PART OF THE PROBLEM

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Depends how you use it.

I've never had Facebook but am able to pick up on football and other news from Twitter quickly, all depends on who you follow in terms of the validity of information. Don't tend to look at the abusive stuff but I guess if you are in the public eye and the abuse is directed at you that would be much more difficult to ignore.

Totally agree 

I am the same. I don't have an account on twitter but it is excellent for sports news.

I can just go on Wednesday/BBC/Sky Sports twitter page and get updated news - brilliant 

No need to have your own page, no need to even think about replying 

Just read it and b*gger off.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Depends how you use it.

I've never had Facebook but am able to pick up on football and other news from Twitter quickly, all depends on who you follow in terms of the validity of information. Don't tend to look at the abusive stuff but I guess if you are in the public eye and the abuse is directed at you that would be much more difficult to ignore.

But if you were in the public eye and you wanted to use Twitter for sport or news, just have an anonymous account.

But they don't, they all like to plaster their name all over it.  When they do this they know for a fact they will get abuse from some troll.  And then they complain about it.  Why do they do it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Sorry. I was under the impression that they were paid for their football ability.

Strange  how they still take 4000 fans away, fans who cheer them what may.

Have you been to an away game recently? We continue to take great support as the fans want to see things turn around but they do still get on the players backs? Did you not hear the reception they got at the end of the Luton game? Hard to say the criticism of the performance wasn't deserved. 

20 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

personally would say it’s the players holding us back more at the minute! This is just a small minority of fans that you seem to get everywhere you go, especially when they have got a beer inside them. 

Unfortunately, two of our big strong personality players have both had problems that have affected them mentally and despite them and one of our former goalkeepers, speaking about those mental pressures, people still pile more pressure on through social media and vocally at games. If it is not part of the solution it is part of the problem. I cant understand why people cant just try simple experiment and give the players a couple of weeks off, where they dont have a go for just two weeks and see what happens. 

4 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

But if you were in the public eye and you wanted to use Twitter for sport or news, just have an anonymous account.

But they don't, they all like to plaster their name all over it.  When they do this they know for a fact they will get abuse from some troll.  And then they complain about it.  Why do they do it?

Totally agree 

5 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I guess some will argue that in this day and age social media is the most effective way of communicating with a wide audience and can very much be used for positive reasons so why should they be excluded just because they are in the public eye?

As you say, being in the public eye leaves you open to abuse from numpties regardless of what you do so maybe it is a small price to pay to give social media a miss if you are likely to be upset by what you may see.

As for having an anonymous account, that would decrease the chances of seeing personally directed abuse but I would imagine if you were in the news and using the internet in any way there would be a temptation to look at what people are saying about you and you can't un-see it once you've had a glimpse.   

Tbf, it isn't social medias fault, it is the morons who use it.

The idea of footballers having the opportunity to communicate with their fanbase is a good idea in principal.

Unfortunately, it doesn't factor in that people are morons.

3 hours ago, Animis said:

I think you have to differentiate between abuse and constructive criticism.

My personal view on Pelupessy is long held, in that he's a poor championship player who offers little to the team - creates little and has no presence in the midfield. He'll either go back to league 2 in Holland or if he stays in England drift off into league 1 (hopefully not with us). Whether he's our worst performer is very subjective - not sure what criteria the 'whoscored' rankings is based.

That's my considered opinion of him. We should be able to express this without being labelled 'haters' and trolls or whatever. Yes, his presence in the team, like Nuihu, is because of poor management above him.

It's a tuff business and whilst interaction with the general public is expected, there are many loons out there who for whatever reason or motivation want to disrupt. The club have a duty of care to protect them as employees, and that's as good as it gets.

The times they have a changed. The problem is a lot of the abuse would have gone on in pubs and clubs and the subjects would have been unaware of it. I find the abuse players get on here pretty uncomfortable - basically often playground bully name calling. And it's not just players - managers, coaches, Scousers, referees, administrators etc etc. 

Edited by rickygoo

18 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The times they have a changed. The problem is a lot of the abuse would have gone on in pubs and clubs and the subjects would have been unaware of it. I find the abuse players get on here pretty uncomfortable - basically often playground bully name calling. And it's not just players - managers, coaches, Scousers, referees, administrators etc etc. 

You're right about different times.

Tell me, did you get uncomfortable when your mates/people use to say the same things in the pub and clubs, because they did. Some of the stuff Chris Morris use to get was worse than today, but most laughed it off.

Not saying its right though.

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

You're right about different times.

Tell me, did you get uncomfortable when your mates/people use to say the same things in the pub and clubs, because they did. Some of the stuff Chris Morris use to get was worse than today, but most laughed it off.

Not saying its right though.

Occasionally but it would be a private thing between a few people - exaggerated for comic effect. It was highly unlikely Ian Cranson would be sitting next to us.  

Guest LittleG
4 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/hashtags-keiren-westwood-and-drink-your-local-bar-alex-millers-sheffield-wednesday-column-1884756

Yet another article highlighting the nasty side of some our so called fans. These people are not fans, they are haters and are holding us back. They are anti fans and part of the problem. 

Like you I cannot get to grips with any so called fan that posts abuse on Twitter or whatever, however these things have to be taken into context. A few idiots on social media are not "holding us back." There are a lot more issues to address within the club before we can start moving forward, a few idiots (that every club has) is the least of our problems at the moment.

Guest LittleG
6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

People mopaning about social media - but without it you'd never be party to amazing scoops like this

You can see from his other posts on Twitter what an eloquent, well spoken, educated individual he is.

3 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

They are hardly holding us back.

All clubs have a bunch of online morons - we're no different.

Yeah so lets stand up and be proud of them? Minority's are the ones to watch out for though. They kill and spoil things, while the majority watches on, or walks by.

Sorry but our club has bragged often enough about the size of our following on social media and shown figures to support those claims. So just maybe, the problem is bigger than you think. I forgot how big and hard everybody was on here, how so mentally strong all us whingers and whiners are! Quite honestly Owlstalk is nowhere near to being close to representing the full spectrum of our clubs fans. Past polls have shown that very clearly. The low levels of support shown by so many of the comments is sickening enough for a lot of fans n her snd the majority of ouf fans cannot be bothered t come on here because of certain bad attitudes. I cant imagine how bad the twitter comments have been against our players over the last few years, but it apperently it isnt getting any better and I reckon it says more about the abuser's weak mental health than it does sbout the abused.

I am only empathising with those who have spoken out about these issues. It is far easier to be flippant about them if you are unaffected, or untouched by them, or just do not care about the people who have been affected by them.  

21 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Occasionally but it would be a private thing between a few people - exaggerated for comic effect. It was highly unlikely Ian Cranson would be sitting next to us.  

Was it about his headband - there was no excuse really.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Like you I cannot get to grips with any so called fan that posts abuse on Twitter or whatever, however these things have to be taken into context. A few idiots on social media are not "holding us back." There are a lot more issues to address within the club before we can start moving forward, a few idiots (that every club has) is the least of our problems at the moment.

Sorry I am taking more of a scientific, approach to this. In a sport where you want everybody to pull together in the same direction, those that pull the other way are not helping, they are either holding you back, slowing you down, or in a tug of war say, they would actually be workng against you. I love it when the opposition fans are having a go at their team, ut usuaoly means we are winning.