of weeks,I want to see my team play again, & look forward to Sat afternoon.I was frustrated at the same old players turning out,& utterly sick of seeing what we saw on the Pitch.Yes i know the rump of the squad remain,i can read(though apparently i cant write properly!!) What we dont know,is what effect the players  that have left the club, will have on squad morale,the 'newcomers' & final resolution of the EFL case.(well,' appeal pending)

Hopefully we will see a new,invigorated Wednesday.If we dont and the slide continues,well we can discuss the present cant we? the 'now'? instead of all this analysis of Monks previous clubs..& 'last season'.I dont care about his previous clubs,I care about our club SWFC..(well & Hearts,my adopted club,in respect to a friend who passed)

When this club faced  dire circumstances in the past,it didn't get turned around in a season,far from it.Jack Charlton(RIP) Howard,et al,'Ron' & TF, all took us the pinnacle...we have to forget this 'off the shelf' promotion team stuff. Hasn't worked has it? Just left us in debt.

We need to trust the managers judgement,give him the 3 or 4 transfer windows that Bruce said it needed,& allow him to turn the clubs fortunes around.Probably going to take 2,to 5 years to build a team to challenge again for promotion.The only way to find out if Monk is up to the job,and the right man to do it,is.well to find out!!

Some people have different views mate

And some don’t really have any views but will put forward an argument to the death just to make themselves seem all educated on football etc 

Its really interesting to watch human behaviour like that

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, hk_owl said:

Owlstalk is just a reflection of society. The polarisation gets a rise, whips people up and encourages response.

Being so pro-Monk, Neil whips up OT with the “Gary Monk Era” and “Gary Monk’s CV” nonsense and ignores the doubters, suggesting that his view is “common sense”, suggesting we’re a brigade and we’re “crying”...

Results weren’t good enough to see us 12 points clear of the relegation zone last season... relationships weren’t built between the manager and the squad and the replacements we have signed so far haven’t come close to replacing those we lost.

I’ll be 100% behind Monk when we’re getting the results on the pitch. We can start by smashing Leicester later.

I agree with your broader points but TBH FF..Hutchinson, & Fletcher all  have struggled with injury & not in my view allegedly done it for us..(in recent times).

Dave splits opinion,as did Fox....most would argue competent,but bang average......& up to press no new Championship Club for FF or Hutchinson..No fee required,why havnt they been snapped up?? Same with Westwood......Only 1 club allegedly shown interest..?

I agree more new blood needs to come in, could do with at least 2 decent strikers,but if not,hey we go with what we got...It is Monks job to get the best out of them now,agree.lets give him the chance...(but accept the jobs ongoing..mistakes will be made,things wont always work first time,& changes may happen)

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, parajack said:

I'm in two minds about Monk, I quite agree that he needs time to shape the squad how he wants it and so far he is a long way from that.

I just find his tactics boring I prefer a more cavalier style but accept that he is the manager and we must give him time. 

It's been such a traumatic time for the club in recent months that manager must be given some leeway. 

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I'm in two minds about Monk, I quite agree that he needs time to shape the squad how he wants it and so far he is a long way from that.

I just find his tactics boring I prefer a more cavalier style but accept that he is the manager and we must give him time. 

It's been such a traumatic time for the club in recent months that manager must be given some leeway. 

The games since we came back from Covid break showed strong signs we are heading that way, playing fast attacking direct football down the wings 

We just didn’t have the players at the time to pull it off so got spanked 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

The games since we came back from Covid break showed strong signs we are heading that way, playing fast attacking direct football down the wings 

We just didn’t have the players at the time to pull it off so got spanked 

Yep I noticed a more flamboyant style, just need some top quality forwards to put the chances away. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Monk isn't bobbar, and neither is Carvalhal.

I guess they're middling/average.

The problem is that in our predicament such managers are not sufficient.

The reason why I'm doom and gloom is that we'd probably need a Colin to keep us up.

In other words, a tip-top manager at this level with years of experience to draw on.

Anaemicus simply isn't at that level.

Who does Carlos manage nowadays?

I think some people actually forget that it’s a forum By definition, any debate is open to all and sundry, and quite often, you are debating an opinion with multiple posters. If you have to make your point to 20 different posters, it’s obviously going to come across as making the same point 20 times, however you frame it

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Totally agree,cant say i like watching our midfield,pass the ball sideways & back,or see 10 men in our own half...or like Jos preferred 'playing out' football see your side defending(poorly) from the first touch...with a lone striker up front...(if your lucky)

Hints are Monk will continue with 3/5/2 with experimenting with overlapping,quick,wing backs,so you might well see that type of football.

Would make sense if he is going with JR...more space created for him to capitalise,if he is capable.

We shall see  TBF to JR  it would probably be the first time the side was set up to play consistently in a way that suited his strengths..(i know!!..been a while!)

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think some people actually forget that it’s a forum By definition, any debate is open to all and sundry, and quite often, you are debating an opinion with multiple posters. If you have to make your point to 20 different posters, it’s obviously going to come across as making the same point 20 times, however you frame it

True,I appreciate admin takes a lead in starting some threads,keeps the forum boards 'active' but this close to a new season start,i would have hoped for a bit more 'wait & see' before the avalanche of doom and gloom...

Last season (end) could easily just have been a one off....With the multiple factors involved...I suspect season end,may well see us with opinion divided(still).

For me 'success' for Monk,will be avoiding relegation,whilst at the same time,re building  the squad,and trying to play more entertaining,attractive football.Fourth from bottom of the Championship would be a successful season.

Key to this,must be stabilising the defence,no silly mistakes & unnecessary penalty's,and we must establish a 'clean sheet' regime again.. Simply can not be leaking 2,3 goals a game......Though some have identified a lack of firepower up front,its the GK spot,i feel that is our biggest Achilles Heel,& a significant concern,going forward.

We will see..

Edited by parajack

1 minute ago, parajack said:

True,but not in multiple different 'Monk' threads...?..I appreciate admin takes a lead in starting some threads,keeps the forum boards 'active' but this close to a new season start,i would have hoped for a bit more 'wait & see' before the avalanche of doom and gloom...

Last season (end) could easily just have been a one off....With the multiple factors involved...I suspect season end,may well see us with opinion divided(still).

For me 'success' for Monk,will be avoiding relegation,whilst at the same time,re building  the squad,and trying to play more entertaining,attractive football.Fourth from bottom of the Championship would be a successful season.

Key to this,must be stabilising the defence,no silly mistakes & unnecessary penalty's,and we must establish a 'clean sheet' regime again.. Simply can not be leaking 2,3 goals a game......Though some have identified a lack of firepower up front,its the GK spot,i feel that is our biggest Achilles Heel,& a significant concern,going forward.

We will see..

Maybe today will give us some indication, they obviously we are still hopeful of a few more additions before we start the season for proper

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, parajack said:

Totally agree,cant say i like watching our midfield,pass the ball sideways & back,or see 10 men in our own half...or like Jos preferred 'playing out' football see your side defending(poorly) from the first touch...with a lone striker up front...(if your lucky)

Hints are Monk will continue with 3/5/2 with experimenting with overlapping,quick,wing backs,so you might well see that type of football.

Would make sense if he is going with JR...more space created for him to capitalise,if he is capable.

We shall see  TBF to JR  it would probably be the first time the side was set up to play consistently in a way that suited his strengths..(i know!!..been a while!)

Hope your right about JR I was one who was egging on the signing of him, but all for a few moments he's not looked a capable player at all. Which is disappointing as he seems a genuine bloke.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Hope your right about JR I was one who was egging on the signing of him, but all for a few moments he's not looked a capable player at all. Which is disappointing as he seems a genuine bloke.  

I couldn't myself see the need for him,at the time TBH..We had an abundance of striker choices,(JR wasnt in the first team,at the team,& hadnt done much allegedly for a while...nor was he a 'bargain'.) Seemed an obvious greater need to strengthen other positions after our Play Off final loss.History now though...hope Monk can get something out of him.

If it was me,i would work on his Psychology,tell him i was going to build a team around him,he was going to be my first choice striker,& that i wanted him to get into goal scoring positions,& go for goal,at every opportunity.I would be working also on improving dead ball situations,free kicks,corners,long throws...Anything to get the ball into the box...and/or score goals.

With momentum,comes confidence,and with confidence will come goals... any shot on target,forces a save from the keeper.Basic i know,but its surprising what sometimes catches the keeper out,or leads to a sloppy save,and a goal from the aftermath.(dont we know it!!)..Must work on at least 'hitting the target' more...

How many times have we seen a ball passed,rather than an attempt at goal? needs to change..

Edited by parajack