Who do you want then?

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

The 4 sides from last year are far better than this year. What an incredible opportunity we have here. 

I agree, from last season Brighton have gone up unexpectedly, there isn't a team of Hulls experience and Derby tanked early doors. But these sides are all here on merit, the points requirement has been higher this seasonand we have failed to beat Reading or Fulham so far (narrowly). They all have a sting in their tail that we need to be wary of. I'm not sure thinking of ourselves as favourites or of this being our best chance really helps us that much,  it only adds further pressure.

Im just hopeful that we can be this seasons Hull. Not just because they won, but because they saw the playoffs as a job to be done, not a novelty.

Just now, Bluesteel said:

I think we could've been much closer to the top two and if we don't do it this season then hopefully we can have the resilience that Brighton showed this season.

Its interesting to realise that had we beaten Brighton twice, rather than lost those 2 games, then we would be above them in the table now. 

So we haven't been that far off automatic places. we've done the double over Newcastle and Huddersfield, but losing twice to Brighton and Reading have effectively cost us. So next season we need a better record against the top sides 

3 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Honestly right now, I consider ourselves as serious contenders for promotion.  

Going to be tough no doubt, but what's new.  Personally I would go full strength against Fulham next week in front of a packed out Hillsboro and show them what we are capable.of.  

We are serious contenders, we have the experience that other teams are lacking. We were just happy to be there last season but now it's serious. 

However, I think squad depth only helps so much in playoffs and I think most teams are very evenly matched on their day. Hopefully the luck that deserted us in front of goal against the likes of Reading comes back, because the playoffs are just like rolling a dice.

7 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Honestly right now, I consider ourselves as serious contenders for promotion.  

Going to be tough no doubt, but what's new.  Personally I would go full strength against Fulham next week in front of a packed out Hillsboro and show them what we are capable.of.  

That's going to be of little significance though because I really can't see Fulham playing their star men. Their only objective next week will be keeping players fresh and injury free while avoiding a 12-0 loss. That really is all that is the game for them so regardless of how well or otherwise we play, I doubt it would have even the slightest effect on their psyche.

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Its interesting to realise that had we beaten Brighton twice, rather than lost those 2 games, then we would be above them in the table now. 

So we haven't been that far off automatic places. we've done the double over Newcastle and Huddersfield, but losing twice to Brighton and Reading have effectively cost us. So next season we need a better record against the top sides 

I think every team can cite key games that cost them. But missing an open goal at home to Brighton and a penalty away there. Plus the penalty at Elland Road are big moments that cost us automatic promotion. 

2 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

That's going to be of little significance though because I really can't see Fulham playing their star men. Their only objective next week will be keeping players fresh and injury free while avoiding a 12-0 loss. That really is all that is the game for them so regardless of how well or otherwise we play, I doubt it would have even the slightest effect on their psyche.

I think we might be better keeping our powder dry. Try and win but use different personel.

1 minute ago, sherlyegg said:

Bloody ell, it won't be easy beating chelski, man city, spurs...though i think we will do man u and liverpool easy :biggrin:

I can't wait for the days of the home grown rule, wage caps and transfer limits. 

It should even out the playing field.

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think we might be better keeping our powder dry. Try and win but use different personel.

Yep, with our squad strength, we can put out a pretty strong side and still hold players back though I think that it will just peter out as a stroll on a Sunday afternoon with both sides content to walk away with a point. Maybe I will be proved wrong. We will see next Sunday, I suppose.

31 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think we probably are the best side, if we finish 3rd it's probably about right. But you know what they say about the favourites in these playoffs :picnic:

But if you try and look at the stats, your last point is not true.

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

So the "favourite" usually goes up?

Have a look at the stats, what do you think.

You gave the impression that 3rd place don't get promoted.

Have a look at the stats, then you tell me.

Just now, MAL said:

Have a look at the stats, what do you think.

You gave the impression that 3rd place don't get promoted.

Have a look at the stats, then you tell me.

I have. 39.5% before we beat Brighton to reduce that further. 

My point was not that finishing 3rd means you don't go up. But that often the fancied team doesn't, which is true as it's a complete mixed bag even at 39%. 

I don't think that scenario applies here as no one was realistically missing out late on 2nd and suffering as a result. It's just that being a "favourite" which we may well be regardless of final position with our squad means little.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10275474/football-league-play-offs-is-third-place-a-curse-or-is-that-a-myth

I think it just proves it's a complete lottery and being a favourite doesn't mean much, especially with how close it is this year.

I agree with this post, it is a lottery, best teams on the day win, doesn't matter where you finish.

But you suggested that 3rd place don't get promoted.