WEST STAND tickets on sale for Sheffield derby match

8 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Considering that Leeds is a bigger city than Sheffield and they only have one football club, I'd say their attendances are a bit poor.

Imagine if Sheffield had a single club 

Wednesdays average attendance 27k

Uniteds 20k

Single club in Sheffield approx 47k

Doesn't work like that though does it. To say that a single club would average 47k, by budding up with your fiercest rival, is not an accurate reflection of potential support. 

If Everton didn't exist would Liverpool average 100k, If Manchester City didn't exist would Man U average 130k?

No matter how big a city Leeds is, the heartland for us is S/SE Leeds, much as N/ NE Sheffield is for you. A high percentage of sports fans in North/NW Leeds follow Rugby league, 16k+ attend regularly there.

In fact, I believe it to be the case that, because Leeds United doesn't have a big city rival as such, it actually hinders our support. 

3 minutes ago, just visiting said:

Doesn't work like that though does it. To say that a single club would average 47k, by budding up with your fiercest rival, is not an accurate reflection of potential support. 

If Everton didn't exist would Liverpool average 100k, If Manchester City didn't exist would Man U average 130k?

No matter how big a city Leeds is, the heartland for us is S/SE Leeds, much as N/ NE Sheffield is for you. A high percentage of sports fans in North/NW Leeds follow Rugby league, 16k+ attend regularly there.

In fact, I believe it to be the case that, because Leeds United doesn't have a big city rival as such, it actually hinders our support. 

And I thought Shane warne was the king of spin.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, just visiting said:

Do RL league fans in Leeds and the surrounding areas also follow football?

48 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Mate, not being funny or anything but you've got sucked into the propaganda regarding ticket prices.

The ticket price issue is a separate debate and has its own merits but it has nothing to do with the amount of tickets sold for Sunday so far.

SAG have determined the capacity for Sunday not the ticket prices.

There are NO tickets left in the main body of the South.

There is 1 (for some reason) left in the North.

There are 8 tickets left scattered around the grandstand.

There are about 200 left in the Lepps lower.

And a few hundred left on the Kop.

The ones that are left (if they will still be left at close of play today) are seats that are either seats stuck behind the pillars on the Kop or stuck under the Pigs where maybe people will possibly not fancy it.

If it was a price issue why have all the 'main' decent seats ALL been sold?

This also doesn't touch on the contradictory messages coming out of Hillsborough regarding the 'extra' ticket allocation and the relatively short notice that these were made available. 

I reckon if these had all been made available at the outset, people could have made their minds up, planned accordingly (not at the last minute) and they would have all been sold by now. 

Remember though, the 33k limit has been set by SAG , it is not some sort of Boycott due to ticket prices.

It doesnt matter if the capacity is 33k or 43k, clearly there are only 32.5k prepared to go to the match, the first derby in six years.

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

Everyone repeat after me.

Wednesday are sh*t.

Wednesday's support is sh*t.

Wednesday having sold 99.5% of their allocation for tmrw is sh*t. 

Leeds support so far makes Wednesday's look sh*t.

The "8 teams in the championship with "higher averages" than us SO FAR is sh*t.

Happy now?

Have i missed anything?

After all your slagging of our support, (especially those that maybe didn't fancy sitting under the Pigs), I assume you're going tmrw.

Yes you missed ticket prices are poo .

the shirts are poo

geoffrey is full of poo

Just now, Sham75 said:

Do you go to Sheffield Eagles?

No but I knew a few who did both RL with the eagles and Wednesday back in the late eighties/90s. West Yorks is different tho and a RL hotbed so i am  interested to know if RL fans around there also go the Leeds United games.

14 minutes ago, Animis said:

No but I knew a few who did both RL with the eagles and Wednesday back in the late eighties/90s. West Yorks is different tho and a RL hotbed so i am  interested to know if RL fans around there also go the Leeds United games.

To be honest the United fans I know mostly have a very passive interest in the Rhinos, and likewise the Rhinos have a passive interest in United.  I'm sure there are some that do both, but I rarely come across them.  I genuinely dont believe many do both (its too expensive to) not regularly anyway.  

I spoke on this subject to a Wednesday fan a while ago and he hit the nail on the head for me really when he said the city of Sheffield is a bigger football city than that of Leeds, but that Leeds United is bigger than either of the Sheffield clubs. I'm happy to concede that, clearly its difficult to argue otherwise.

Edited by Sham75

2 minutes ago, Sham75 said:

To be honest the United fans I know mostly have a very passive interest in the Rhinos, and likewise the Rhinos have a passive interest in United.  I'm sure there are some that do both, but I rarely come across them.  I genuinely dont believe many do both (its too expensive to) not regularly anyway.  

I spoke on this subject to a Wednesday fan a while ago and he hit the nail on the head for me really when he said the city of Sheffield is a bigger football city than that of Leeds, but that Leeds United is bigger than either of the Sheffield clubs. I'm happy to concede that, clearly its difficult to argue otherwise.

:tango:

26 minutes ago, just visiting said:

Oh eye, they flock to Headingley from Moortown, Chapel Allerton, Hyde Park, Chapeltown etc as opposed to South Leeds.

29 minutes ago, just visiting said:

One club hinders support, comedy gold.

What as the rugby teams support got to do with it?

Having 2 football clubs hinders support, as they are in direct competetion they obviously compete for and have to share the support, you support 1 or the other, whereas in Leeds all football fans support Leeds United.

If Sheffield had only 1 club the home support would currently be around 50k and the away support, would definetly sell out every game with thousands more missing out.

You probably haven't noticed but we also also have a rugby league team here in Sheffield  (plus a rugby union team, Speedway team, Ice hockey team, basketball team etc) but they don't get very good suport as unlike Leeds, Sheffield is predominantly a football city.

Just now, Costello 77 said:

It's just nice to have a Derby to go to.......

I agree, we have Bradford or Hudds which is like you having Barnsley.  Most of the time I havent a clue who either of them are playing on matchday.

Sort of enforces the arguement that having a two city club increases interest and support not diminishes it.

Just now, Sham75 said:

I agree, we have Bradford or Hudds which is like you having Barnsley.  Most of the time I havent a clue who either of them are playing on matchday.

Sort of enforces the arguement that having a two city club increases interest and support not diminishes it.

Indeed. It would be tragic and pathetic if we had to invent ( an unwanted ) rivalry with.......say man u.

• Haha 4