• Reach
    • Bannan
    • Fletcher
    • Luongo
    • Harris
    • Lees
    • Forestieri
    • Nuhiu

Although I thought Harris had a poor game at least he showed a bit of courage to attack the defence and place his shot just moments after blasting one into Rotherham. There was a round of groans after his first attempt but he showed some bottle to go again. It's that sort of hard mentality that the rest of the team lacks, FF apart. 

Dawson - 7 - Quiet game. No chance with the goal. Dealt with everything else with ease and confidence.

Odubajo - 6 - Some good, some indifferent. Defended alright, his pace got him out of a few sticky situations. Generally, his possession play wasn't great, but great effort in the first half. 

Iorfa - 8 - Man of the Match - Superb. Loving the amount of confidence he's playing with at the minute. The way he's bringing the ball out of defence is something we really need to exploit. 

Borner - 6 - He plays aggressively, and looks to nip in front of attackers, but he got it wrong on a couple of occasions, and ultimately cost him a yellow card. 

Fox - 7 - Had a lot of the ball, especially in the 2nd half when Forestieri moved out wide. Got caught out for the goal, but he wasn't the only one guilty during that phase of play. 

Bannan - 6 - As always, he's our main creative line, and he provided a large amount of the impetus. Just felt, generally, he was a little sloppy with the ball at times. 

Lee - 7 - Thought he was the best player on the pitch before he was inexplicably substituted. Looked like the Lee of old...drifting in between lines, exploiting space, and was unfortunate not to score in the 1st half. We lost total control of the midfield for about 15 minutes after he went off, and had Birmingham been better, and more ambitious, they could've killed the game off. 

Luongo - 6 - Thought he had a very good 1st half, and both he and Lee provided good options from midfield (I can see them working within a three). However, 2nd half, he looked leggy and off it...whether it was tiredness or just that fact he struggled with the change in shape, I don't know. 

Reach - 4 - It seems, every time he get himself back into the side, he performs like a buffoon. Should've been dragged off when Forestieri was introduced. 

Harris - 6 - Not his best game. Bit wasteful at times, but scored a good goal. With Forestieri impressing, he's going to have to up his game. Be interesting to see if Monk shifts him across to the right hand side to accommodate FF. 

Fletcher - 6 - He brings to the side a consistency. You know what you're going to get with him...he'll battled away, chase lost causes, link up play...but he won't score an abundance of goals. It's an issue. 

Lees - 6 - Caught cold when introduced at half time. Dragged out of position for the goal, leaving a huge void in behind him. But felt he dealt with Jutkiewiez very well when he came on. 

Forestieri - 7 - Provided a spark. He's something we haven't got, and on football reason alone...has to play. Although I felt he lacked quality and composure, the fact that he looked to drive towards goal from wide areas provided oceans of space for Fox, and made us really dominant in central areas. He needs to smarten himself up (I personally think he's already got more than half an eye on his next destination)...if he does, he could be the difference. Unfortunately, I just don't think he'll provide it. Hope I'm wrong. 

Nuhiu - 6 - Did well. Linked up nicely with FF.  

Overall...

It was a game we should've won...but much of the same issues keep holding us back. That said, I thought the trio of Bannan, Luongo and Lee offered some positives, especially the movement and licence to get forward both Lee and Luongo were given. The introduction of Forestieri showed us a glimpse of how we could function if we got him playing week in, week out. He HAS to play as a wide forward...he creates space, is a real goal threat and is really difficult to pick up. The amount of space Fox was awarded when FF moved out left was ridiculous. 

We dominated the game for 70 minutes. In the 1st half we controlled the game without really doing enough to stretch and worry Birmingham.  We lost our way for 20 minutes after Birmingham's goal when Lee was taken off and FF went up front. But once Nuhiu came on, and we went to a 4-2-4, we finished the game really strongly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

We dominated the game for 70 minutes. In the 1st half we controlled the game without really doing enough to stretch and worry Birmingham.  We lost our way for 20 minutes after Birmingham's goal when Lee was taken off and FF went up front. But once Nuhiu came on, and we went to a 4-2-4, we finished the game really strongly. 

I've seen this in a few games now - Monk brings FF on, but that we don't see the full benefit of it until we also bring Nuhiu on maybe 10 or 15 minutes later.

Monk made his subs far earlier in the game on Wednesday than what he tends to, but obviously the fact we went a goal down not long after the restart was the main reason for that. Still, it seems that the introduction of FF and Nuhiu, given the formation change that their introduction tends to bring about, needs to be as part of a double substitution (or at least closely together).

1 hour ago, cowl said:

I've seen this in a few games now - Monk brings FF on, but that we don't see the full benefit of it until we also bring Nuhiu on maybe 10 or 15 minutes later.

Monk made his subs far earlier in the game on Wednesday than what he tends to, but obviously the fact we went a goal down not long after the restart was the main reason for that. Still, it seems that the introduction of FF and Nuhiu, given the formation change that their introduction tends to bring about, needs to be as part of a double substitution (or at least closely together).

We certainly lost our way initially when FF came on. 

That said, I think that was more to do with Lee going off. Up to that point, we had controlled the midfield. For 15 minutes, Birmingham completed overran us through the middle. 

Nuhiu and FF do seem to link up well however. They just seem to read each others game. No other player tends to "get" Forestieri, like Nuhiu does. 

5 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

We certainly lost our way initially when FF came on. 

That said, I think that was more to do with Lee going off. Up to that point, we had controlled the midfield. For 15 minutes, Birmingham completed overran us through the middle. 

Nuhiu and FF do seem to link up well however. They just seem to read each others game. No other player tends to "get" Forestieri, like Nuhiu does. 

I'll not argue with that because I agree. They do work together well.

My question to Monk though would be what's the plan when you bring FF on? Losing some control over a midfield that I also felt we had a decent foothold on is fine if you want to get more going on further up the pitch, but, not for the first time, has it been the case that bringing FF on alone doesn't pay this dividend until we bring Nuhiu on as well. FF came on in the 56th, and Nuhiu in the 67th; best would've been them both coming on in the 56th, but I'd have even preferred to see them both not come on until the 67th rather than the way we did it.

Spacing those two subs out like that means we mostly lose those minutes in between. This also happened most markedly at Blackburn away too (although, admittedly, it lead up to the moment we actually scored!), a game which had long been crying out for us to step up our control of.

26 minutes ago, cowl said:

I'll not argue with that because I agree. They do work together well.

My question to Monk though would be what's the plan when you bring FF on? Losing some control over a midfield that I also felt we had a decent foothold on is fine if you want to get more going on further up the pitch, but, not for the first time, has it been the case that bringing FF on alone doesn't pay this dividend until we bring Nuhiu on as well. FF came on in the 56th, and Nuhiu in the 67th; best would've been them both coming on in the 56th, but I'd have even preferred to see them both not come on until the 67th rather than the way we did it.

Spacing those two subs out like that means we mostly lose those minutes in between. This also happened most markedly at Blackburn away too (although, admittedly, it lead up to the moment we actually scored!), a game which had long been crying out for us to step up our control of.

Preston early season the same.

FF came on after 46 to partner Fletcher and he barely touched the ball. We were poor until Nuhiu joined the fray, then FF, Nuhiu and Fletcher tore Preston apart for the final 20 minutes and we were unlucky not to get level.

The change should never be to go 442 with FF joining Fletcher. It should be to replace Reach, Harris or Murphy with FF, with Nuhiu joining Fletcher.

5 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Dawson - 7 - Quiet game. No chance with the goal. Dealt with everything else with ease and confidence.

Odubajo - 6 - Some good, some indifferent. Defended alright, his pace got him out of a few sticky situations. Generally, his possession play wasn't great, but great effort in the first half. 

Iorfa - 8 - Man of the Match - Superb. Loving the amount of confidence he's playing with at the minute. The way he's bringing the ball out of defence is something we really need to exploit. 

Borner - 6 - He plays aggressively, and looks to nip in front of attackers, but he got it wrong on a couple of occasions, and ultimately cost him a yellow card. 

Fox - 7 - Had a lot of the ball, especially in the 2nd half when Forestieri moved out wide. Got caught out for the goal, but he wasn't the only one guilty during that phase of play. 

Bannan - 6 - As always, he's our main creative line, and he provided a large amount of the impetus. Just felt, generally, he was a little sloppy with the ball at times. 

Lee - 7 - Thought he was the best player on the pitch before he was inexplicably substituted. Looked like the Lee of old...drifting in between lines, exploiting space, and was unfortunate not to score in the 1st half. We lost total control of the midfield for about 15 minutes after he went off, and had Birmingham been better, and more ambitious, they could've killed the game off. 

Luongo - 6 - Thought he had a very good 1st half, and both he and Lee provided good options from midfield (I can see them working within a three). However, 2nd half, he looked leggy and off it...whether it was tiredness or just that fact he struggled with the change in shape, I don't know. 

Reach - 4 - It seems, every time he get himself back into the side, he performs like a buffoon. Should've been dragged off when Forestieri was introduced. 

Harris - 6 - Not his best game. Bit wasteful at times, but scored a good goal. With Forestieri impressing, he's going to have to up his game. Be interesting to see if Monk shifts him across to the right hand side to accommodate FF. 

Fletcher - 6 - He brings to the side a consistency. You know what you're going to get with him...he'll battled away, chase lost causes, link up play...but he won't score an abundance of goals. It's an issue. 

Lees - 6 - Caught cold when introduced at half time. Dragged out of position for the goal, leaving a huge void in behind him. But felt he dealt with Jutkiewiez very well when he came on. 

Forestieri - 7 - Provided a spark. He's something we haven't got, and on football reason alone...has to play. Although I felt he lacked quality and composure, the fact that he looked to drive towards goal from wide areas provided oceans of space for Fox, and made us really dominant in central areas. He needs to smarten himself up (I personally think he's already got more than half an eye on his next destination)...if he does, he could be the difference. Unfortunately, I just don't think he'll provide it. Hope I'm wrong. 

Nuhiu - 6 - Did well. Linked up nicely with FF.  

Overall...

It was a game we should've won...but much of the same issues keep holding us back. That said, I thought the trio of Bannan, Luongo and Lee offered some positives, especially the movement and licence to get forward both Lee and Luongo were given. The introduction of Forestieri showed us a glimpse of how we could function if we got him playing week in, week out. He HAS to play as a wide forward...he creates space, is a real goal threat and is really difficult to pick up. The amount of space Fox was awarded when FF moved out left was ridiculous. 

Really enjoy reading your reviews Fras.

Dont always agree with the points you award but you always give food for thought.

• Thanks 1