Barry Bannan

21 hours ago, Kew Owl said:

A good passer of the ball and always gives 100%, but he’s very lightweight and can’t tackle or defend properly. Plus I wish he’d stop berating referees and his team mates - it doesn’t achieve anything and is often counterproductive.

IMHO, he would do better in a top 6 Championship side, with better quality around him and people to share the responsibility and work load.

Let's get the better quality players in then. 

Like a lot of other posters I think Bannan is a good player. The problem is he does cause us problems tactically.

He drops too deep

He hit's great passes which sometimes come off but often just give possession away.

Every time a defender gets the ball he runs toawrds them demanding the ball, the defender gives it to him, he doesn't look round he just passes it straight back to the defender, turns and jogs forward. It's like a nervous tick with him, he has to do it. It slows down our attacks and lets the opposition get into defensive positions

He can't tackle.

If you want to use Bannans undoubted talents you need to build a team around him. One that makes up for his defects and gets the best from his talents. We don't have the players for that at present.

2 minutes ago, prowl said:

Like a lot of other posters I think Bannan is a good player. The problem is he does cause us problems tactically.

He drops too deep

He hit's great passes which sometimes come off but often just give possession away.

Every time a defender gets the ball he runs toawrds them demanding the ball, the defender gives it to him, he doesn't look round he just passes it straight back to the defender, turns and jogs forward. It's like a nervous tick with him, he has to do it. It slows down our attacks and lets the opposition get into defensive positions

He can't tackle.

If you want to use Bannans undoubted talents you need to build a team around him. One that makes up for his defects and gets the best from his talents. We don't have the players for that at present.

You build a team around one player what happens when that player gets injured?

23 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

He’s exceptional but we haven’t got the players around him that would get the best out of him. 

Needs to be in a 3 with the other two doing the fetching and carrying for him. 

Spot on.

He just lacks a strong running, physically imposing box to box Carlton Palmer sort of player alongside him. The club have recruited forwards, wingers and centre backs with great regularity for four seasons now but never a strong midfield partner for Bannan.

Instead we have a frozen out converted centre back, an injury prone converted full back and an ineffectual Dutchman.

Can nobody in our management team see this. I do not believe there have been no opportunities in four seasons to sign this type of player. We are supposed to be scouting through European football.

11 minutes ago, Blatter said:

Spot on.

He just lacks a strong running, physically imposing box to box Carlton Palmer sort of player alongside him. The club have recruited forwards, wingers and centre backs with great regularity for four seasons now but never a strong midfield partner for Bannan.

Instead we have a frozen out converted centre back, an injury prone converted full back and an ineffectual Dutchman.

Can nobody in our management team see this. I do not believe there have been no opportunities in four seasons to sign this type of player. We are supposed to be scouting through European football.

Bang on

Bannan is a decent player but only looks decent when he's got players around him that move.

The past two managers have mismanaged him, you can see what the players have been told. The two wide men have been told to make runs in behind and Bannan will attempt his usual wonder ball to pick them out. Yes this works once every 10 attempt but Bannan is more of a short pass and move player, when you don't have any sort of movement he looks poor. 

Just watch the Carlos years, he had lots of movement from Hooper, FF, Lee, Wallace. they kept the ball for fun at times.

Guest LittleG
On 05/04/2020 at 11:22, Stoop said:

I like Bannan, but him, Hutchinson and Pelupessy are the biggest culprits of us surrendering the midfield area during the last 10 minutes of games, resulting in us conceding an unacceptable amount of late goals

The issue is not all on their heads but the system / tactics we employ.

2 hours ago, 83owl said:

You build a team around one player what happens when that player gets injured?

I'm not suggesting we should build a team around one player. My point is that while Bannan is great in some respects he also causes problems.