Your 2 Strikers

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Assuming a fair run with injuries, here you go...

Rhodes 20

Hooper 15

Fletch 10

Winnall 5

I hope Rhodes will start pretty much every game, and that Hooper and Fletch share the majority of starts alongside him. I think Winnall won't see much action if the others stay mainly fit.

I know this table below ignores injuries/appearances from last season (and Rhodes arriving in Jan),

but still it does show your lack of faith in Winnall is staggering 

Your opinion of an SWFC attacking player does seem directly related to their, perceived threat to Hoopers place in the team (IYO) 

Your literally saying that

:Hoopers total will move from 6 - 15

:Winnal total will move from 14 - 5

zxzCapture.JPG

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I disagree. 

I think our tempo is set is set across the back four and by our set-up.

This season we look 99% likely to play with two proper wingers. I don't see Bannan or Abdi starting games wide after buying Boyd and saying FF is more of a winger now.

This will provide width when the full-backs and CBs have the ball. Last season they had so few options that oppos stifled us completely in our own half.

There is also attitude. Towards the end of the season we started putting in some longer free-kicks and long throws. For most of the season we passed these backwards and endlessly and tediously recycled.

I would also argue 100% against your suggestion that FF is beneficial to tempo when played as striker. He plays way to far from his partner and we have no success getting the ball to stick up top.

Every team passes across the back four to slow the game down and try and draw the opposition out. Not just us. You don't set the tempo across the back four.

It is normally when it is passed into midfield that you lift it. I like Jones because he has a very good touch and passes it very quickly. The other one is Abdi

However to come back to strikers. 

We had some horrible first halfs and even  games in Carlos's first season that get forgotten. 

They get forgotten because we were much better at lifting the tempo by closing sides down high up the pitch. This was led by FF and followed by Bannan and Lee.

We didn't do it last season.

It is totally dependent on having a striker who can put defenders under pressure and mobile midfielders. I expect we will do it again this season with Reach, Boyd and Lee

What I said is FF and Joao are the best strikers we have to do this.

I also said they won't get picked so we will see how it goes.

6 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I know this table below ignores injuries/appearances from last season (and Rhodes arriving in Jan),

Your opinion of an SWFC attacking player does seem directly related to their, perceived threat to Hoopers place in the team (IYO) 

zxzCapture.JPG

Love the table. I have never appeared in a table before. I'm touched.

Always happy to compare ideas on us banging goals in, so here's my logic...

I have our strikers scoring 50 v Last season 30 (Fletch 11, FF 6, Hoops 6, Winnall 3, Rhodes 3). I see far more striker goals because we look likely to play two proper wingers. Also because when we play two strikers (not FF) they score far more freely than when FF is striker.

Rhodes has had 8 seasons scoring shedloads, and one stinker. I am confident that last season will be shown to be the freak, not the other 8. I again think the two wingers and playing with a proper strike partner are wins for him and the team. I think he will take pens, so 3 or 4 may come here.

Hooper scored 6 in 1440 minutes. I hope he plays double that, and as he won't have FF as a partner he scores far more freely, so 15 from 2800 minutes seems right.

Fletch scored 11 and I expect him to play similar minutes, hence 10 goals.

Winnall, imo, is not at the same level as the other three strikers, and will have least oportunity. I still hope he gets around 5 from cameos and the odd start. 

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Love the table. I have never appeared in a table before. I'm touched.

Always happy to compare ideas on us banging goals in, so here's my logic...

I have our strikers scoring 50 v Last season 30 (Fletch 11, FF 6, Hoops 6, Winnall 3, Rhodes 3). I see far more striker goals because we look likely to play two proper wingers. Also because when we play two strikers (not FF) they score far more freely than when FF is striker.

Rhodes has had 8 seasons scoring shedloads, and one stinker. I am confident that last season will be shown to be the freak, not the other 8. I again think the two wingers and playing with a proper strike partner are wins for him and the team. I think he will take pens, so 3 or 4 may come here.

Hooper scored 6 in 1440 minutes. I hope he plays double that, and as he won't have FF as a partner he scores far more freely, so 15 from 2800 minutes seems right.

Fletch scored 11 and I expect him to play similar minutes, hence 10 goals.

Winnall, imo, is not at the same level as the other three strikers, and will have least oportunity. I still hope he gets around 5 from cameos and the odd start. 

So following your logic, if Hooper plays a similar amount of minutes to Winnall (last season), he will score 1 more than Winnall, actually scored.

Yet Winnall is not on the same level??? Shouldn't be given minutes and will score 5.

Not biased at all Holmsy

Just now, zzmdu said:

So following your logic, if Hooper plays a similar amount of minutes to Winnall (last season), he will score 1 more than Winnall, actually scored.

Yet Winnall is not on the same level??? Shouldn't be given minutes and will score 5.

Not biased at all Holmsy

I don't think it's bias.

I think we have seen enough from Hooper in a Wednesday shirt to think he will continue to score freely for us.

As yet, I havent been super impressed with Winnall. Clearly he has something because he did do well for Barnsley, but he hasn't shown it here yet. 

I also think that Winnall is starting the season as 4th pick. Therefore he starts with a big handicap, in that two of our front three need to fail before he gets a run of games. 

It's all hypothetical stuff There's no evidence that any of our strikers will be prolific In fact, any evidence is to the contrary Would hope they will make a better job of things this year, but I'm not holding my breath

We'll be lucky to get half a season out of Hooper fitness wise. On top of that there's  strong competition for a place now. He's scored 9 goals in his last 40 appearances. I'll be shocked if he scores more than 10-12.

Ignoring Rhodes' record at previous clubs, based on his record for us, there's no way he's ahead of Fletcher or Forestieri at the moment. He's not going to play a full season like he was doing for Blackburn, so I can't see him getting near 20. Maybe a dozen or so.

Fletcher will probably just play enough to get close to his tally from last season. 

Can't see Winnall or Joao playing enough to get close to double figures, and Nuhiu will be lucky to get 1 or 2. 

Forestieri will be top scorer again imo. He's proven he can score from any position. Barring another tantrum, he'll play pretty much every week (up front a lot more than people think hopefully) and I can see him topping the 15 he got in his first season. 

1 hour ago, zzmdu said:

zxzCapture.JPG

I presume that might be down to the amount of games he might get. Besides it's a prediction not owt cast in stone

Thread expired so here are the FINAL VOTES

Hooper Rhodes 32

Hooper Fletcher 7

Fletcher Rhodes 5

Hooper Joao 4

Forestieri Joao 3

Winnall Rhodes 2

Winnall Joao 1

Rhodes Forestieri 1

Hooper 43

Rhodes 40

Fletcher 12

Joao 8

Forestieri 4

Winnall 3

Absolutely clear this year that fans want two out and out strikers up top.

And Hooper-Rhodes head and shoulders above the rest.

12 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Wow only one vote for Forestieri and Rhodes. Think they will get alot of game time together up front this season, especially away from home.

They will. Thankfully managers pick teams and not fans.

No surprise most fans just want to see the 2 (what most would consider) potent "goal scorers" up top together.

Rarely does that result in an effective partnership though.

It'll be horses for courses this season. And that's absolutely the right way to go about it when you have 7 first team strikers to choose from. Well, 6 and Nuhiu. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, zzmdu said:

It's almost as if Owlstalk (or a few vocal obsessed posters), is biased towards Hooper (6LG) . Now who would have thought......

Very strange post. Why on earth would anyone be biased toward picking Hooper. Is he paying people off to claim they like him more? I think the word you were looking for is 'opinion'.

The mind boggles.