Rhodes - here's something we've not seen for a while..

1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Joao and Rhodes need a run together now and the confidence will come.

Based on pedigree and production, they ought to be the best option we have available at the moment, with Nuhiu getting plenty of time mostly off the bench. Their last two starts together have shown some promise but there's still a long way to go before we can get too excited by it. But things are looking up slightly at last.

His game has always been about timing his runs into the box.... from decent wing crosses where he sees the ball coming across in order to connect... Not back to goal or running his nads off chasing people down. 

Decent crosses and quick wingers is what you need to get the best out of JR. 

This is absolutely torturing a few people. The world has been turned on it's head.

Since Boxing Day, who has been involved in more of our goals than the rest of the entire squad combined; scoring 4 and assisting 2? Until last night, only 1 goal in the previous 9 games had not involved him.

Jordan Rhodes. Atdhe Nuhiu.

Who has not scored throughout that time and even been stuck unused on the bench for a couple of those games? In the absence of goals his supporters have been reduced to desperately praising his work rate, hold up play and making space for his colleagues as if strikers had never thought of such things before? 

Atdhe Nuhiu. Jordan Rhodes.

The irony and the double standards are hilarious.

Just for the hard of thinking though (as misrepresentation is a speciality in the effort to play smart arse to the gallery) - my criticism is not for either player. Scoring goals is a team effort, just like keeping them out at the other end, and obsessing about individual numbers is superficial in the extreme. Comparing these two directly is pretty pointless anyway as they are not expected to offer the same abilities.

Over an extended period of time, it's clear Rhodes has the much better pedigree of scoring and the natural order will presumably no doubt be restored in due course. In the long run, whilst the likes of Hooper and Forestieri are out, he and Joao should be the best starting combination. But he has to earn his place, just like anyone else. And it's difficult to deny that recently, Nuhiu has been more productive. 

I want us to win. The details of who scores the goals really isn't that big an issue. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

This is absolutely torturing a few people. The world has been turned on it's head.

Since Boxing Day, who has been involved in more of our goals than the rest of the entire squad combined; scoring 4 and assisting 2? Until last night, only 1 goal in the previous 9 games had not involved him.

Jordan Rhodes. Atdhe Nuhiu.

Who has not scored throughout that time and even been stuck unused on the bench for a couple of those games? In the absence of goals his supporters have been reduced to desperately praising his work rate, hold up play and making space for his colleagues as if strikers had never thought of such things before? 

Atdhe Nuhiu. Jordan Rhodes.

The irony and the double standards are hilarious.

Just for the hard of thinking though (as misrepresentation is a speciality in the effort to play smart arse to the gallery) - my criticism is not for either player. Scoring goals is a team effort, just like keeping them out at the other end, and obsessing about individual numbers is superficial in the extreme. Comparing these two directly is pretty pointless anyway as they are not expected to offer the same abilities.

Over an extended period of time, it's clear Rhodes has the much better pedigree of scoring and the natural order will presumably no doubt be restored in due course. In the long run, whilst the likes of Hooper and Forestieri are out, he and Joao should be the best starting combination. But he has to earn his place, just like anyone else. And it's difficult to deny that recently, Nuhiu has been more productive. 

I want us to win. The details of who scores the goals really isn't that big an issue. 

There in lies the problem. We don't win when Nuhiu starts.

As much as you want to push your pro Nuhiu anti Rhodes agenda. The stats don't lie , even when the likes of you try to fudge them for your agenda.

5 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

There in lies the problem. We don't win when Nuhiu starts.

As much as you want to push your pro Nuhiu anti Rhodes agenda. The stats don't lie , even when the likes of you try to fudge them for your agenda.

I was curious about your relentless banging on about that statistical anomaly regarding Nuhiu starting league games. So I've looked into it. You are right that our record in the last 11 such games is 3 draws and 8 defeats. But why did you not go further back? And then I discovered why. Here's our record in the games immediately before that run in which he started...

P14 W9 D4 L1 F27 A12

What was that about an agenda (it always has to be an 'agenda' doesn't it)?

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

I was curious about your relentless banging on about that statistical anomaly regarding Nuhiu starting league games. So I've looked into it. You are right that our record in the last 11 such games is 3 draws and 8 defeats. But why did you not go further back? And then I discovered why. Here's our record in the games immediately before that run in which he started...

P14 W9 D4 L1 F27 A12

What was that about an agenda (it always has to be an 'agenda' doesn't it)?

I went to ten games thought it was enough, Increased naturally to 11 after Birmingham.

Will check your stats when I can be bothered as you are well known for fudging them to suit your agenda.

8 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

I went to ten games thought it was enough, Increased naturally to 11 after Birmingham.

Will check your stats when I can be bothered as you are well known for fudging them to suit your agenda.

You can check those stats once you've put your toys back in the pram. 

As for Rhodes: 

Good performance last night. 

Decent pressing and some good hold up play. I was impressed. 

Keep it up, Jordan! 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

You can check those stats once you've put your toys back in the pram. 

As for Rhodes: 

Good performance last night. 

Decent pressing and some good hold up play. I was impressed. 

Keep it up, Jordan! 

Was the same against Cardiff. Probably made better use of the ball against them but worked harder last night.

Most don't want to see it.Probably the same ones who used to slag off Hooper.

On 2/13/2018 at 22:46, matthefish2002 said:

Going against the grain here but didnt really notice him until about 60mins when he ran around about and put pressure on defenders for about 5 mins.

Still needs to show more for me.

Exactly the same as me pal. Thought he was a passenger until he sprinted 3 times in 5 minutes. £8 million for that contribution....

I stood and clapped him because I want to boost his confidence. I also gave him a standing ovation when he got subbed. I felt slightly embarrassed doing so. 

Now I hate Chris Wilder with an absolute passion but he had a point when he says he wont lavish players with praise for running around. And I feel the same, it SHOULD be a given. So why was I so happy when i saw him put some pressure on for 5 minutes? Who knows. Probably because he's done naff all for over 12 months now and i saw it as him contributing to the game for once. 

I'm sorry but for me he should be running his socks off and running himself into the ground. When you're out fo form you make sure you do the easy bits well adn work yourself into a bit of form. He doesn't, its as simple as that. 

On 2/13/2018 at 22:46, matthefish2002 said:

Going against the grain here but didnt really notice him until about 60mins when he ran around about and put pressure on defenders for about 5 mins.

Still needs to show more for me.

That's sort of what I saw. Typical Jordan Rhodes performance in a Wednesday shirt until about an hour in then he started to put himself about a bit. Seemed to gain in confidence when the crowd appreciated his efforts, so chased even more lost causes. Still looks like a fish out of water to me, like he's trying to alter his natural game to fit in with those around him but is getting caught between the two. Hooper had the same problem when he arrived here but sussed us out pretty sharpish as his natural game wasn't working so altered it by having the ability to drop and play a bit deeper instead of being on the shoulder and constantly make those early forward runs. 

If, and it's a big if, Joao can maintain or get consistently near the standard of Tuesday night then whoever plays alongside him should have a birthday as Joao is going to be the main cause for concern.