The Hillsborough Kop packed for the 1977 FA Cup Semi Final

1 hour ago, mkowl said:

Sure there have never been towers there - absolutely convinced that is a photoshop of the ones used to be at Tinsley 

If I am wrong I must have always gone past with my eyes shut

Correct, you did ! 

Edited by the monk

There were never any cooling towers. Some warehouses and small scale industrial plots, but not a bloody power station.

It's our unroofed kop and scoreboard though. I started going regular in 74 and it was boxed in then.

40p to get in as a nipper.

12 hours ago, marconi said:

I was on the Kop that day, occupied by Leeds fans. As a season ticket holder you could apply for a ticket which was quite easy to get.

something not quite right about that photo though.

Same here was sat on the barrier below the score board

But though it was Man U end and got "invaded" by about 30-40 leeds hardcore which was brave/foolhardy thing to do as Man U had a bad reputation at the time. They didn't stay on the kop long though.

14 hours ago, marshy said:

Far too much stigma attached to us for there ever to be a Semi Final at hillsborough. We could knock the whole of the west stand down & rebuild it & still we'd never get a emi final awarded. Plus Wembley was so much over budget, the FA will see to it that Semi finals are there for years to come.

rebuild it

There has been two FA Cup Semi Finals at Hillsborough since 1989. 1992 and 1997.

10 minutes ago, SouthStandParty said:

There has been two FA Cup Semi Finals at Hillsborough since 1989. 1992 and 1997.

Sorry I completely forgot about those however I still don't think in the modern day we would get awarded a semi final. Especially with the costs attributed to Wembley.

11 hours ago, pauli said:

There were never any cooling towers. Some warehouses and small scale industrial plots, but not a bloody power station.

It's our unroofed kop and scoreboard though. I started going regular in 74 and it was boxed in then.

40p to get in as a nipper.

The pic is taken from the north pointing towards the dog track where the power station was

Guest minsk owl

That pic is definitely shopped, but there was at least one tower at Neepsend power station.

Corner of Penistone Road / Livesey St  circa 1967  ( dog track far left )

livesey st penistone rd.jpg

See I think from the north at that camera angle - the straight line sight would have taken you no further east than Bassetts at best 

All I know is that there weren't any ruddy cooling towers at the back of the Kop on Penistone Road