Moving Forward... next years system and players.

Hunt and Pudil are bog standard championship players. We need better if we want to build a squad that has a hope of automatic promotion. Over the past 2 seasons our fullbacks have let us down going forward - they get too much space and time on the ball to be so ineffective and they are a part of the reason we are so 1 dimensional. 2 new fullbacks please. 

4 of Reach, Wallace, Bannan, Hutchinson and Lee is not a midfield that will create enough to challenge for the top 2. In the middle, we need a midfielder who has the physicality to allow Bannan or Lee to create, but also the athleticism to support them going forward.

Out wide we need wingers who can trouble a defensive on a weekly basis, not one that might score from 30 yards now and then and do little else. We also need a winger who can offer something different when the slow, ponderous, sideways passing fails. We need a head down, speed merchant who might give the defence something else to think about. Wallace and Reach won't give a defender much to worry about and are unable to consistently change a game. We need wingers the opposition are scared of, Wallace and Reach are not it. 

First and foremost (and I've said it in another thread) we need a more positive identity. All the teams in the top six (bar us) had a positive identity and style of play. For me, this is what has ultimately let us down. Had we been more positive in that first leg at Huddersfield for instance we could well have not endured what we did last night. I'll be frank and say that some of the stuff witnessed at home this season has been turgid. 

49 minutes ago, flo said:

There's a lot more to football than saying get past your man and put a ball in the box and attack the back post. You have got to find ways of getting your players into these position from a certain move that all the players have learnt. And also formations don't really exist. Fans and pundits it use it because it looks interesting but it means absolutely nothing. 

Yes and no. Obviously some teams use formations as little more than a rough guide. 

But Sacchi's Milan side Absolutley had a formation which you could see for the full 90 Minutes,  a formation of such discipline that even my wife would have been able to spot it from the stands!

1 hour ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Genuinely baffled to see people putting likes of Abdi bannan or lee out wide ??? .

We need pace and width to stretch teams and open them up more! 

Our pace would be more effective through the middle in my opinion, someone able to run in behind None of our strikers have that, bar perhaps Joao

I think we are in the fortunate position where we don't need to sign any strikers this season. I think we already have 4 who are potentially 15-20+ goal a season strikers at this level in any given side. That does us a lot of favours in terms of the financials of recruiting as your strikers do tend to be the most difficult to get and the biggest outlay. 

What we desperately need is more energy, more creativity and guile around the strikers to provide them with significantly better service.

For my own personal views and opinions I'm going to assume that Carlos leaves next week once he sits down with the Chairman. Under a fresh pair of eyes and with the benefit of an untainted view of this squad, I think we need;

- 2 new fullbacks

- A new centre back

- 2 new wide players

- A new, properly combatative central midfielder

Thats 6 additions of first team quality. Achievable, in my mind. 

12 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

I think we are in the fortunate position where we don't need to sign any strikers this season. I think we already have 4 who are potentially 15-20+ goal a season strikers at this level in any given side. That does us a lot of favours in terms of the financials of recruiting as your strikers do tend to be the most difficult to get and the biggest outlay. 

What we desperately need is more energy, more creativity and guile around the strikers to provide them with significantly better service.

For my own personal views and opinions I'm going to assume that Carlos leaves next week once he sits down with the Chairman. Under a fresh pair of eyes and with the benefit of an untainted view of this squad, I think we need;

- 2 new fullbacks

- A new centre back

- 2 new wide players

- A new, properly combatative central midfielder

Thats 6 additions of first team quality. Achievable, in my mind. 

It's all about service and defence for me.

Up front is fine, but Nuhiu should be swapped for Hirst now. It's time for the lad to kick on in the first team. He's not going to become a gem for us if we don't let him shine.

Our problem is that whilst we seem to be strong in the centre of midfield, it's actually where we need more creativity and a lot of intelligence. A Zola-type player, a midfield general... Oh wait... we've already got Abdi who apparently Watford fans said was excellent in that role.

I also agree about Reach & Wallace. Love Wallace, but we need somebody else who can also do it as he won't be fit for every game. I hope Reach has a lot more in the can to improve on, because he needs to kick on and skill up. Too many balls go astray.

Then our defence just needs beefing up, preferably with a strong centre back who is as much of a sweeper as anything. And sure, strengthening the LB position is also ideal.

And then our goalies - we need to make sure we pin down Joe Wildsmith. Our recruitment for goalies recently has been awful since we got Westwood.

Basically, I'd like us to go out and play like we did in the 15-16 season.

I reckon Reach is best as a LWB and can take over from Pudil. We need to sign a RWB with better end product than Hunt.

Loovens needs replacing. I'm one of the few who rate Sasso, would be comfortable with a Lees Sasso CB pairing.