First post.

2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Get the feeling I might have been a couple of years (at least) ahead of you guys 'cos none of the names you mention ring any bells with me. If Mike Entwistle had an older brother David, I was in the same year as him (left in 77 at 18).

Utah,

I left in 82. Not sure if Ents had an older brother.

10 hours ago, Reallondonowl said:

Yes, this is Mark, so you must be Steve ?

Mike Entwistle is living somewhere near Bath.

I like the idea of a reunion.

Yes Mark. Hope things are good darn sarf. Is Mike on here? I see the odd post from him on Facebook. Walt Cundy is still a big fan, as is Mik Kallai, both on FB. No one has heard from Jones for some time. I expect he's in a Thai jail on paedo charges. Not sure how practical a reunion would be, but be great if we could all meet up for a match. Any suggestions?

11 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Get the feeling I might have been a couple of years (at least) ahead of you guys 'cos none of the names you mention ring any bells with me. If Mike Entwistle had an older brother David, I was in the same year as him (left in 77 at 18).

Yes Utah, David is Mike's elder brother. Probs at AG from 72ish.

38 minutes ago, Owl Stork said:

Yes Mark. Hope things are good darn sarf. Is Mike on here? I see the odd post from him on Facebook. Walt Cundy is still a big fan, as is Mik Kallai, both on FB. No one has heard from Jones for some time. I expect he's in a Thai jail on paedo charges. Not sure how practical a reunion would be, but be great if we could all meet up for a match. Any suggestions?

That was my suggestion..meet up for a match. I have a place in Derbyshire so up most weekends during the season (work permitting) and get to the southern away games generally speaking. Gutted that Fulham got promoted.

Mike on FB but not seen on here (unless I have missed him).

Seen Mik Kallai at away games but don't think he recognises me. lol

Best thing is PM me when you plan to attend a game and we can see who else is around. Saves people flouncing who are not connected.

Edited by Reallondonowl

2 hours ago, Owl Stork said:

Yes Utah, David is Mike's elder brother. Probs at AG from 72ish.

David and I were in the same form for 7 years, from Sept '70 all the way to finishing our A'Levels. He also went by the moniker "Ents". Another couple of guys you might know (although I think from the year above you) would be Simon Bingley and John Michie (Bill Michie the MP's lad). I knew them both through Mark Bingley who was in my year and a good friend.

2 hours ago, Reallondonowl said:

That was my suggestion..meet up for a match. I have a place in Derbyshire so up most weekends during the season (work permitting) and get to the southern away games generally speaking. Gutted that Fulham got promoted.

Best thing is PM me when you plan to attend a game and we can see who else is around. Saves people flouncing who are not connected.

I moved out from Sheffield to Bamford 14 yrs ago...about the furthest I have been away from Sheffield, except while on holiday.

it was interesting reading all the comments as if it was just yesterday.

I remember we both scored in the 3rd year form final, and were met with some disapproval afterwards by the "unwashed" from lower school.....good days!!!!

Another story is I once visited a coach (wifes friends boyfriend at the time) who was coaching at Colchester. Joined in with a training session with their reserves. Anyway he was a big Keegan fan and gave me his book to read...nearly choked on my tea when I read the first chapter...Keegan doesn't like you does he????

Although a S/T holder in North I never seem to see (or at least recognise) anyone from school. Maybe they see me and do one!!!!

22 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Andrew Sissons? Good footballer, tricky, fast, think he played for the school team as a winger?

And yes, I think the hockey player was Meg. Name rings a bell. Hung around with mad as a wasp Deborah Beaumont and Sarah McCall? You'd probably have her as the anchor in a tug of war. You know who I mean Mr T.

I remember you at school as the tall, funny, daft butter. I was the quiet as a mouse, unassuming, studious type, with just a hint of a sense of humour, possessing intelligence, charm, good looks, wit and possessing stacks of humility. Not changed much really.

Andy Sirus I think his name was.

Played on the left most games.

I think Meg is the one who likes girls. I saw Tina a few years back and she told me about her. Tina ended up teaching somewhere in London.

Colin Wightman was just a nutter. You once dug him out of a hole when Miss Nipples challenged him on what he called her. You were able to satisfy her that he only said Miss Nickers....Not sure if she would get away with her tight jeans (first experience of camel toe!!!) and tight tops these days. I think Mr Sanderson had a crush on her....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Reallondonowl said:

Good call. Bristol, Birmingham and Reading are the obvious choices for proximity, but a trip to the smoke or Hillsborough might suit more people. Pity Brighton went up. That would have been a good craic.

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

David and I were in the same form for 7 years, from Sept '70 all the way to finishing our A'Levels. He also went by the moniker "Ents". Another couple of guys you might know (although I think from the year above you) would be Simon Bingley and John Michie (Bill Michie the MP's lad). I knew them both through Mark Bingley who was in my year and a good friend.

Simon Bingley rings a bell. I know the name, but can't put a face to it.

56 minutes ago, Lombado said:

I think Meg is the one who likes girls. I saw Tina a few years back and she told me about her. Tina ended up teaching somewhere in London.

Colin Wightman was just a nutter. You once dug him out of a hole when Miss Nipples challenged him on what he called her. You were able to satisfy her that he only said Miss Nickers....Not sure if she would get away with her tight jeans (first experience of camel toe!!!) and tight tops these days. I think Mr Sanderson had a crush on her....

Yes, I remember Andy Sirus now. Blonde hair - at least back then. Nothing like Sorsby's mane, but then I expect he looks like Riff Raff now. Last time I saw Duane, he'd lost the Jackson 5 afro and was actually quite reserved. Kenny (Fly) James is still an Owls fan and looks exactly the same, except he no longer has the afro comb stuck out of his head.

Did anyone else fancy the young German teacher? I think she had a thing for me looking back, but all we exchanged were shy smiles. Schmutzige Schlampe!

:goalie:

On 21/07/2018 at 09:49, theowlsman said:

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one Martin at Sharrow Lane and Abbeydale Grange during that era. 

Martin Tha.........ry. Is this you Martin?

Hello mate by the way!

No pal.Im not the Martin you're thinking of I'm Martin Howson.I must have been in the year below you. l can't think of your identity but do find your posts entertaining, you've got the same Sheffield sense of humour as me.

1 hour ago, MARTY BOY said:

No pal.Im not the Martin you're thinking of I'm Martin Howson.I must have been in the year below you. l can't think of your identity but do find your posts entertaining, you've got the same Sheffield sense of humour as me.

Were you in the same year as Danny Holmes? Mark's younger brother?

5 hours ago, Lombado said:

I was always getting people out of trouble Mark, especially the ex Sharrow Laners. Generally speaking they were a bunch of numpties but as they were from my junior school where I had been a prefect, I felt I had a sense of duty to look after the daft buggers.

I went all introvert at Abbeydale, and later stopped turning up for my A level lessons because things weren’t great at home, my parents were getting divorced and were always arguing. Was like that for 2-3 years. I kind of had to grow up quick as the eldest brother, to help look after my sisters and brother as things were so crap at home.

.........Just in case any of you wondered why I went all recluse. Not the sort of thing you can talk about at school. I was as miserable as feck for quite a while. Enjoyed following Wednesday home and away with you fellas though. They were good times.

Never really had a childhood due to having to grow up quick and take on responsibility. It’s why I’m such a nob now, making up for lost time. 

Edited by theowlsman

3 hours ago, MARTY BOY said:

I think I know you mate, was your Mum called Avis or something similar? And you have a little brother, Chris is it? 

Our Mums were pals if you’re the fella I think. I went in your house once with my Mum, somewhere near Sharrow Lane school? 

Think our Mums were old school buddies.

Edited by theowlsman

4 hours ago, Owl Stork said:

Yes, I remember Andy Sirus now. Blonde hair - at least back then. Nothing like Sorsby's mane, but then I expect he looks like Riff Raff now. Last time I saw Duane, he'd lost the Jackson 5 afro and was actually quite reserved. Kenny (Fly) James is still an Owls fan and looks exactly the same, except he no longer has the afro comb stuck out of his head.

Did anyone else fancy the young German teacher? I think she had a thing for me looking back, but all we exchanged were shy smiles. Schmutzige Schlampe!

:goalie:

That’s it Andrew Sirous. Looks no bloody different, had a long, “Shaggy off Scooby Doo” haircut. Still looks quite youngish

48 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

I was always getting people out of trouble Mark, especially the ex Sharrow Laners. Generally speaking they were a bunch of numpties but as they were from my junior school where I had been a prefect, I felt I had a sense of duty to look after the daft buggers.

I went all introvert at Abbeydale, and later stopped turning up for my A level lessons because things weren’t great at home, my parents were getting divorced and were always arguing. Was like that for 2-3 years. I kind of had to grow up quick as the eldest brother, to help look after my sisters and brother as things were so crap at home.

.........Just in case any of you wondered why I went all recluse. Not the sort of thing you can talk about at school. I was as miserable as feck for quite a while. Enjoyed following Wednesday home and away with you fellas though. They were good times.

Never really had a childhood due to having to grow up quick and take on responsibility. It’s why I’m such a nob now, making up for lost time. 

poo man. Looking back, our parents were f...ing useless at shielding us from emotional stress. Still happens today though. They always say "it never does them any harm". Yeah, like fu@k it doesn't. That's how adolescent teenagers end up self-harming, spiking up and spiralling into depression. Anyway, rant over, glad you got through it and sorry if ever I was an ******* to you. As I remember you always had a smile on your face, but I guess looks can deceive.

More surprising is that Wednesday brought you any moments of joy back then. Having said that, when you push Arsenal to multiple replays in the FA cup (1979), it's not something you ever forget. I still remember the whole bus singing away to a Blondie song on the way back from Leicester. Epic!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owl Stork said:

poo man. Looking back, our parents were f...ing useless at shielding us from emotional stress. Still happens today though. They always say "it never does them any harm". Yeah, like fu@k it doesn't. That's how adolescent teenagers end up self-harming, spiking up and spiralling into depression. Anyway, rant over, glad you got through it and sorry if ever I was an ******* to you. As I remember you always had a smile on your face, but I guess looks can deceive.

More surprising is that Wednesday brought you any moments of joy back then. Having said that, when you push Arsenal to multiple replays in the FA cup (1979), it's not something you ever forget. I still remember the whole bus singing away to a Blondie song on the way back from Leicester. Epic!

The Filbert street games were epic. It as one of the first times we could be proud. Got pretty full in those pens behind the goal.

But the following season got better with the massacre...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theowlsman said:

sorry you have to remember all this....understand as mine did the same during my O-levels..not sure what I was expected to do with all the emotional stress going on. I feel your pain.....

I used to revise on the playing fields in between playing tennis to get some light relief, wonder why I didnt get straight A's.....

I think I only did 6th form to play footy and work out what I wanted to do. Ended up OK I guess.

I remeber Carl joining the police cadets and being jealous of how he had it all worked out....

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lombado said:

sorry you have to remember all this....understand as mine did the same during my O-levels..not sure what I was expected to do with all the emotional stress going on. I feel your pain.....

I used to revise on the playing fields in between playing tennis to get some light relief, wonder why I didnt get straight A's.....

I think I only did 6th form to play footy and work out what I wanted to do. Ended up OK I guess.

I remeber Carl joining the police cadets and being jealous of how he had it all worked out....

I got stopped by a squad car on Abbeydale Rd a few years back. The window wound down and a gruff voice said "where are you going?"

I confusedly stumbled an answer that I was heading to the Moor.

"That's OK Steve" said a grinning face. It was Sgt. Bullivant!

Also saw him on Traffic Cops in one of the pursuit cars. That's all he ever wanted to do in life. I didn't have an effing clue!

• Like 1