Promotion

i cant imagine any team in the top 6 worrying about playing us in the play offs.

if they look at that game yesterday all of them will now know how to play against us, even Huddersfield might have learnt how to play against us now

So if we can get there by changing our system we will give them something to think about, and will have no one to fear

We won't have a better chance because this current play off pack is as weak as it's ever been & our squad, on paper, is better.

But I'm getting really bored of saying 'if CC can get us firing'....'once we click teams better watch their backs' etc etc

We've shown no signs that CC is going to change the way we play. We've played the same way all season. It's probably gonna be just effective enough for us to 5th or 6th & at least put our names in the lottery.

1 minute ago, FlyingOwl said:

We won't have a better chance because this current play off pack is as weak as it's ever been & our squad, on paper, is better.

But I'm getting really bored of saying 'if CC can get us firing'....'once we click teams better watch their backs' etc etc

We've shown no signs that CC is going to change the way we play. We've played the same way all season. It's probably gonna be just effective enough for us to 5th or 6th & at least put our names in the lottery.

I have never understood people saying the league is harder this season than last. Hull, Derby and Brighton were far stronger teams than Leeds, Udders and Reading, and we were a better team last year than this too, despite the table saying fractionally otherwise.

As we get deeper and deeper into the season it's hard not to begin to doubt if we will ever "click". I hope Carlos falls upon his best team very soon, and that he then sticks with it, in which case we can take the play-offs against average teams by storm.

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Abdi and Bannan can't play together. For all his undoubted quality I've never seen a midfielder who neshes as many 50/50's as Bannan and Abdi is not exactly a 'dog of war' midfielder. We'd never win the ball back until it reached our back 4.

Lots of people said the same about Lee-Bannan, yet now look back with fondness on just how good it was.

The days of dogs of war midfields are gone. Is our current midfield, which contains the beastliest midfield beast that so many craved for, better than Lee-Bannan? Not by a long chalk.

At home Abdi-Bannan is surely better than playing 3 CBs.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

I have never understood people saying the league is harder this season than last. Hull, Derby and Brighton were far stronger teams than Leeds, Udders and Reading, and we were a better team last year than this too, despite the table saying fractionally otherwise.

As we get deeper and deeper into the season it's hard not to begin to doubt if we will ever "click". I hope Carlos falls upon his best team very soon, and that he then sticks with it, in which case we can take the play-offs against average teams by storm.

If I had the time it'd be interesting to look at the other play off teams & see how often they change their first 11.

I feel sorry for the full backs the most. None of them are the best but I'm pretty sure that it can't help not getting a solid run of games, building confidence etc.

Reach hasn't been the best. Certainly not worth £5m and I was furious watching him yesterday. But again, it can't help that one minute he's left wing, next minute he's left back. Sometimes he has Fox behind him, sometimes Pudil, sometimes he has FF in front of him...sometimes Bannan, sometimes McManaman. 

There's no fluidity to our play. Our tactics are awful to watch but we also seem like a team shot of confidence & a team that doesn't know what moves to make. No idea what to do next when 30 yards from goal. So many times we just seem to dally, panic & then pick an easy pass....usually backwards.

If we had a tried and tested first 11 that rarely changed bar exhaustion or injury, things may look different. 

12 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I think that was always the target; and it's worked in theory. I think we can only judge success or failure once the season is over.

2 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

If I had the time it'd be interesting to look at the other play off teams & see how often they change their first 11.

I feel sorry for the full backs the most. None of them are the best but I'm pretty sure that it can't help not getting a solid run of games, building confidence etc.

Reach hasn't been the best. Certainly not worth £5m and I was furious watching him yesterday. But again, it can't help that one minute he's left wing, next minute he's left back. Sometimes he has Fox behind him, sometimes Pudil, sometimes he has FF in front of him...sometimes Bannan, sometimes McManaman. 

There's no fluidity to our play. Our tactics are awful to watch but we also seem like a team shot of confidence & a team that doesn't know what moves to make. No idea what to do next when 30 yards from goal. So many times we just seem to dally, panic & then pick an easy pass....usually backwards.

If we had a tried and tested first 11 that rarely changed bar exhaustion or injury, things may look different. 

That's why I emphasized the need to stick to a winning formula if he finds it.

He found one last year then binned it inexplicably.

He seemed to have finally fallen on a successful formula at home with a 3-0 and 2-1 then proceeded to drop Winnall and move player positions v Brentford.

funny how  everyone thinks we have the players to be pushing for automatic and yet the consensus seems to be we are  weak in the 2 full back positions ,we lack decent wingers ,our 5 million left side player couldn't trap a bag of cement , our midfield general is crap and looking at yesterday is replacement isn't much better  ,we have no cover at centre back ,only one of our numerous strikers can create his own goals and our manager as lost the plot with the pressure of it all .......IF  all that is true then how well have we done to be 5 points clear in the play spot . 

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

funny how  everyone thinks we have the players to be pushing for automatic and yet the consensus seems to be we are  weak in the 2 full back positions ,we lack decent wingers ,our 5 million left side player couldn't trap a bag of cement , our midfield general is crap and looking at yesterday is replacement isn't much better  ,we have no cover at centre back ,only one of our numerous strikers can create his own goals and our manager as lost the plot with the pressure of it all .......IF  all that is true then how well have we done to be 5 points clear in the play spot . 

I suspect this is a rhetorrycal (just came to me!) question.

The full-backs are ok but not great.

Reach does have some poor games (car-crash Leeds) but is a good player, best current LB we have, or least bad anyway.

Bannan is a first- class midfield general but even Custer lost when he stood holding the flag on his own. His replacement (imo) looked very good first half but went off the boil second. I think they might love having each other as tied together partners.

We have Sasso and Hutch, who as 3rd and 4th choice cover CB must be the best in the Div.

We do only have one self-sufficient striker though.

We are 6th because we have about 13 or 14 very good individual players.

17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I think we have the players. I think some, including Reach who I haven't rated much, are being done a disservice by being constantly moved around, left back, left wing, bench, back to left back, half time..left wing now pal. Forestieri, left wing...forward...in the hole...left wing. Bannan, centre mid, left wing, bench, next to Hutch, next to Abdi, next to Jones. No partnerships are being formed. 

How can individual players, or a team, play fluid football in that sort of situation.

Take Rhodes for example. How many times have you watched interviews with top strikers who say they put their successful season down to one or two other players. Who say they make it easy for them to score because they know where they're going to play a ball seconds before it's even played. They can read each other. I'm sure Rhodes has had this at Huddersfield and Blackburn. I know Winnall had this at Barnsley. The reason he's scored 13 this season is largely down to the midfielders he played with. They played fluid football, Winnall was in sync with the midfield.

Bannan and Abdi are just as clever play makers as Hourihane &...whatever midfielders Blackburn had. Wallace has as good a delivery as anyone in this league. Hunt can whip a ball in and so can Reach/Pudil. It's a shame Lee is out but I don't think we'd be much better off for it.

We need a first 11. A recognised first 11 that doesn't change unless completely necessary. At this stage in the season we shouldn't be playing as if we're strangers...but that's exactly what I saw yesterday. 

Edited by FlyingOwl

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I suspect this is a rhetorrycal (just came to me!) question.

The full-backs are ok but not great.

Reach does have some poor games (car-crash Leeds) but is a good player, best current LB we have, or least bad anyway.

Bannan is a first- class midfield general but even Custer lost when he stood holding the flag on his own. His replacement (imo) looked very good first half but went off the boil second. I think they might love having each other as tied together partners.

We have Sasso and Hutch, who as 3rd and 4th choice cover CB must be the best in the Div.

We do only have one self-sufficient striker though.

We are 6th because we have about 13 or 14 very good individual players.

I know how many good players we have and certainly don't think we have many bad ones (if any) but like I said the consensus seems to be what I posted .... after every game we get threads naming various players or positions who are rubbish .

2 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I think we have the players. I think some, including Reach who I haven't rated much, are being done a disservice by being constantly moved around, left back, left wing, bench, back to left back, half time..left wing now pal. 

How can individual players, or a team, play fluid football in that sort of situation.

Take Rhodes for example. How many times have you watched interviews with top strikers who say they put their successful season down to one or two other players. Who say they make it easy for them to score because they know where they're going to play a ball seconds before it's even played. They can read each other. I'm sure Rhodes has had this at Huddersfield and Blackburn. I know Winnall had this at Barnsley. The reason he's scored 13 this season is largely down to the midfielders he played with. They played fluid football, Winnall was in sync with the midfield.

Bannan and Abdi are just as clever play makers as Hourihane &...whatever midfielders Blackburn had. Wallace has as good a delivery as anyone in this league. Hunt can whip a ball in and so can Reach/Pudil. It's a shame Lee is out but I don't think we'd be much better off for it.

We need a first 11. A recognised first 11 that doesn't change unless completely necessary. At this stage in the season we shouldn't be playing as if we're strangers...but that's exactly what I saw yesterday. 

that's fair comment and agree with all you say ...I think we are a good side that doesn't play to it's strengths but a lot don't see it that way and criticise the players .trawl down 3 or 4 pages and you see thread after thread with various players being called everything between not good enough to hopeless ....

The way we play makes players look worse than they are.

last season when Hunt had the ball he knew Wallace would be in front of him, now he gets the ball and Wallace appears to have been told to drift inside all the time, so he is left exposed.

no one on the left hand side knows who is playing with who, again last year Pudil and FF knew where each other would be.

FF is lost playing in a front two, everyone (except CC it seems) knows he is better when he has space around him (the goal last week was an exception) while we have a proven goal scorer on the bench

Who ever plays in central midfield is on their own which Hutch holding hands with the centre backs, perhaps why Wallace drifts inside all the time.

so hopefully we will limp into the playoffs and a light will come for CC and we will play to the players strengths (like the second half against Huddersfield)

3 minutes ago, the third man said:

last season when Hunt had the ball he knew Wallace would be in front of him, now he gets the ball and Wallace appears to have been told to drift inside all the time, so he is left exposed.

no one on the left hand side knows who is playing with who, again last year Pudil and FF knew where each other would be.

FF is lost playing in a front two, everyone (except CC it seems) knows he is better when he has space around him (the goal last week was an exception) while we have a proven goal scorer on the bench

Who ever plays in central midfield is on their own which Hutch holding hands with the centre backs, perhaps why Wallace drifts inside all the time.

so hopefully we will limp into the playoffs and a light will come for CC and we will play to the players strengths (like the second half against Huddersfield)

Superb. Agree with every word.

10 minutes ago, the third man said:

nail on the head mate .....

24 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I think we have the players. I think some, including Reach who I haven't rated much, are being done a disservice by being constantly moved around, left back, left wing, bench, back to left back, half time..left wing now pal. Forestieri, left wing...forward...in the hole...left wing. Bannan, centre mid, left wing, bench, next to Hutch, next to Abdi, next to Jones. No partnerships are being formed. 

I agree wholeheartedly about the need for player bonds. Upto about the first 16 games I maintained a thread about the need for a settled attack, and pointed out that no partnership had played more than 25% of our total minutes. Amazingly, that is still the case now as we near the home stretch, and let's be honest there can't be many of us who think the current Rhodes-FF duo is the answer.

So whilst I totally agree that (after 34 games!!!!) he should know and trust our XI, he doesn't. I am sure you are not advocating pick the current XI, stick with it and be damned.

Birmingham and a Blackburn were far from perfect, but for the first time this season we were scoring and winning. For the first time we showed glimpses of an attacking and scoring team. That is what he should have stuck with, but he didn't.

Instead, against Norwich and Burton, we are back to the drawing board.

Hopefully he saw enough against Brum, Blackburn and the second half v Brentford to finally stick with a line-up.