Fletcher and Rhodes

Why not try Fletcher and Rhodes up front together. Fletcher by himself does to provide enough goals but he could be the perfect foil for Rhodes. Combine that with pace and supply from the wings and it could work... Certainly worth and try and looked promising in pre-season.

If we are to have a successful season, we need to work out where the goals are going to come from and how we get the best out of the bunch of strikers we have. Seems an obvious place to start.

I just have a feeling that if we went back to 4-4-2 for a long stretch one of the wingers would be dropped for a more workline like player on one of the wings to tuck inside and help out in midfield.

Still. Valid point re: Rhodes , even at his peak he only ever worked in a pair. 

6 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Why not try Fletcher and Rhodes up front together. Fletcher by himself does to provide enough goals but he could be the perfect foil for Rhodes. Combine that with pace and supply from the wings and it could work... Certainly worth and try and looked promising in pre-season.

If we are to have a successful season, we need to work out where the goals are going to come from and how we get the best out of the bunch of strikers we have. Seems an obvious place to start.

Rhodes isn't very good that's why 

• Haha 1

You make a decent point

We have no chance of promotion with our current system

We do not score enough goals which ultimately is what gets teams promoted

The pigs scored a shedload last season which in the end proved the difference 

I've said in other threads that I feel we made a mistake in releasing Hooper as he would have flourished with our pacy wingers and he and Fletcher had a great understanding whenever they were paired together uptop

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

I think its time we stopped trying to get the best out of Rhodes. He isn't the player he was.

I agree about lack of goals but I think the key is to get the best out of Forestieri, not only will he score but he can create.

I don’t see him and Fletcher ever working well together and that’s the problem - how do we make the pieces fit together and get the best out of what are good (and expensive) players.

1 minute ago, IWEDFM said:

You make a decent point

I've said in other threads that I feel we made a mistake in releasing Hooper as he would have flourished with our pacy wingers and he and Fletcher had a great understanding whenever they were paired together uptop

No brainier IF he could have stayed fit!!

1 minute ago, We are all Wednesday said:

I don’t see him and Fletcher ever working well together and that’s the problem - how do we make the pieces fit together and get the best out of what are good (and expensive) players.

Forestieri ??

I think he should play in an attacking midfield role, myself id go 4231 with Forestieri as one of the 3.

Guest LittleG
3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think its time we stopped trying to get the best out of Rhodes. He isn't the player he was.

I agree about lack of goals but I think the key is to get the best out of Forestieri, not only will he score but he can create.

Agree. He is the one forward who can create for himself and others plus score. I said at the start of the season we wouldn't score enough goals; we need to integrate FF into this side. Fletch, Nuihu, Rhodes  and Winnall are either not prolific or not good enough.

6 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Forestieri ??

I think he should play in an attacking midfield role, myself id go 4231 with Forestieri as one of the 3.

Yeah.

Just not sure he will contribute to the same level as previously with Fletcher in the team - my view is that he put his nose out of joint.

Could be worth a try though - although think it would result in Fessi driving towards goal rather than supplying.

Edited by We are all Wednesday

22 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

We have tried this several times and it hasn't worked.

Guest wilyfox

I wouldn't waste anymore henergy on Jordan Rhodes, absolutely sure. He must go to the outside. Probarbly, we look to upgrade the position. In January the transfer window will be open, not just to the Sheffield Wednesday but all of the clubs in all of the world. We will be with our eyes open, not sleeping. Maybe the chairman can do something, we will see. 

Edited by wilyfox

Just now, NYowl said:

We have tried this several times and it hasn't worked.

Have we, over the course of a few games i.e. a minimum of 8-10? To allow them to get up to match sharpness and learn each other’s game...

We certainly need to explore both of the options above as a significant change is required up top of we want to compete.

14 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

You make a decent point

Hooper has had his day, we did exactly the right thing in releasing him.

He is a free agent and no one has signed him really says a lot.

5 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I wouldn't waste anymore henergy on Jordan Rhodes, absolutely sure. He must go to the outside. Probarbly, we look to upgrade the position. In January the transfer will be open, not just to the Sheffield Wednesday but all of the clubs in all of the world. We will be with our eyes open, not sleeping. Maybe the chairman can do something, we will see. 

We have strikers who are proven goal scorers in the club though. Why create more debt/FFP issues without properly exploring the options first?

Edited by We are all Wednesday