Leicester City could be looking to snap up George Hirst

10 minutes ago, owlmanc said:

It also could go the way of vardy (and with better scouting Cahill) both Owls desperate to play for the club. 

If Hirst were desperate to play for the club, wouldn't he have signed the contract offered to him by the club?

Unless he's been made a derisory offer lower than other development squad players, I can't see why he'd turn down a contract at a club he was desperate to play for.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If Hirst were desperate to play for the club, wouldn't he have signed the contract offered to him by the club?

Unless he's been made a derisory offer lower than other development squad players, I can't see why he'd turn down a contract at a club he was desperate to play for.

Oh go on then.

One  last time before I retire it fully.....

59f6344a0902a_2017-10-2620_11_33.jpg.e9c66278b0ebd37834eb14b270db02a7.jpg

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

They may well be behind the current impasse, but Hirst can't be all that 'desperate' if he's letting them stand in the way of him playing for his club.

Maybe, maybe not.

When I was 18 I wanted a motorbike.

My mother told me if I got one I would be booted from the family home and struck from the Will.

So I didn't get a motorbike.

Does anyone actually know why he isn't playing in the U23? We're outsiders looking in so it's difficult to get a clear picture. It seems like another example of modern day football. Modern day football slowly slipping out of touch. It'll all end with Money, Money and Ego. 

I've never seen him play. 

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

And I think everyone else's point is that if we pay some promising 19 year old with about 45 minutes of first-team football say £15k a week, then it upsets the entire wage structure of the club. Soon all the best youngsters at the club will be pushing for 5 figure weekly salaries, and the more senior players that will be on wages around that (eg Palmer, Fox etc) will be demanding an increase in wages that reflect their first-team status compared to the overpaid kid.

So your point is that we should keep Hirst. Other people's point is that we shouldn't keep Hirst if the wage demands are as high as some are hypothesising they might be because they understand it will cause a lot of feathers to be ruffled in more important players for the here and now, as well as dictate what future wages players may demand. 

We all want the kid to stay but we can't do it to the detriment of the club, and some people seem to refuse to accept that maybe, just maybe what he's currently demanding would be to the detriment to the club. And unfortunately no, the "We pay Matias X" and "We paid Urby Y" doesn't fly. 100+ senior football appearances for the pair of them is incomparable to the 45 minutes Hirst has. He has to get the reputation in senior football to earn that contract. IF (and it is an 'if', as it's all conjecture at the moment) the issue from all this is him asking for excessive wages, then he's trying to get the billy big bucks based on what his reputation might be rather than what it is. Which is pretty much Mark Corrigan's tactic here

Where in my post did I say specifically we should keep him? 

Unless you actually know all the facts/negotiations etc you are no more informed than anyone else to be able to state what should or shouldn’t happen with regards to Hirst.

The negotiations haven’t been concluded yet and we don’t know either parties break points.  

9 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't know the ins and outs about hirst but if he sees big weekly wages to players who are not the future and he knows other clubs will offer him what he wants then course he would think twice. I love my job but if someone came in and offered to quadruple my wages then I would leave

2 minutes ago, owlmanc said:

I don't know the ins and outs about hirst but if he sees big weekly wages to players who are not the future and he knows other clubs will offer him what he wants then course he would think twice. I love my job but if someone came in and offered to quadruple my wages then I would leave

If his main aim is to earn more money, that's fine. As you say, a lot of people would do similar in their line of work.

It's the suggestion from the poster I was responding to that he's 'desperate' to play for the club that I find odd; if he were truly desperate to play for us, surely the best way to make that happen would be to sign a contract, break into the first team squad and then take it from there?

3 minutes ago, Beanie Rook said:

I'm occasionally given advice. If it's balls, I have the habit of ignoring it.  I also know full well that if I was a young footballer playing for my boyhood club, I'd knuckle down and crack on with it. I can't believe that every footballer accepts everything they're advised to do without a second thought. Young George needs to grow some balls and fast.

I don't think it's just young footballers either though.

I look at the Fernando pickle last year... .I'm not sure it's all his idea to not get on the bus. 

Did you see the Wilder transfer mini documentary? 

Agent send player to Sheffield station. 

Then tells him to wait at station while he phones Wilder back to ask for more money, thinking he'll give in when he hears the player is so close.

(Fair play to Wilder for telling them to coco BYW). 

Then agent phones player and tells him to get on the next train home.

A complete fuckabout,  and the player just did as he was told. 

That documentary about Rogers the other year. 

Players ringing clubs asking for them to send someone out to their house to change a light bulb.

It can be a cosseted existence. ......and if someone tells you that if you don't want to be running a pub in 20 years or being a hod carrier...but living on what you have banked in the lap of luxury. ......Most of them will just do as they're told.

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Possibly. 

But I doubt that Stocksbridge were offfering Vardy huge sums of money when we released him.  It's still taken him ten years to convince any decent sized club to take a chance on him in Championship Leicester.

Cahill was pretty late in the game wasn't he? Certainly don't remember us having him on the books.

There is FOUR players in the England squad who were brought up Owls. 

Jamie Vardy

Harry McGuire

Gary Cahill

John Stones

How many SWFC appearances between then?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

There is FOUR players in the England squad who were brought up Owls. 

Jamie Vardy

Harry McGuire

Gary Cahill

John Stones

How many SWFC appearances between then?

Maybe so.

But in relation to this thread , to my knowledge only one of those was ever on the books..?

8 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

You don't get to dictate what is discussed in threads.

However  you view your status on OT now.

Erm, I was replying to your comment......the one you put on and quoted me in. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Erm, I was replying to your comment...

I know, you arrogantly said

'but in relation to this thread'

As befits your recent over inflated opinion of yourself, on OT.

GH was brought up a Owl, looks like leaving after barely featuring in the 1st team. The connection isn't cryptic.

4 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I know, you arrogantly said

'but in relation to this thread'

As befits your recent over inflated opinion of yourself, on OT.

GH was brought up a Owl, looks like leaving after barely featuring in the 1st team. The connection isn't cryptic.

Mentioning 3 England players who've never been on our books, who we've never been in the position to offer extended contracts to because they were signed to other clubs was pretty cryptic though.  I don't get the point you were trying to make in relation to them. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Mentioning 3 England players who've never been on our books, who we've never been in the position to offer extended contracts to because they were signed to other clubs was pretty cryptic though.  I don't get the point you were trying to make in relation to them. 

You don't get the point;

OH dear OT might disintegrate.

Another poster mentioned Cahill, another example of a player, like Hirst, Vardy; Cahill & Stones, brought up as Owls fans but look like pretty much passing our 1st team by.

See the connection yet?