Chris Kirkland on leaving Sheffield Wednesday

On 21/05/2020 at 21:59, @owlstalk said:

“I was going to sign again in 2015 but I just thought if I got back closer to home, I thought it would reverse the cycle but I turned down a new deal at Wednesday. 

It was hard because I loved the club, it was an amazing club but I knew that I needed to get back home.

I signed for Preston but I was too far gone by then. I just couldn’t reverse it, I didn’t want to play football and I signed for Bury again in 2016 and I shouldn’t have signed for them, I knew it wouldn’t last and I just walked off the training pitch and just said that I can’t do this.

So simply moving closer to home didn’t fix it.

Removing the issue of the commute from the equation made no difference.

On 23/05/2020 at 09:30, The Claw said:

ERM! flit, change schools, most people do, some work abroad and take the family, some actually stay once the contract has finished, I have a coupe of mates in germany, holland, Norway all took the family, one in perth has now settled. if its where the job is you go.

Not really, if you have a serious medical condition how does moving solve the issue? Yes a trigger was commuting, but this was one, from what I have seen change this another one will occur. It's about a cure not changing locations

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

If the trigger is working far from family on the money he earned that could have easily been remedied couldn't it? 

I don’t think it was the trigger as he was the same at Bury.

If he moved closer to Sheffield he’d probably worry his family hated the idea of moving. Or he’d stress about something else.

Its a horrible thing to live with. 

Guest The Claw
21 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Not really, if you have a serious medical condition how does moving solve the issue? Yes a trigger was commuting, but this was one, from what I have seen change this another one will occur. It's about a cure not changing locations

Don't take the job then or could it be he liked the money!

1 hour ago, The Claw said:

Don't take the job then or could it be he liked the money!

Some people just don't get it. Not always about the job, this is an illness. Makes no difference what the job is you can get ill or get a dieseae whether you are a footballer or a office worker.

Why is it so difficult to understand?

Guest LondonOwl313
22 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I don’t think it was the trigger as he was the same at Bury.

If he moved closer to Sheffield he’d probably worry his family hated the idea of moving. Or he’d stress about something else.

Its a horrible thing to live with. 

He stated that ‘it all started when I moved to Sheffield Wednesday...’. But then moving to Bury didn’t solve the issue despite it being a lower pressure environment and removing the long commute. My Dad has OCD and anxiety and there is a tendency to want to blame an event as being the cause of something when in reality if it’s not that then it’s something else that’s focussed on. I’d be surprised if it really started when he came here or if he’s been struggling with this his whole life but it just manifested itself in a different way

Guest LondonOwl313
10 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Some people just don't get it. Not always about the job, this is an illness. Makes no difference what the job is you can get ill or get a dieseae whether you are a footballer or a office worker.

Why is it so difficult to understand?

I think the point he’s trying to make is that if playing professional football makes you unhappy, depressed and causes you ongoing day to day anguish then what draws them to carry on when they can quit and get a different job at any time.

If you could guarantee that all of the issues were totally linked to the football then surely most people would want to quit despite the money so that they have peace of mind. I think that the reality is that the issues probably aren’t just linked to football though and would still be there in another form

On 22/05/2020 at 08:30, FroggattOwls said:

Not at all. 

People sacrifice things for work, every sympathy for Chris, but continuing a two hour commute everyday was madness,. Many many people work away Monday - Friday in numerous jobs, missing kids from schools and other day to day things in life. Life’s complex and messy and many normal people make massive sacrifices to provide ffor far far less wages than footballers are paid. 

if the commute was the issue, fix it by staying in a hotel. Tackle problems head on. Get other people to pick his kids up from school. Numerous people don’t get this privilege. Life can be very tough. Footballers have the ways and means of mitigating a lot of this that average working people don’t. It was utter madness what Kirkland was doing and I can’t believe no one at the club made suggestions to help etc. 

Again, totally missing the point on what his issues was and staying over is totally impractical for a footballer sometimes i.e. training 5 days a week, game day Saturday...is he supposed to stay over 5 days a week? If so, how does that improve with regards to missing spending time with his family effectively only seeing them once a week (Sunday) and that doesn't take in to account away games either?

Only real solution for him was to move his family to Sheffield to get rid of the big commute and to see his family consistently, but I wouldn't be wanting to do if my family was settled somewhere

Edited by smhouston

54 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I think the point he’s trying to make is that if playing professional football makes you unhappy, depressed and causes you ongoing day to day anguish then what draws them to carry on when they can quit and get a different job at any time.

If you could guarantee that all of the issues were totally linked to the football then surely most people would want to quit despite the money so that they have peace of mind. I think that the reality is that the issues probably aren’t just linked to football though and would still be there in another form

That's fair enough. Just these things have a habit of manifesting themselves. Just need to get as much help as possible

Advantage he has is that he can pay for it to get the best.

People think just because he was a footballer on a good salary mental health issues shouldn't affect him? It can affect ANYONE, don't get me wrong being on his money would ease my anxieties but like he mentioned it's about family and personal life. 

5 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

People think just because he was a footballer on a good salary mental health issues shouldn't affect him? It can affect ANYONE, don't get me wrong being on his money would ease my anxieties but like he mentioned it's about family and personal life. 

What's funny @Moaty78