Scottish Football Returns.

18 hours ago, belfast owl lad said:

Wasn't aware of that,he seemed to be a bit of a 'super fan'.

RIP

Yeah a shame. Partick have now said today though that they’ve got funds to launch a joint legal challenge alongside Hearts. Another benefactor and at no cost to their club. Possibly someone in the family? Who knows? Great to have Thistle onboard with us anyway 👍

• Like 1

😂😂😂 Looks like the Govan tribute act may have been right all along.

SPFL face another challenge as BT Sport understood to want £3m. Rangers had claimed last month that the league could be liable for £10m in refunds.

The SPFL could be faced with a hefty bill from BT Sport following the termination of the 2019/20 campaign.

The broadcaster are on the hunt for £3million, according to the Scottish Sun.

A deal was struck by the league body with Sky Sports – who will have sole broadcasting rights when their five-year deal begins in August – for games the company missed from last season, including two Old Firm matches.

Earlier this month, SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “This is an innovative and pragmatic solution to the challenges posed by Covid-19 and I’m grateful for the flexibility shown by our clubs and by Sky Sports.

“This agreement means that any liability for games not delivered during Season 2019/20 has now been settled, on terms that reflect Sky’s status as a committed partner and supporter of Scottish football.”

BT Sport, who lost out on the rights to league action to Sky, are looking for compensation for the matches they missed, while BBC Sport, according to the report, are also seeking recompense for the coverage they missed out on.

The league was terminated following an SPFL resolution which saw the four divisions decided on a points-per-game basis.

Amidst the fallout, Rangers put forward a dossier which said the league could be liable for around £10million in refunds from broadcasters and sponsors, and that it was not made clear to clubs when voting on the resolution.

The SPFL hit back at Rangers in an open letter to member clubs.

“There is no question of the board failing to advise the clubs of a potential £10 million (or any other size of claim) arising because the Premiership is brought to a premature end because of a decision either of the members or of the board,” it read.

“That was not reported to you because it is simply not the case. The central complaint of Rangers is simply wrong and is based on a complete misunderstanding of the situation in which the League and its broadcast partners find themselves.”

The SPFL also face a legal challenge from Hearts and Partick Thistle who have joined forces following their relegation after league reconstruction was rejected.

Joint Club Statement:

Heart of Midlothian Football Club and Partick Thistle Football Club have today lodged a petition with the Court of Session to challenge the unfair and unjust decision of the SPFL to enforce relegations, to the extreme detriment of those clubs affected.

Unfortunately, Scottish football has been unable to pull together at this time of national crisis to prevent the need for this legal challenge. We desperately hoped Court action would not be necessary, but we were left with no other option.

For clarity, our petition does not seek to set aside or unravel the fee payments made to clubs, nor indeed the declaration of Champions, or the nomination of clubs who will participate in European competition.

Instead, the petition primarily seeks to reduce the unfair resolution insofar as it changed the SPFL’s rules on promotion and relegation. If that remedy is not granted by the Court, we seek, in the alternative, awards of compensation relative to the significant financial loss which the unfair relegations will visit upon us.

As matters stand, we have not asked the Court to grant an interim interdict which would prevent next Season commencing on 1 August. However, we have to reserve our right to do so in the event that becomes necessary.

We would emphasise instead that we have no wish to disrupt Scottish football but rather our aim is to have the proceedings litigated to a conclusion as quickly as possible. In that regard, the Court has today granted our motion to reduce the normal period within which the SPFL must answer our petition, to 7 days.

No further comment will be made by either Club at this time.

On 17/06/2020 at 08:51, edinburghowl said:

😂😂😂 Looks like the Govan tribute act may have been right all along.

SPFL face another challenge as BT Sport understood to want £3m. Rangers had claimed last month that the league could be liable for £10m in refunds.

The SPFL could be faced with a hefty bill from BT Sport following the termination of the 2019/20 campaign.

The broadcaster are on the hunt for £3million, according to the Scottish Sun.

A deal was struck by the league body with Sky Sports – who will have sole broadcasting rights when their five-year deal begins in August – for games the company missed from last season, including two Old Firm matches.

Earlier this month, SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “This is an innovative and pragmatic solution to the challenges posed by Covid-19 and I’m grateful for the flexibility shown by our clubs and by Sky Sports.

“This agreement means that any liability for games not delivered during Season 2019/20 has now been settled, on terms that reflect Sky’s status as a committed partner and supporter of Scottish football.”

BT Sport, who lost out on the rights to league action to Sky, are looking for compensation for the matches they missed, while BBC Sport, according to the report, are also seeking recompense for the coverage they missed out on.

The league was terminated following an SPFL resolution which saw the four divisions decided on a points-per-game basis.

Amidst the fallout, Rangers put forward a dossier which said the league could be liable for around £10million in refunds from broadcasters and sponsors, and that it was not made clear to clubs when voting on the resolution.

The SPFL hit back at Rangers in an open letter to member clubs.

“There is no question of the board failing to advise the clubs of a potential £10 million (or any other size of claim) arising because the Premiership is brought to a premature end because of a decision either of the members or of the board,” it read.

“That was not reported to you because it is simply not the case. The central complaint of Rangers is simply wrong and is based on a complete misunderstanding of the situation in which the League and its broadcast partners find themselves.”

The SPFL also face a legal challenge from Hearts and Partick Thistle who have joined forces following their relegation after league reconstruction was rejected.

Rangers were and are wrong EO. The liabilities will end at 4 million. Rangers voted to END the league so they could have an early pay out.

Daniel Stendel apparently being told not to return to Hearts with Robbie Neilson coming back from Dundee United. It’s in the press

that we’ve approached but they say United have rejected it. A guy I trust who knows folk at the club apparently says it’s a done deal and compensation is being paid.

Budge’s decision making is absolutely brutal at times. Just when the fans were united she pulls this off which will split is down the middle again 🤣

11 hours ago, John O'Brien said:

Wednesday 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’d happily see Monk gone but I’ve got a feeling he will be sticking around. I think Daniel’s next job might be in Germany. I’m honestly gutted for him because he got Hearts and had a real connection with the fans.

10 hours ago, scram said:

Is that not a strange move?

Thought Stendel was doing ok from a low base?

I think so. Stendel walked into a huge mess and showed signs that he was beginning to turn things around. There was a shocking culture of laziness, the players weren’t fit enough, many of the senior players like Glenn Whelan were taking the absolute ******** and Daniel wouldn't stand for it. We were starting to improve and I’m not sure what Budge was expecting him to do in a matter of months and without being able to sign his own players. It’s a strange one but Robbie is tried and tested in the Championship and Hearts is his club. Apparently Craig Gordon is coming back and signing a two year deal as well

10 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

What happened to Stendel? Did he get sacked?

Relegation release clause in his contract apparently. Stendel publicly said he wanted to stay and finish the job and that he would have taken a lower wage. He worked for free during Covid too. I think he has been pretty badly treated if I’m honest and it doesn’t sit well with me. Jorg Sievers gave up a 30+ year career at Hannover to come and he will no doubt be gone after a matter of months too. Very poor from the club.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

I’d happily see Monk gone but I’ve got a feeling he will be sticking around. I think Daniel’s next job might be in Germany. I’m honestly gutted for him because he got Hearts and had a real connection with the fans.

I think so. Stendel walked into a huge mess and showed signs that he was beginning to turn things around. There was a shocking culture of laziness, the players weren’t fit enough, many of the senior players like Glenn Whelan were taking the absolute ******** and Daniel wouldn't stand for it. We were starting to improve and I’m not sure what Budge was expecting him to do in a matter of months and without being able to sign his own players. It’s a strange one but Robbie is tried and tested in the Championship and Hearts is his club. Apparently Craig Gordon is coming back and signing a two year deal as well

Relegation release clause in his contract apparently. Stendel publicly said he wanted to stay and finish the job and that he would have taken a lower wage. He worked for free during Covid too. I think he has been pretty badly treated if I’m honest and it doesn’t sit well with me. Jorg Sievers gave up a 30+ year career at Hannover to come and he will no doubt be gone after a matter of months too. Very poor from the club.

Does seem a strange move but Neilson has had some success in Scotland and as you say obviously has connections to your club.Didn't he choose to leave for MK Dons not too long ago though?

Also didn't realise Hearts were so significantly bigger than Dundee Utd. Had a little look at fan base size and this does seem apparent on that basis but I grew up following football in the 80's and Dundee Utd had some decent success back then, looks like that was their pinnacle .

15 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Does seem a strange move but Neilson has had some success in Scotland and as you say obviously has connections to your club.Didn't he choose to leave for MK Dons not too long ago though?

Also didn't realise Hearts were so significantly bigger than Dundee Utd. Had a little look at fan base size and this does seem apparent on that basis but I grew up following football in the 80's and Dundee Utd had some decent success back then, looks like that was their pinnacle .

Neilson’s success has been in the second tier in Scotland which to me points to the club accepting their fate of playing in the Championship and fighting purely for compensation. I don’t think he did particularly well at MK Dons but I didn’t really pay much notice to his time there to be honest.

United had a cracking team in Paul Sturrock’s day in the 80s but other than that period they’ve been pretty irrelevant in Scottish football. Prior to that Dundee were the bigger team in the city but that’s changed now. The Dundee clubs both have a similar size fan bases but nothing compared to Hearts and Hibs. It’s either them or Killie but they are round about the 6th best supported. Top 5 is:

1) Celtic 2) Rangers 3) Hearts 4) Hibs 5) Aberdeen.

It shocking we are in this position and yes we are significantly bigger. Hearts turnover is a lot higher than the likes of Hibs and Dundee United too. Our stadium, academy, training facilities are up there with the best in the whole of Scotland. The off-field position the club is in enviable of every club outside of Glasgow. To be so bad on the pitch is unforgivable.

Interestingly there are rumours that Hibs are in big financial trouble. They’re closing their academy, they’ve enforced big wage cuts, got rid of a number of players and staff, and being forced into selling players.