PART OF THE PROBLEM

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/hashtags-keiren-westwood-and-drink-your-local-bar-alex-millers-sheffield-wednesday-column-1884756

Yet another article highlighting the nasty side of some our so called fans. These people are not fans, they are haters and are holding us back. They are anti fans and part of the problem. 

personally would say it’s the players holding us back more at the minute! This is just a small minority of fans that you seem to get everywhere you go, especially when they have got a beer inside them. 

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I often try to think of it this way too: 
Hypothetically if as a SWFC fan, I grew up and signed for say Lecce abroad in Italy (with no emotional connection to them at all) and the fans started giving me dogs abuse week after week when im trying my best, would i want to play for them?

No. Doesn't mean id  stop trying, you'd play for your professional pride and your teammates, but i'd definitely have that in the back of my mind and can see why some players might not want to engage at all with fans. 

Yes, even if your manager has picked you up, told you to keep doing all the good things you do, it must gradually grind you down when your own fans are having a go at you, as though they just want to see you break. When certain players miss a tackle or misplace a pass you instantly hear the complaints from the stands at Hillsborough, but as a set of players you must kep rising to the challenge, but still get really fed up with that, especially if your confidence is already low. Monk seems to be genuinely trying to lift the team and the individual players and he has done a great job with Fox and a couple of other players that were having a rough time of it, but he is hust one man. We all need to be more positive and get behind our players when they are having a bad time. We need to give them a lift and all those so called fans that call positive fans, giving only positive support, "happy clappers" need to manage their anger and frustration. We support Sheffield Wednesday in a division of very average teams and we are struggling because we are simply not consistently good enough to win enough points and we are not all pulling together. Supporters dont just support their team for the first five minutes, or until we are 2-0 down, or 7-1 down, they stick by their team and support them.     

• Like 2

Modern day behaviour has become absolutely obsessed with 'Information' and constant use of modern media. It is one thing to stand face to face with a person and verbally abuse him. He can then either put his point pf view, or better still, punch you on he nose.. Unfortunately, either of these require something that far too many people lack - GUTS. I am in no way satisfied with the current state of affairs at S6, but can see little point in the level of abuse it is so easy to put out on 'social media.

Perhaps it would be better for players if they followed my example, and refuse to use Facebook /Twitter and their like. As my old man always said 'Call me what you like, so long as you don't call me late for dinner'..

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

Yes, even if your manager has picked you up, told you to keep doing all the good things you do, it must gradually grind you down when your own fans are having a go at you, as though they just want to see you break. When certain players miss a tackle or misplace a pass you instantly hear the complaints from the stands at Hillsborough, but as a set of players you must kep rising to the challenge, but still get really fed up with that, especially if your confidence is already low. Monk seems to be genuinely trying to lift the team and the individual players and he has done a great job with Fox and a couple of other players that were having a rough time of it, but he is hust one man. We all need to be more positive and get behind our players when they are having a bad time. We need to give them a lift and all those so called fans that call positive fans, giving only positive support, "happy clappers" need to manage their anger and frustration. We support Sheffield Wednesday in a division of very average teams and we are struggling because we are simply not consistently good enough to win enough points and we are not all pulling together. Supporters dont just support their team for the first five minutes, or until we are 2-0 down, or 7-1 down, they stick by their team and support them.     

You do realise that players are paid fortunes to cope with criticism?
Wednesday fans are no different from any other club. Play well and show some balls and the crowd will get behind you.
Play crap and lose 5-0 at home to Blackburn and 3-0 at home to Reading then expect to get some stick. If you don't like it then do something else for a living.

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

You do realise that players are paid fortunes to cope with criticism?
Wednesday fans are no different from any other club. Play well and show some balls and the crowd will get behind you.
Play crap and lose 5-0 at home to Blackburn and 3-0 at home to Reading then expect to get some stick. If you don't like it then do something else for a living.

Sorry. I was under the impression that they were paid for their football ability.

Strange  how they still take 4000 fans away, fans who cheer them what may.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buxtongent said:

Sorry. I was under the impression that they were paid for their football ability.

Think part of the job description of being a professional footballer is that you have to cope with the crowd sometimes.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think part of the job description of being a professional footballer is that you have to cope with the crowd sometimes.

I would certainly hope NOT.. Find me a scorer who can score goals, win us matches, then walk off the field completely  ignoring the fans, to one who is o ly looking to please the fans anytime.

3 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

I would certainly hope NOT.. Find me a scorer who can score goals, win us matches, then walk off the field completely  ignoring the fans, to one who is o ly looking to please the fans anytime.

I dont fully understand this. If a player cant rise above a bit of stick from the crowd then he is no good to us.

Think players have to expect some stick from the crowd after recent awful performances. 

It shouldn't be linked to Wednesday or even Football, it's a much bigger problem in society.  Football gets a bad reputation over social media abuse, perhaps because it's in the public eye.  However, it's going on everywhere and has got to a stage where you can't really have any form of debate or even opinion on things, the moment someone disagrees it tends to turn into abuse rather than a debate about the subject - sadly it happens on here and every other online forum.  

I've never bothered with Twitter and came away from Facebook a good 10 years back.  It got to the stage where I really started to dislike the online persona of some very close Friends and Family.  I view it the same as how some people are when they've had a drink, you tend to see the real side to them and hear what they really think.   

There are a whole generation of people hiding behind a keyboard who have become accustomed to abusing someone without the fear of getting punched in the face.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

They are hardly holding us back.

All clubs have a bunch of online morons - we're no different.

Actually thats a good point, although certain people go way too far either intentionally or otherwise and sometimes have no idea what impact they can have on someones life by spewing venom, it isn't holding us back as such compared to other clubs, as they all have their trolls.

1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

You didn't go to Luton then ?

3 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

I can't read that article without subscribing to the Stir. 

Just add ?&amp to the end of the URL to bypass the paywall: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/hashtags-keiren-westwood-and-drink-your-local-bar-alex-millers-sheffield-wednesday-column-1884756?&amp

• Like 1

Personal abuse unacceptable.

However, if anybody doesn't do their job properly, they would expect customers to criticise their performance.  That is more than acceptable.

As ever with this type of debate, I have absolutely no idea why any public figure would think it a good idea to engage in social media.  And if they do, don't be offended by the results because one thing that is 100% certain is that the abuse is coming.

2 hours ago, torres said:

Why does anyone bother with this or facebook - i would honestly love to know.

Both are perfect for news/advertising/information  - why do individuals have a page??

Depends how you use it.

I've never had Facebook but am able to pick up on football and other news from Twitter quickly, all depends on who you follow in terms of the validity of information. Don't tend to look at the abusive stuff but I guess if you are in the public eye and the abuse is directed at you that would be much more difficult to ignore.