The Owls vs Wolves. Official Matchday Thread.

5 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Shocking performance again.  Carlos needs to get this sorted.  Lucky to get a point but losing ground on the others.  With Udders and Brighton to come we could be way down by the middle of January.  Not good at the moment.  Only 1 decent performance in the last 5 games.

That good performance was in essence a defensive performance. That is ok against top of the table but against mediocre teams we seem incapable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck until there is no alternative but to go for it. It seems that possession is number one priority expecting points to come as a by product.

4 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Historically Carlito is a one-season manager. Why should he be any different here? As a person, I like him, but he isn't being paid for being nice. We've been sussed, and we've got no answer to it. Never mind lucky Arsenal, they'll be calling us lucky Wednesday.

Best season in umpteen years. Sat in 6th. Draw a game. Sack manager.

Just now, NorthernOwl said:

You realise we are in the top 6 right? People were saying we would get automatic after the Newcastle game, now its Carlos out 2 games later. It's a tough league and we'll win some and we'll lose some but I've no doubt we'll be in the playoffs come the end of the season.

But we're lucky to be there. We should be doing better, bearing in mind what we've coughed up. The fans are paying big fees to circumvent FFP. The recruitment in the summer was poor. We played well against Newcastle because they let us. They thought they could beat us without making arrangements for us. But the rest won't do that.

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

But we're lucky to be there. We should be doing better, bearing in mind what we've coughed up. The fans are paying big fees to circumvent FFP. The recruitment in the summer was poor. We played well against Newcastle because they let us. They thought they could beat us without making arrangements for us. But the rest won't do that.

BS

Just now, 5318008 said:

Best season in umpteen years. Sat in 6th. Draw a game. Sack manager.

It's what you put in against what you get out. When I think about the managers we've had, and what little they had to spend. Look at Gray, poor sod. Saved us from the drop when we looked dead and buried, then got us into mid table on nothing. Then he gets the sack.

4 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

That good performance was in essence a defensive performance. That is ok against top of the table but against mediocre teams we seem incapable of taking the game by the scruff of the neck until there is no alternative but to go for it. It seems that possession is number one priority expecting points to come as a by product.

Spot on. 

Guest Copthorneowl

Post match comments vToon "brilliant Carlos well done"

Post Match v Wolves sack him.

Lets get some perspective 6th close to 3-5th disappointing result but for Christ sake like a bunch of kids not getting their ice cream today.

4 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Right so you give the team no credit when they win away against the team top of the league. But you are happy to complain when they get a couple of draws. Okey dokey.

1 minute ago, NorthernOwl said:

Right so you give the team no credit when they win away against the team top of the league. But you are happy to complain when they get a couple of draws. Okey dokey.

I did give them credit, but I'd fancy us against any team in this division who think they can beat us and just go out and play an open game. It was similar at Norwich. But they're ex-PL clubs. Carlos' football works against teams that do that. It doesn't work against the clubs that don't.

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I did give them credit, but I'd fancy us against any team in this division who think they can beat us and just go out and play an open game. It was similar at Norwich. But they're ex-PL clubs. Carlos' football works against teams that do that. It doesn't work against the clubs that don't.

Yes I agree with you here. And that's one reason why I think people are being too harsh on Carlos. We had the benefit of being under the radar last season. This season was always going to be much tougher once teams got a better idea of how we play and set up. On that basis to be in the top 6, averaging slightly more points should be seen as an achievement. I know people wanted us to be automatic challengers this year but it was never a realistic aim. 

We were long overdue a draw at home and it happened today against a team who's record at Hillsborough is Top Drawer. They'll go home tonight thinking they've been robbed but they've robbed us at S6 over the years more times than Mr Turpin robbed horse driven coaches on the Highway.

As for the way forward, we need to find a bit more fluency but I'm sure it'll come. It's a sign of a good side when you can grind out results when not playing well. We may have drawn the last two games but that's 4 points picked up against both Preston and Wolves, more than we did against these sides last season. I'm confident we'll get good results against both Huddersfield and Brighton, we're a bit more dogged than last year and if I remember correctly, some were saying this is what we had to be more of to get promoted? See where we are in March before we read Carlos the riot act, eh.?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Just now, NorthernOwl said:

Yes I agree with you here. And that's one reason why I think people are being too harsh on Carlos. We had the benefit of being under the radar last season. This season was always going to be much tougher once teams got a better idea of how we play and set up. On that basis to be in the top 6, averaging slightly more points should be seen as an achievement. I know people wanted us to be automatic challengers this year but it was never a realistic aim. 

I've never had us down as down as automatic promotion candidates. And I agree utterly with you on the fact that we were underestimated last season.  I'm not convinced that Carlos knows how to deal with traditional, get-stuck-in, "British"-type football. If we had to play Newcastle every week, we'd go up. If we had to play Preston every week, we'd go down. Benitez/Bennett is another Iberian, after all.

3 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We were long overdue a draw at home and it happened today against a team who's record at Hillsborough is Top Drawer. They'll go home tonight thinking they've been robbed but they've robbed us at S6 more times than Mr Turpin robbed horse driven coaches on the Highway.

As for the way forward, we need to find a bit more fluency but I'm sure it'll come. It's a sign of a good side when you can grind out results when not playing well. We may have drawn the last two games but that's 4 points picked up against both Preston and Wolves, more than we did against these sides last season. I'm confident we'll get good results against both Huddersfield and Brighton, we're a bit more dogged than last year and if I remember correctly, some were saying this is what we had to be more of to get promoted? See where we are in March before we read Carlos the riot act, eh.?

WTF:

Wednesday 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Possession: 49-51

Shots on target: 5-3

Shots off target: 11-9 

Corners: 3-4

Fouls: 13-9

Yellow cards: 1-0

Red cards: 0-0

Westwood, Hunt, Lees, Lees, Sasso, Reach, McManaman (Joao 53), Lee (Wallace 53), Hutchinson, Bannan, Fletcher (Jones 76), Forestieri. 

Subs not used: Wildsmith, Nuhiu, Palmer, Wallace.

Not the best performance but not the worst.

Well done Wednesday. 

Well done Wolverhampton Wanderers. 

Another poor performance.

1 minute ago, aeroswfc said:

Wednesday 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Possession: 49-51

Shots on target: 5-3

Shots off target: 11-9 

Corners: 3-4

Fouls: 13-9

Yellow cards: 1-0

Red cards: 0-0

Westwood, Hunt, Lees, Lees, Sasso, Reach, McManaman (Joao 53), Lee (Wallace 53), Hutchinson, Bannan, Fletcher (Jones 76), Forestieri. 

Subs not used: Wildsmith, Nuhiu, Palmer, Wallace.

Not the best performance but not the worst.

Well done Wednesday. 

Well done Wolverhampton Wanderers. 

Another poor performance.

?