First post.

16 minutes ago, Owl Stork said:

Hi fellow owlstalkers,

I've been following the ups and downs of our beloved club on here for some time and love the humour and general banter, so thought I might join in after finally getting the nod following two other attempts. You'd think I was on the watch list. :ph34r:

I used to watch the boys regularly as a teenager from when we were in the misery of the third division to salvation through the Charlton years and then bizarrely under the stewardship of my old PE teacher, Howard Wilkinson (Abbeydale Grange school...now defunct)

I lost contact with the club when I moved to France in the 90's so missed out on the glory years, but was amazed to make the odd visit to Hillsborough and see the likes of Carbone, di Canio and Hirst do things that I never thought I'd ever see done in the famous blue and white shirts. My substitute team in France were Olympique de Marseille, so I'd already seen Waddle in blue and white stripes, albeit horizontal, so I was thrilled to see him swap them for vertical ones later on. Happy days!

Since coming back to the UK (I now live in Devon, kids down here) so don't get to see us play much anymore, but loved the revival under Megson and first year under Carvalhal. By his third season I think we were all starting to doubt his suitability early on and the change needed to come. I'm generally an optimist, which is hard with Wednesday, but I did think someone like Jos was needed to come in and regroup the players. We now know what was happening behind the scenes so to get confidence back into the fringe players after all the injuries was the key to survival and despite understandable poor results at the start of his tenure, I think Jos has done an incredible job. He has undoubted determination, tells it how it is and doesn't offer excuses. I'm sure he'll consolidate over the next season and take us forward. So for all those young lads and lasses who want premiership football, just remember that so does every other team in the division and we are all where we are by merit. In my experience, the inspiration of the manager makes the difference. Clearly, Jos knows how to build a player up and instill confidence which in turn breeds success, so while we might not set the league on fire next season, I expect that we will improve on last and maybe, if it all clicks and Jos unlocks the potential of our returning players, we might just have a belter. Stay positive guys. We have some of the best players and definitely supporters in the country. Sing when we're winning, sing defiantly when we are losing. We are Wednesday. We will rise again!

I too am looking forward to seeing my beloved team again. Returning home at the end of August from an 8 year stint in the Czech Republic. Will miss the weather here and cheap beer but so many things to look forward too, like going to matches with my daughter who has talked about nothing else since she knew of our move.

Oh and welcome to Owlstalk, you may live to regret it lol

• Haha 1

Welcome Owl Stork!

Given your background I'm willing to bet we know each other very well! Went to Abbeydale Grange myself from 1970 -77 so well remember when HW was there together with Dicky Bate. Had a great football team then only Mexborough better in the whole area.

Be warned though, this site is as addictive as crack cocaine!

• Like 1

Not a bad bet. I was there from 75. Master Bates (Chortle!) was semi pro (Mossley?) and always keen to let us know about it, so it was a surprise that Wilko turned out to be the real deal. I just remember him being quick to dish out the slipper. My mate dated his daughter and was ignored completely when he told Wilko he didn't like football. :tango:

2 hours ago, Owl Stork said:

Hi fellow owlstalkers,

I've been following the ups and downs of our beloved club on here for some time and love the humour and general banter, so thought I might join in after finally getting the nod following two other attempts. You'd think I was on the watch list. :ph34r:

I used to watch the boys regularly as a teenager from when we were in the misery of the third division to salvation through the Charlton years and then bizarrely under the stewardship of my old PE teacher, Howard Wilkinson (Abbeydale Grange school...now defunct)

I lost contact with the club when I moved to France in the 90's so missed out on the glory years, but was amazed to make the odd visit to Hillsborough and see the likes of Carbone, di Canio and Hirst do things that I never thought I'd ever see done in the famous blue and white shirts. My substitute team in France were Olympique de Marseille, so I'd already seen Waddle in blue and white stripes, albeit horizontal, so I was thrilled to see him swap them for vertical ones later on. Happy days!

Since coming back to the UK (I now live in Devon, kids down here) so don't get to see us play much anymore, but loved the revival under Megson and first year under Carvalhal. By his third season I think we were all starting to doubt his suitability early on and the change needed to come. I'm generally an optimist, which is hard with Wednesday, but I did think someone like Jos was needed to come in and regroup the players. We now know what was happening behind the scenes so to get confidence back into the fringe players after all the injuries was the key to survival and despite understandable poor results at the start of his tenure, I think Jos has done an incredible job. He has undoubted determination, tells it how it is and doesn't offer excuses. I'm sure he'll consolidate over the next season and take us forward. So for all those young lads and lasses who want premiership football, just remember that so does every other team in the division and we are all where we are by merit. In my experience, the inspiration of the manager makes the difference. Clearly, Jos knows how to build a player up and instill confidence which in turn breeds success, so while we might not set the league on fire next season, I expect that we will improve on last and maybe, if it all clicks and Jos unlocks the potential of our returning players, we might just have a belter. Stay positive guys. We have some of the best players and definitely supporters in the country. Sing when we're winning, sing defiantly when we are losing. We are Wednesday. We will rise again!

Welcome to the utter insanity that is Owlstalk.Enjoy the Ride. lol

• Thanks 1