Your 2 Strikers

34 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Rhodes and Winall with Hooper in behind ...

FF on left 

Boyd on right

And I thought I was Kevin Keegan!

Sheffield Wednesday 8 - 7 QPR 

Would certainly be exciting.

6 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I think the Lee goal at Wolves showed what these two can do.

It is a goal I like seeing because it shows the strengths of each player.

First FF puts the defender under pressure and robs him and has the pace to get away. He is our best striker at doing this

Then Joao has the pace to go with him and accept the pass

Finally Lee arrived, having run 60 yes while others on both sides stood and watched, to tap in the pull back

A goal out of nothing made by the mobility of the players 

Exactly this.

In terms of actual partnership with chemistry, FF/Joao is the best we've got. Nothing else looks anything like as dangerous.

And Lee is crucial to us. Always thought that.

Update

Hooper Rhodes 26

Hooper Fletcher 6

Forestieri Joao 3

Fletcher Rhodes 2

Winnall Rhodes 2

Hooper Joao 1

Winnall Joao 1

Rhodes Forestieri 1

Hooper 33

Rhodes 31

Fletcher 8

Joao 5

Forestieri 4

Winnall 3

Rhodes + another. I'd start out with Hooper alongside him.

Can't not play Rhodes when fit, IMO. There's the argument that he has to earn the shirt, but my argument would be that's exactly what he has done with his previous record at this level with other clubs. Proven quality.

Hooper and Rhodes for me, with Winnall to come in for Rhodes as and when required/deserved and Fletcher for the more direct option. 

We are all concerned by the lack of pace in our squad, but pace doesn't always have to come from individuals. I think it's more important that we increase the tempo from the off this season and move the ball more quickly.

Gary Hooper is absolutely key to this IMO. When we signed him his record suggested he was an out an out goalscorer, but his link up play surprised me straight away; while he's been with us I think it's got better and better.

I'd like to see Hooper dropping off and linking up the play to feed Rhodes, with FF bombing down the left and cutting inside. Without electric pace in our squad, this seems like the best way to inject it into our play instead.

41 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Hooper and Rhodes for me, with Winnall to come in for Rhodes as and when required/deserved and Fletcher for the more direct option. 

We are all concerned by the lack of pace in our squad, but pace doesn't always have to come from individuals. I think it's more important that we increase the tempo from the off this season and move the ball more quickly.

Gary Hooper is absolutely key to this IMO. When we signed him his record suggested he was an out an out goalscorer, but his link up play surprised me straight away; while he's been with us I think it's got better and better.

I'd like to see Hooper dropping off and linking up the play to feed Rhodes, with FF bombing down the left and cutting inside. Without electric pace in our squad, this seems like the best way to inject it into our play instead.

Spot on about the tempo We do lack pace, but also don't move the ball fast enough When we do, we look a different side

21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Spot on about the tempo We do lack pace, but also don't move the ball fast enough When we do, we look a different side

It is interesting that people talk about lack of tempo and pace and then pick Hooper and Rhodes.

If we want to play high tempo, closing down high up the pitch then you need FF as second striker, he is the only one who can do it.

Fletcher or Joao as partner would help him.

Equally the one midfield player who adds tempo to the play is Abdi and he didn't feature much in the other thread.

Not advocating we pick these players but they are the ones who could add tempo. Can't play high tempo with slow players 

22 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

It is interesting that people talk about lack of tempo and pace and then pick Hooper and Rhodes.

If we want to play high tempo, closing down high up the pitch then you need FF as second striker, he is the only one who can do it.

Equally the one midfield player who adds tempo to the play is Abdi and he didn't feature much in the other thread.

Not advocating we pick these players but they are the ones who could add tempo. Can't play high tempo with slow players 

I disagree. 

I think our tempo is set is set across the back four and by our set-up.

This season we look 99% likely to play with two proper wingers. I don't see Bannan or Abdi starting games wide after buying Boyd and saying FF is more of a winger now.

This will provide width when the full-backs and CBs have the ball. Last season they had so few options that oppos stifled us completely in our own half.

There is also attitude. Towards the end of the season we started putting in some longer free-kicks and long throws. For most of the season we passed these backwards and endlessly and tediously recycled.

I would also argue 100% against your suggestion that FF is beneficial to tempo when played as striker. He plays way to far from his partner and we have no success getting the ball to stick up top.

21 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Lets have a go at the strike partnership. Who do you want to see as the main duo in tandem in August?

One vote Rhodes-Hooper so far. Over to you.

I agree with Rhodes, for the money spent & his previous goal scoring totals, he has to start IM and be given time.

Wouldn't go with Hooper, although he missed a third of the season through injury, 6 league goals, just wasn't enough. Not many assists either.

1st choice: Rhodes-Fletcher

2nd choice: Rhodes-Winnall

3rd choice : Rhodes-Joao

4th choice Rhodes-Hooper

8 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I agree with Rhodes, for the money spent & his previous goal scoring totals, he has to start IM and be given time.

Wouldn't go with Hooper, although he missed a third of the season through injury, 6 league goals, just wasn't enough. Not many assists either.

1st choice: Rhodes-Fletcher

2nd choice: Rhodes-Winnall

3rd choice : Rhodes-Joao

4th choice Rhodes-Hooper

You are the 50th to pick a definite pair, and only the 3rd to pick Rhodes-Fletcher. I am really surprised by that. I thought his heroics in April-May, and the fact that he scored more regularly than any other player, would have seen Rhodes-Fletcher as a popular pairing.

Clearly Rhodes and Hooper are miles clear of the field in this thread.

Edited by Holmowl

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Update

Hooper Rhodes 26

Hooper Fletcher 6

Forestieri Joao 3

Fletcher Rhodes 2

Winnall Rhodes 2

Hooper Joao 1

Winnall Joao 1

Rhodes Forestieri 1

Hooper 33

Rhodes 31

Fletcher 8

Joao 5

Forestieri 4

Winnall 3

50 votes so here is the half-century update.

Hooper Rhodes 30

Hooper Fletcher 7

Hooper Joao 3

Fletcher Rhodes 3

Forestieri Joao 3

Winnall Rhodes 2

Winnall Joao 1

Rhodes Forestieri 1

Hooper 40

Rhodes 36

Fletcher 10

Joao 7

Forestieri 4

Winnall 3

Note - if you are as saddo as me and want your "vote" in this list you need to pick a definite duo. If you say "Hooper with either x or y" or "either Hooper-Rhodes or Fletcher-Winnall" it can't make the list.

Edited by Holmowl

40 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I disagree. 

I think our tempo is set is set across the back four and by our set-up.

This season we look 99% likely to play with two proper wingers. I don't see Bannan or Abdi starting games wide after buying Boyd and saying FF is more of a winger now.

This will provide width when the full-backs and CBs have the ball. Last season they had so few options that oppos stifled us completely in our own half.

There is also attitude. Towards the end of the season we started putting in some longer free-kicks and long throws. For most of the season we passed these backwards and endlessly and tediously recycled.

I would also argue 100% against your suggestion that FF is beneficial to tempo when played as striker. He plays way to far from his partner and we have no success getting the ball to stick up top.

FF didn't in his first year playing with us.... he played most of his games up top but had people around him and runners beyond him in Bannan and Lee which produced much better results and much more attacking threat.... we also scored more goals.

The tactics used last year resulted in FF being miles from his partner and midfielders when played up top resulting in him having less of an impact.

I believe if FF and Joao played up front together all year and we played more attacking like CC's first year we would score more goals.

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Yep, it What said at the beginning of the thread Those players are always on the move stretching defenders, creating space for others Thought at one time we were on the verge of something good, and who knows, had the £20m provided by Mr C, been better spent, we may well be where wanted to be At least we would have been entertained

However, recruitment took a different direction and we are currently trying to do it a different way Will it work? I must say, I have my doubts Things are changing fast in the championship, better coaches, better players, and a new way of playing

Our recruitment seems stuck back in 2008 

Having said that, this is where we are and after that level of investment, we at least have to give it a try

I was never one of those clamouring for Jordan Rhodes, but having secured his services, at great cost, we should try and find a way of getting the best out of him 

So him leading the line, with Hooper, or Forestieri in the hole behind, has to be worth a try