Fletcher and Rhodes

22 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think its time we stopped trying to get the best out of Rhodes. He isn't the player he was.

I agree about lack of goals but I think the key is to get the best out of Forestieri, not only will he score but he can create.

Would like to see FF wide left and Harris wide right vs QPR. 

If we did go 2 strikers it would be Fletch and Nuhiu for me, defenders nightmare

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Why not try Fletcher and Rhodes up front together. Fletcher by himself does to provide enough goals but he could be the perfect foil for Rhodes. Combine that with pace and supply from the wings and it could work... Certainly worth and try and looked promising in pre-season.

If we are to have a successful season, we need to work out where the goals are going to come from and how we get the best out of the bunch of strikers we have. Seems an obvious place to start.

Agree we have to get more goals, but Rhodes is not the answer, no matter ho we try to accommodate him it doesn't seem to work for him.

we would be better of focusing on getting more goals out of the rest of the team.

20 minutes ago, LittleG said:

Agree. He is the one forward who can create for himself and others plus score. I said at the start of the season we wouldn't score enough goals; we need to integrate FF into this side. Fletch, Nuihu, Rhodes  and Winnall are either not prolific or not good enough.

Top Post

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, We are all Wednesday said:

We have strikers who are proven goal scorers in the club though. Why create more debt without properly exploring the options first?

Fair to say those options have been explored. Rhodes hasn't held down a first-team place anywhere for 3yrs. Winnall has been out of favour from the moment he walked through the door 2+1/2yrs ago. We have 5 strikers; 3 of them are trying to roll back the years, and only 2 suit how we play. We've had the same pool of strikers for years. Bar Fletcher, they've gone stale. Need a newbie to liven things up. Rhodes, Winnall, and Forestieri gotta go. 

17 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Yeah.

Just not sure he will contribute to the same level as previously with Fletcher in the team - my view is that he put his nose out of joint.

Could be worth a try though - although think it would result in Fessi driving towards goal rather than supplying.

See with this system we might also be able to get the best out of Bannan. He is again a fantastic player and when all is going our way he dictates the game. However, when its not he either disappears or goes and plays CB spraying the ball which makes us even more negative.

Imagine having an attacking three of Bannan Forestieri Harris with the full backs bombing on and one of the CM players (Lee Luongo).

30 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think its time we stopped trying to get the best out of Rhodes. He isn't the player he was.

I agree about lack of goals but I think the key is to get the best out of Forestieri, not only will he score but he can create.

There's very little evidence FF is the player he was either. I really wish he was but we just get occasional glimpses.

7 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Would like to see FF wide left and Harris wide right vs QPR. 

If we did go 2 strikers it would be Fletch and Nuhiu for me, defenders nightmare

I think we need to go

Hutchinson Luongo

Bannan Forestieri Harris

Fletcher

At home especially !!! Those attacking three can all play in whatever position they like as long as there covering eachother.

32 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

I've said in other threads that I feel we made a mistake in releasing Hooper as he would have flourished with our pacy wingers and he and Fletcher had a great understanding whenever they were paired together uptop

Think Hooper is the best striker we've had for a very long time, his fitness record was the problem however!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, prowl said:

There's very little evidence FF is the player he was either. I really wish he was but we just get occasional glimpses.

This is true, but with what you have seen would you not rather try get him to be the player he was than Rhodes ? Forestieri can create and score where as Rhodes depends on others to get him goals.

1 hour ago, We are all Wednesday said:

Why not try Fletcher and Rhodes up front together. Fletcher by himself does to provide enough goals but he could be the perfect foil for Rhodes. Combine that with pace and supply from the wings and it could work... Certainly worth and try and looked promising in pre-season.

If we are to have a successful season, we need to work out where the goals are going to come from and how we get the best out of the bunch of strikers we have. Seems an obvious place to start.

The goals arnt gonna come from Rhodes,did you see him last night?!

Forget Rhodes, he's had enough chances now by various managers who have persisted with him hopping he comes good and all its done is impacted the overall team in making us worse.

I think as fans we just need to admit we dropped abollock buying him, he doesn't fit in with how we play and he's not good enough to risk changing the entire shape for.

Just need to cut or losses and at least try and loan him and recoop some of the wages, even if it's 5-10k a week.

We kid ourselves that we have proven goal scorers at the club, not for us, and mainly not in recent times. It’s all part of that myth, that we have an abundance of riches in the striking department. We do not, I can see we do not, and evidence supports that.  That’s one of the problems, while ever we keep trotting out that nonsense, we will have unrealistic expectations of what we should be achieving

Edited by gurujuan

The only way Rhodes will start to score regularly is if we play him regularly alongside a target man. We saw glimpses of this in pre-season. Unfortunately since the competitive stuff started, the karaoke bar manager has decided to go with Fletcher up top on his own? :rolleyes:

Edited by Great Big Galaa

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I wouldn't waste anymore henergy on Jordan Rhodes, absolutely sure. He must go to the outside. Probarbly, we look to upgrade the position. In January the transfer window will be open, not just to the Sheffield Wednesday but all of the clubs in all of the world. We will be with our eyes open, not sleeping. Maybe the chairman can do something, we will see. 

Will we be closing the doors and all of the windows?

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, We are all Wednesday said:

At least you could say have Reach in that role with Harris on the other side...

I was saying the other day I'd like to see us mix the wing situation up a bit. 

Instead of going with both quick lads, we could rotate say Harris & reach with Nando & Murphy. 

Gives us a different dimension and skill set, pace on one wing and either guile with Nando  or long range efforts cutting in with reach coupled with the directness and pace  of Murphy and Harris. 

Does he deserve a run in the team? On last nights showing he certainly doesn’t. I’m yet to see anything he’s offered us. When he had a decent run in the team when he first arrived I lost count on how many chances he fluffed in the box and that’s supposed to be his strong point. I just think either his legs have gone or his appetite for the game.

For me it should be Reach LW Harris RW with Fletcher and Forestieri up top. Lee, Bannan, Luongo and Hutch battling it out for the 2 centre midfield spots.