Your 2 Strikers

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

FF didn't in his first year playing with us.... he played most of his games up top but had people around him and runners beyond him in Bannan and Lee which produced much better results and much more attacking threat.... we also scored more goals.

The tactics used last year resulted in FF being miles from his partner and midfielders when played up top resulting in him having less of an impact.

I believe if FF and Joao played up front together all year and we played more attacking like CC's first year we would score more goals.

Im sorry but it's not true that we scored more goals.

When FF played up front in 15/16 we scored one goal per game. 

I actually agree with you that FF's best partner up top is Joao, but I still think it a lousy pairing that would see us score nowhere near enough goals to mount a challenge. Lucas has simply stopped scoring. Unpickable as a starter. And FF scores in around one in four/five as a striker. No way that pairing gets enough.

Just because you are in the minority doesn't mean you are wrong, but in this thread 4/50 fans see him as a first-pick striker. In the Star poll last week less than 10% wanted him as a striker. 

He borders on unplayable out wide, and the team move to a different level of threat. But up top he is so easily played out of the game and pulls deeper and deeper, wider and wider,  leaving us in a lop-sided 451.

imo.

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Im sorry but it's not true that we scored more goals.

When FF played up front in 15/16 we scored one goal per game. 

I actually agree with you that FF's best partner up top is Joao, but I still think it a lousy pairing that would see us score nowhere near enough goals to mount a challenge. Lucas has simply stopped scoring. Unpickable as a starter. And FF scores in around one in four/five as a striker. No way that pairing gets enough.

Just because you are in the minority doesn't mean you are wrong, but in this thread 4/50 fans see him as a first-pick striker. In the Star poll last week less than 10% wanted him as a striker. 

He borders on unplayable out wide, and the team move to a different level of threat. But up top he is so easily played out of the game and pulls deeper and deeper, wider and wider,  leaving us in a lop-sided 451.

imo.

As you say, popularity is not a sign that something is good The infantilisation of popular culture means that the majority crave crap reality shows. It's the same on here

Our best pairing last season was Hooper & Fletcher, however this then leaves out Jordan Rhodes.
Rhodes' form so far in pre-season, albeit against lesser teams, has been good and there is no doubt he will score with service.

Then there is the problem with Fernando, Carlos seems to have suggested he will be playing out on the left this season, however Reach has also made a very strong case in pre-season so far to be a starter on the left wing, that would maybe leave Fernando on the bench to replace Reach later on in games, which would be good as he can create problems and coming up against a tired RB that has been up and down all game will hopefully give him more chances to create/score. Would Fernando be happy starting on the bench however? No

There's also a case for Winnall, I've not seen him have a bad game for us and his goals to games ratio is pretty decent.

In summary, I don't have a clue how you keep them all happy, how do you justify leaving Rhodes on the bench if the main 2 are Hooper & Fletcher? Where does Fernando fit in to this, same with Winnall.

Nice dilemma to have but glad it's not me having to make the choices and keep the strikers happy.  

2 minutes ago, Dave DJ said:

Our best pairing last season was Hooper & Fletcher, however this then leaves out Jordan Rhodes.
Rhodes' form so far in pre-season, albeit against lesser teams, has been good and there is no doubt he will score with service.

Then there is the problem with Fernando, Carlos seems to have suggested he will be playing out on the left this season, however Reach has also made a very strong case in pre-season so far to be a starter on the left wing, that would maybe leave Fernando on the bench to replace Reach later on in games, which would be good as he can create problems and coming up against a tired RB that has been up and down all game will hopefully give him more chances to create/score. Would Fernando be happy starting on the bench however? No

There's also a case for Winnall, I've not seen him have a bad game for us and his goals to games ratio is pretty decent.

In summary, I don't have a clue how you keep them all happy, how do you justify leaving Rhodes on the bench if the main 2 are Hooper & Fletcher? Where does Fernando fit in to this, same with Winnall.

Nice dilemma to have but glad it's not me having to make the choices and keep the strikers happy.  

Carlos himself said he was "struggling with 6 strikers" (he has 7 unless FF is definitely now a winger). Said even in practice games he has 4 strikers playing but two sitting out.

Even six strikers is OTT. Was it Man U that introduced the idea of having four? That worked superbly, but six! Or seven!?!?

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Carlos himself said he was "struggling with 6 strikers" (he has 7 unless FF is definitely now a winger). Said even in practice games he has 4 strikers playing but two sitting out.

Even six strikers is OTT. Was it Man U that introduced the idea of having four? That worked superbly, but six! Or seven!?!?

Yes, that's Colin's mantra "you can never have too many strikers" Much rather have three good ones, than six mediocre ones 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

You are the 50th to pick a definite pair, and only the 3rd to pick Rhodes-Fletcher. I am really surprised by that. I thought his heroics in April-May, and the fact that he scored more regularly than any other player, would have seen Rhodes-Fletcher as a popular pairing.

Clearly Rhodes and Hooper are miles clear of the field in this thread.

It seems mad, doesn't it. Rhodes is a 10 million £ striker & Fletchers goal run secured our place in the play offs. Yet 3 people have picked this combo.

Many on here put Hooper ahead of either/both. 

It's almost as if Owlstalk (or a few vocal obsessed posters), is biased towards Hooper (6LG) . Now who would have thought......

8 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

It seems mad, doesn't it. Rhodes is a 10 million £ striker & Fletchers goal run secured our place in the play offs. Yet 3 people have picked this combo.

It's almost as if Owlstalk (or a few vocal obsessed posters), is biased towards Hooper (6LG) . Now who would have thought......

Its probably more about knowing how Carlos wants us to play Most of the time, he plays with a link man, generally Hooper, and sometimes Forestieri, so it's more than likely to be one of those, plus one other

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Its probably more about knowing how Carlos wants us to play Most of the time, he plays with a link man, generally Hooper, and sometimes Forestieri, so it's more than likely to be one of those, plus one other

Yes I can see that, but there is a blatant over the top, Hooper love in on Owlstalk. I think the link man comment is over played, 18 months ago, the claim was he was all about goals. A good forward who doesn't score, has to assist. Hooper doesn't assist much. Now sure what his alleged linking achieves.

Saying that, I wouldn't mind if the start is FF Left Wing, and we go with Rhodes and Hooper. I think whichever pair starts, should be given a run of games.

I'd put Winnall and Fletcher above Hooper, they're younger and scored more goals last season.

38 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I think I am a vocal obsessed poster.

Definitely Hooper-Rhodes to start the season for me.

And if that fails, Fletch in for whoever isn't cutting the mustard.

While it's true Carlos might have a selection headache, it's hardly because he has an embarrassment of riches

None were prolific for us last season, and although all offer something, whichever pair we select, something will be lacking Instead of messing about signing Fletcher, Rhodes and Winnall last season, we should have signed one good one A decent striker added to the free scoring group from the year before, might have seen us over the line In a way, that has been the problem with our recruitment Accumulating, or duplicating players several times over, instead of actually targeting what we need

Fletcher and Rhodes.

I think they're the two best out and out strikers we have, and the two that (on reputation) our opponents will be most scared of.

Hooper is great, but for me he's going to be better in a counterattacking side, playing a little deeper. I want us to be playing 2 firmly up top, and looking to supply them from the improved Reach, Boyd pulling his weight on the right and hopefully an advanced player from the central two, be it Lee, Abdi or Bannan.

Really I don't think the strikers are a problem. We could play and 2 from Rhodes, Fletch, Hooper and Winnall and we'd be ok. The important part is giving them ammunition. They can all take the chances if given them. The supply will matter a lot more than the front two.

I am not sure if this has been said but I am lazy so can't be doing with looking through 6 pages worth.

I'll throw my 2 pence in for what it is worth and for me we have to get the best out of Rhodes who is possibly the best striker at this level. For me we need to play to his strengths and I seem to remember he excelled when he had a 'big man' partnered with him at Blackburn in Gestede.

In that case I would start with Rhodes and Fletcher.

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I think I am a vocal obsessed poster.

Definitely Hooper-Rhodes to start the season for me.

And if that fails, Fletch in for whoever isn't cutting the mustard.

Well known that you're a Hooper man.

Provided Hooper stays mostly injury free, what in your opinion would represent a good championship goals total for him?

10 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Well known that you're a Hooper man.

Provided Hooper stays mostly injury free, what in your opinion would represent a good championship goals total for him?

Assuming Carlos plays two strikers and not FF up front, I would expect Hooper to score at roughly one goal every 160 minutes. After that it's down to injuries.

I would see Hooper, Fletch, Rhodes and Winnall scoring around 50 combined. A dozen from FF wide and overall we should have a much better GoalsFor this year, much more entertaining football, and promotion.

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Assuming Carlos plays two strikers and not FF up front, I would expect Hooper to score at roughly one goal every 160 minutes. After that it's down to injuries.

I would see Hooper, Fletch, Rhodes and Winnall scoring around 50 combined. A dozen from FF wide and overall we should have a much better GoalsFor this year, much more entertaining football, and promotion.

Can you please just give me a predicted end of season total. Injuries and playing minutes can't be predicted for ANY striker in ANY league, let alone who exactly he will play with and in what formation.

Can you just be a normal person & predict how many Hooper will score for us.

I predict that an injury free Rhodes should be looking to score at least 15 league goals.

Edited by zzmdu

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I can agree with that. Providing Rhodes and Hooper both stay fit and Forestieri starts on the wing then we will be in for an incredible year. 

Reckon Rhodes will be our top scorer this year

1 minute ago, zzmdu said:

Can you please just give me a predicted end of season total. Injuries and playing minutes can't be predicted for ANY striker in ANY league.

Can you just be a normal person & predict how many Hooper will score for us.

I predict that an injury free Rhodes should be looking to score at least 15 league goals.

Assuming a fair run with injuries, here you go...

Rhodes 20

Hooper 15

Fletch 10

Winnall 5

I hope Rhodes will start pretty much every game, and that Hooper and Fletch share the majority of starts alongside him. I think Winnall won't see much action if the others stay mainly fit.