The reason we don't score......

Guest wrightson

We need some perspective.

Last season we had goals throughout most of the team, we had more pace and better attacking options. The likes of Antonio and JJ, despite their inconsistency were a threat with their pace. We also had the likes of Wickham, Fryatt & Best on loan, none of those players have been replaced with equal quality. The main problem though is that MM wants out, he won't back Gray enough. Gray is still waiting for a DOF he was promised as well as some attacking quality. The cost cutting is having a detrimental effect especially on our home form. Not just with quality players not being replaced but also cost cutting with the pitch which is being neglected by MM, same as the stadium, facilities and commercial side. Despite all that Gray has worked wonders with a bottom 3 budget and a lower league level attack. He's got the defensive platform just right we just need more pace and attacking threat. We are creating chances but our shooting and heading keeps missing the target. The way we are set up and with the players we've got we're more suited to playing away. Last season we had Wickham and Fryatt, and Antonio, etc and our home form wasn't as poor as it is now.

Simply Gray needs to be backed more and the pitch needs fixing. The new owners can't come soon enough, I just hope they are the real deal and not nutjobs.

Despite our poor budget and attacking options, Gray has somehow got us into the top ten. The problem isn't Gray.

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

Grays been around football a long time.He knows more than us on here about tactics etc.

If he's setting us up defensively its for a reason and if theres something wrong with the formation I'm sure he can see it.

I believe we just dont have the players.We lack pace and our wide men are too inconsistent.Very inconsistent.

Nuhiu, love him but you play him in a side where goals come from other sources.We no longer have those goal scoring defenders or a ten goal midfielder.

If we start going gungho we'll get out scored.

Grays been around football a long time.He knows more than us on here about tactics etc.

If he's setting us up defensively its for a reason and if theres something wrong with the formation I'm sure he can see it.

I believe we just dont have the players.We lack pace and our wide men are too inconsistent.Very inconsistent.

Nuhiu, love him but you play him in a side where goals come from other sources.We no longer have those goal scoring defenders or a ten goal midfielder.

If we start going gungho we'll get out scored.

I agree with this. As I posted in a previous thread...

If we bring in better attacking players, I'm sure we'll loosen the defensive straightjacket a little.

It's a calculated gamble, really - it's not worth sacrificing the defensive side of our game at the moment, as our attacking players aren't likely to capitalise all that often, leaving us liable to conceded more than we score. If we manage to bring in better attackers who are more likely to punish the opposition, then it may be worth pushing forward a bit more, even if we're likely to concede a little more often - we'd take the risk that our strikers would be more effective than the opponent's.

The way we played last season when we had Wickham upfront would suggest that Gray is willing to play more expansive football if he believes we have the players to make it worthwhile.

There's little point in lowering your defences if all you have to strike the enemy with is a weak left hook - that's how you get knocked the feck out!

Could we try a different formation at home.

I'd quite like us to play with more pace,

maybe playing 3-5-2 with wing-backs might work at home?

Whereas we can continue to set up defensively away from home and hit teams on the counter-attack.

Playing wing-backs in a 3-5-2 Bristol City type formation might give us more width and pace.

But also allow us to flood the midfield, keep a solid shape but also go for it a bit more and keep possession.

It's something i'd like to see us do, until we get takenover and have the money to bring in some quality attacking players,

Gray simply as to make do with what we've got. He's doing a remarkable job, to be anywhere near the top half let alone 9th

with our squad, our budget and our attacking options is a testament of how well Gray as done but he just needs to be backed more for his efforts.

Grays tactics are defensive. They have to be that way because Loovens and Lee are pretty slow down the centre, thus they defend deeper than they should. The midfield do not get forward for the same reason. An exception has been Lee lately, often in the box adding numbers. Unfortunate that he did'nt play last night. The forwards are good enough, but tension is palpable at Hillsborough due to the so called "supporters" getting on their backs after 2 minutes of play !

There is a simple answer to why we are not scoring enough!We are not shooting enough!!!! We are trying to walk the ball in. It's no good trying to work the ball into the ideal place for scoring - and surprise, surprise there is no such place unless we are given a penalty. How often do any of our players shoot from outside the penalty area, and how many times do we work the ball into the six-yard box only to find a wall of defenders? We often appear to try to get the ball to one or two people in particular.There is nothing in the rulebook that says only strikers can score. And if you don't have a go, you will not score. At times this season, it has looked as though we were deliberatly NOT attempting.

We have no creative players who can go at teams with pace or delivery quality balls into the box, the few chances we do create are often missed. 

Guest Mancunian_Owl

We do need a replacement for Antonio/JJ/Drenthe. Someone who can run at defenders from out wide with real pace.

I get the feeling Helan and Maguire are "Gray" players as they are solid defensive wingers, they will cover the ground well and provide cover for their Full Backs all game.

I don't think a winger would have worked last night though, you coudn't dribble and pass on that pitch like that.

We do need a replacement for Antonio/JJ/Drenthe. Someone who can run at defenders from out wide with real pace.

I get the feeling Helan and Maguire are "Gray" players as they are solid defensive wingers, they will cover the ground well and provide cover for their Full Backs all game.

I don't think a winger would have worked last night though, you coudn't dribble and pass on that pitch like that.

It didn't stop gray in the 2nd half last night for brum, and to be fair both maguire and Maghoma had plenty of chances to run at players - Helan too - and they kept losing it in the middle

The issues with not scoring goals apart from the obvious strikers not being able to hot a barn door is simple.

1.  We never get beyond defences,  none of our midfield is able to see or execute a killer pass.   Look at the Di Canio video posted on here.   The number of quality balls played to him spliting defences getting him in behind with a free shot on goal. 

2.  Our midfield never got beyond the front 2 to affect play.   Its not just about the strikers but midfielders being in and around the box and reacting.

3.  The quality of our distribution is shocking.   The number of times we play sideways and backwards instead of forwards.  When do the strikers ever recieve the ball without being back to goal.  balls they can run on to in the centre of the field they dont.

4. We seem to just lump it at big dave.  For me we would be better without him.  It would makes us play a diferent game you would hope.

5.  Tactics, I'm sorry but you do have to questions the coaching and tactics we do not attack last night Birminghams keeper made 1 save that is awful.

Defence should take the middle ground, ie top of the centre circle arc

it shortens the pitch, closes gaps from midfield to both defence & strikers

and a long ball over the top wont be a problem as keeper is sweeper

IF you camp on half way line to run big risks, ie offside and footrace to our box

Take the middle ground!

you need good pace in the middle of your back line to push up to the centre circle...

a diagonal ball through or over them will always expose big centrebacks in a foot race... 

Listen to most football coaches and they'll trot out the usual clichés such as "If you wanna win matches, you've gotta score goals"

How refreshing that our team is prepared to avoid such tired old dogma by trying to win matches by not scoring goals. 

People asking for Hirsty to come in to help. Il just state the best players dont make the best coaches. We need an attacking coach who can read where we are going wrong; look at an oppositions weakness in defence and exploit it; help our forwards find form and encourage creation from midfield.

What worries me is our lack of conviction at home. We hadnt played in 10 days yet yesterday started like we had all night. I do believe one big reason for our poor home form in the last 19 years is us the fans. We are impatient; no atmosphere and used to slate a player if he missed placed a pass. Now we slate him before hes even signed on the dotted line. This needs to change.

When we are away there is a togetherness between fans and players. No pressure. At home there is a pressure. A grey cloud hanging over it. A half full stadium lacks atmosphere. Most of our fans hate singing so wont build up an atmosphere.

Until we change what we expect from the players things wont change on the field.

the reason we don't score is...

good quality forwards and good quality players to supply those forwards cost serious money...

the man running our club has no intention of EVER spending that type of money, thus...

He can't even afford to fix up the pitch; our stadium, our facilities, sort out our commercial side, get Gray a DOF he was promised.  :milan:

Let alone back Gray properly for his remarkable efforts that somehow have got a bottom 6 squad with a bottom 3 budget and lower league level attacking options into the top ten at this level.  :stuwinky:

Guest wrightson

you need good pace in the middle of your back line to push up to the centre circle...

a diagonal ball through or over them will always expose big centrebacks in a foot race...

Derby have 2 big centre backs and seem to be fine with pushing up to half way line