PART OF THE PROBLEM

Guest LondonOwl313

Can’t believe how many people think that the players should be immune from criticism whether at matches or on social media. Obviously outright abuse shouldn’t be allowed and it’s actually illegal in a lot of cases depending on what’s said. But anything else is pretty much impossible to police.. it’s not a criminal offence to call someone ‘sh*t at football’. It’s part of being a player and they should expect it if they’re not playing well... most successful people don’t overly concern themselves with others opinions, a lion does not concern itself with the opinions of the sheep, especially the twitter sheep. 

It’s pretty simple.. put a shift in and perform well and the fans will react positively and then momentum builds... but that needs to come from the players, you can’t expect the fans to motivate when you’re 3-0 down at home to Reading. And the strength to do that comes from within, and tbh if you’re motivating yourself you give zero f*cks about what someone else thinks.. particularly someone who earns a fraction of what you do, doesn’t have as an attractive a bird as you do, isn’t as athletic as you are.. that might upset a lot of people to say it as bluntly as that but you don’t get to be a pro footballer usually if you’re overly sensitive to things. 

If I was Joey Pelupessy for example, I’d know I’m quite limited at this level of football as that’s quite obvious. But I’d also be happy with my salary, physique and life so wouldn’t care less if some fat 50 year old bloke on £20k a year with a munter for a wife wants to say I’m cr*p. Wouldn’t get to me at all if I was him as he’s winning at life 

2 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Seems to me.the players are.looking for a little sympathy deflection.  These articles always pop out when things get rough.

Simple answer to all this

Play better and try when being paid obscene amounts of money.

It got Fox a player of the month award. 

If players can’t hack it here, then they’d have no chance anywhere else. 

We put up with the most average of players and make them into hero’s. 

9 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

It does make me wonder why they are all so keen to be on social media. Take someone like Alastair Cook who basically didn't give a t0ss about twitter, facebook, instagram, etc and had a very successful 13 year international career in cricket, gaining a reputation for having great mental reserves of concentration. The cynic in me could say that players with successful social media accounts receive more money for sponsorship, but think that's more on the Paul Pogba level than SWFC players. I think there's also the herd mentality in footballers that they tend to do what all the other players do.

If our players can’t handle it from 50 or so weirdos that might message the odd non positive remark 

Makes you wonder how Rooney became England’s greatest goal scorer - with the non stop abuse he got. 

In todays world the phrase “survival of the fittest” still remains key 

12 hours ago, prowl said:

You mention constructive criticism but then criticise without being constructive.

You could have said Pelupessy has poor positional sense and I think the coaches should drill him on how to take the best position in certain circumstances,. If they did that he would provide better cover for the defence.

Basically identify a problem and suggest a way to overcome it. Just giving your personal opinion of a players failings isn't being constructive.

You make a good general point.

Unfortunately with Pelupessy, I just don't think he has the qualities for us or another championship club, and doubt coaching to do a fairly basic job of protecting the back 4 is going to improve him to the levels we want/need. Positional sense is almost a standard/basic attribute you learn as a kid/youth/academy. At 26, you would expect this, as a key requirement of a defensive midfield player, would already be there. I totally acknowledge it's not his fault - more the club and it represents our shocking failings in midfield acquisitions - Abdi, Jones etc, over the last four years.

If I was being constructive, I would say we needed to move him on for the good of both parties in the Summer just gone - we didn't because of the club's financial situation. This will happen in three months anyhow.

11 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Personally, I don't see why it has to be constructive. You write as if all Pelupessy needs is a little bit more coaching and he will become a top-level championship player. If it was that easy we would have done it already. Some players aren't going to be good enough no matter how much constructive advice they get from the coaches, and there is nothing wrong with the fans pointing this out. For instance, all the coaching in the world won't make Nuhiu quick, or Pelupessy for that matter creative on the ball.

I didn't say it had to be constructive. The poster I replied to did.

On 21/02/2020 at 11:05, Wednesday_Jack said:

Sadly social media gives complete and utter cowardly morons a platform and the confidence to speak their mind!!!

Half the stuff that is typed on social media would never be spoken because a lot of people haven’t got the testicles to do so!!! 

only seconds before I read you post was I thinking....many years before the internet if you wanted to say anything it was in writing to the green un (way too much trouble, except for disgusted from Worthing who wrote in every week) praise or grumble 50% of contributors who hadn't been to the game, and that was about it. 

now we have all these keyboard warriors 'penning' utter gobshyte articles, way back if you'd have done that verbally somebody would have offered to fill it for you, but nowadays they hide behind anonymity and pour out bile week in, week out.