PART OF THE PROBLEM

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/hashtags-keiren-westwood-and-drink-your-local-bar-alex-millers-sheffield-wednesday-column-1884756

Yet another article highlighting the nasty side of some our so called fans. These people are not fans, they are haters and are holding us back. They are anti fans and part of the problem. 

• Haha 1

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

It’s as bad on here. The number of “the world is ending” threads and hateful posts on here the past few weeks has been ridiculous. I’ve barely bothered to look at it, as all it does is give me negative feelings towards the club I adore.

8 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

I can't read that article without subscribing to the Stir. 

Sorry I have the same problem snd have to use a vpn to view them, here you go....

Skipping through the door, you settle in for the evening, chew the fat on a few of your favourite hashtags, sample a refreshing meme or two and share a few laughs. Everyone is smiling, strangers are hugging and every now and then someone buys you a virtual pint.

A difference in opinion? We’re all friends here, chum. I’ll have another.

But when a football team is losing, well, it’s a very different place altogether. It’s drunk at 4am in the back of a meat wagon. And people are angry.

Faces are bloodied and tempers flared. The hatred in the air is outstripped only by the smell of something nasty and everybody is screaming at one another.

Right now, after a run of one win in 10 games, Sheffield Wednesday Twitter is slumped in the back of that stinking meat wagon.

This comes, of course, in a week of self-reflection on social media after the tragic and preventable death of TV presenter Caroline Flack on Saturday.

The harrowing circumstances surrounding her suicide are better documented elsewhere, but the tragedy jumped into the consciousness of the Wednesday family on Monday when taking to Twitter, Keiren Westwood referenced her death and centred on the affects of social media nastiness in his clarification of his current position at the club.

Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper Keiren Westwood has discussed the use of social media this week.

The hashtag #BeKind – pushed out later that evening by Flack’s former TV show and somewhat classlessly ‘sponsored’ by a food delivery service – was circulated for several days while the nation took a deep breath and thought about its use of social media. Online abuse, it was unanimously agreed, is not on.

Just a day later another Sheffield Wednesday player volunteered his time to take part in a ‘mock press conference’ with journalism students from a local university.

The same player did it last year, he had no contractual obligation to do so and – at a time where few players have dared to put their head above the parapet – spoke passionately about his love for the club and his determination to help however he can in turning around its fortunes.

The Star were invited and have run a number of stories on what he told those present. And alongside a sprinkling of honest debate about the content of the articles, in rolled that meat wagon, the spirit of #BeKind suspended.

Messages of abuse were tweeted in response to every story posted with this player at the centre. Most messages are not suitable for publication – many replies included language so aggressive it was automatically screened by Twitter algorithms.

Football without passion is nothing. Wednesday fans pay their hard-earned cash to support their team and have every right to be angry at how things are going.

Snowflake? Perhaps. But in the tortured words of Caroline Flack’s friend Kevin Adams: “You don’t need to be kind. If you see someone you don’t like, you don’t need to tell them. Just leave them alone.”

Edited by Ante's Bubbly
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

It is a small minority of idiots and you get them at every football club. 

Twitter is ripe for that kind of stuff as the moderation on that site is woeful. 

I have no idea why any professional footballer bothers with it tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/hashtags-keiren-westwood-and-drink-your-local-bar-alex-millers-sheffield-wednesday-column-1884756

Yet another article highlighting the nasty side of some our so called fans. These people are not fans, they are haters and are holding us back. They are anti fans and part of the problem. 

They are hardly holding us back.

All clubs have a bunch of online morons - we're no different.

Just a day later another Sheffield Wednesday player volunteered his time to take part in a ‘mock press conference’ with journalism students from a local university.

The same player did it last year, he had no contractual obligation to do so

^ Any idea who this was? 

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Just a day later another Sheffield Wednesday player volunteered his time to take part in a ‘mock press conference’ with journalism students from a local university.

The same player did it last year, he had no contractual obligation to do so

^ Any idea who this was? 

There was a rush of posts and threads on social media, including some on here about Pelupessy. He may not be the most technically talented of players, but he is not our worst performer and he gives us everything he can. It is not his fault that the team we support do not have anybody running the club that is capable of finding anybody better, and I mean our owner and his appointed advisors, not his coaching staff.  

In terms of effectiveness there are 7 players below him on the whoscored.com SWFC site and a couple of those have been Shefield Wednesday heroes!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

There was a rush of posts and threads on social media, including some on here about Pelupessy. He may not be the most technically talented of players, but he is not our worst performer and he gives us everything he can. It is not his fault that the team we support do not have anybody running the club that is capable of finding anybody better, and I mean our owner and his appointed advisors, not his coaching staff.  

In terms of effectiveness there are 7 players below him on the whoscored.com SWFC site and a couple of those have been Shefield Wednesday heroes!

I often try to think of it this way too: 
Hypothetically if as a SWFC fan, I grew up and signed for say Lecce abroad in Italy (with no emotional connection to them at all) and the fans started giving me dogs abuse week after week when im trying my best, would i want to play for them?

No. Doesn't mean id  stop trying, you'd play for your professional pride and your teammates, but i'd definitely have that in the back of my mind and can see why some players might not want to engage at all with fans. 

5 minutes ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I think you have to differentiate between abuse and constructive criticism.

My personal view on Pelupessy is long held, in that he's a poor championship player who offers little to the team - creates little and has no presence in the midfield. He'll either go back to league 2 in Holland or if he stays in England drift off into league 1 (hopefully not with us). Whether he's our worst performer is very subjective - not sure what criteria the 'whoscored' rankings is based.

That's my considered opinion of him. We should be able to express this without being labelled 'haters' and trolls or whatever. Yes, his presence in the team, like Nuihu, is because of poor management above him.

It's a tuff business and whilst interaction with the general public is expected, there are many loons out there who for whatever reason or motivation want to disrupt. The club have a duty of care to protect them as employees, and that's as good as it gets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

I can't read that article without subscribing to the Stir. 

If you use Chrome you can access it by using Chrome's incognito mode.  If you use Firefox you can use its 'New Private window' mode.  Either doesn't improve the journalism though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

It is a small minority of idiots and you get them at every football club. 

Twitter is ripe for that kind of stuff as the moderation on that site is woeful. 

I have no idea why any professional footballer bothers with it tbh

Why does anyone bother with this or facebook - i would honestly love to know.

Both are perfect for news/advertising/information  - why do individuals have a page??

• Like 1

Also this week they seems to be a bit of publicity about mental health of footballers and about how stick from the crowd and on social media can have an negative effect on them.

I have never once seen anyone say you are not allowed to abuse or boo the referee. Attitude toward the refs seems to be if you dont like I then no one is forcing you to do it.

Edited by matthefish2002