McGugan high ball for lavery

Which brings me on to.

Why the hell did Maguire take that free kick?

i dont know the answer to your question. However im not sure mcgugan should have been on the pitch did he receive treatment. Law says he has to leave pitch... its a daft rule that one, you were injured by your opponent so you have to go off the pitch.

i dont know the answer to your question. However im not sure mcgugan should have been on the pitch did he receive treatment. Law says he has to leave pitch... its a daft rule that one, you were injured by your opponent so you have to go off the pitch.

That's correct. Both McGugan and vermijl had physio treatment so by the letter of the law should have left the pitch until after play was restarted. However, if you get away with it you let McGugan take the bleedin thing

I'll defend Maguire (He doesn't deserve it): 

Lewis had already had one or two chances from free kicks and not hit the target, so Maguire probably thought he had the right to have a go.

However lets be honest here, the second his boot made contact with the ball, I knew there'd be no chance of it being a goal. Quality backpass though!

i am sure the rule relates to whether or not the player receives treatment, not whether they are 'injured' or not.

Guest totemowl

I don't understand why the manager does not make sure that the player with the best chance of scoring ie mcgugan always takes them.

It is pretty basic , and maguire should be told to leave them alone

If McGugan was still winded / lame but Maguire was fresh then that's a good reason for Maguire to give it a go.

Guest Iron Hunter

The control by Lavery was absolutely beautiful.

Best bit of skill all season though disappointed that he didnt try the Van Basten!

Guest thetruthisoutthere

Actually I think the rule regarding leaving the field of play where it is injury related refers to a head injury not a basic tackle (leg injury) happy to be corrected if wrong

Actually I think the rule regarding leaving the field of play where it is injury related refers to a head injury not a basic tackle (leg injury) happy to be corrected if wrong

You're wrong  lol

Oh alright, I suppose I should actually give evidence...

One of the subsections yadda yadda yadda of Rule 5:

"An injured player may only return to the field of play after the match has restarted"

Once they get any sort of treatment, they've got to leave the pitch until the match has restarted. No way he should have been on the pitch (although it's completely inconsequential in the end). Also, I think Isgrove went down injured too... we should have been down to 9!