General Meeting reminder

Guest Steve French

That's a boast post and a half.

The best I can do is:

Former professional footballer, manager, record holder, Fantasy Football star great uncle (sadly no longer with us).

Third cousin who is on the Times rich list and personal friends with Prince Charles. Former owner of various household name companies and brands as well as chairman/owner (at various points) of a professional rugby club.

Great aunt who was in important artist and passed away a few years ago and was the illegitimate child of a British artist who was featured on the cover of Time and whose mother was herself a celebrated musician.

Far back there is some evidence to suggest that my ancestor in this family line was a teacher who taught William Shakespeare.

No kings, rulers or leaders tho.

Just in case anyone wondered who these people are/were:

1) Jack/Jackie Brownsword - Broke various records at Scunthorpe. Also played for Hull and Frickley. Took 50 pens, scored 49. Shankly described him as the finest full-back to play outside the top league. Turned down numerous advances from top clubs because he was loyal. Appeared on Badiel & Skinner. All round nice guy. RIP Jack old lad.

2) Andrew Brownsword. Invented Forever Friends and various other brands and so on. Formerly chairman of Bath.

3) Gwyneth Johnstone, artist. Daughter of Augustus John (artist) and Nora Brownsword (musician), niece of Gwen John (artist). RIP.

My family is mad as toast.

Guest Steve French

That's quite a heritage there BH. If some of the posters on here are to be believed I come from a long line of Porkswords! :rolleyes:

lol

I genuinely once entered a radio phone in where they invited people to tell the station the name of their first pet and the weirdest won a trip to Florida for two and spending money. I called up "my first dog was called Boris Brownsword, it was on his papers and vets bills and everything" and I didn't win.

Trev , you know the amount of time and effort we have all put into the posters and what worthwhile work itr has been,

First helping smile . then you and Di and then more lately ICO, as you know wednesdayite have not taken a penny out of the funds for time spent or other resourses used, In fact for the ICO one it cost me a fair bit personally for the postage for one's where people were generous enough to donate over £20.

I would kjust like to confirm all the proceeds from the iCO poster and the auction of the owl have been passed to his partner.

I don't doubt your word Paul and never have mate All that worried me is the fact that it was mention'd that funds were frozen mate and that prompted the question nothing more Paul, and tbh mate you do not have to prove anything to me your word is enough ,

lol

I genuinely once entered a radio phone in where they invited people to tell the station the name of their first pet and the weirdest won a trip to Florida for two and spending money. I called up "my first dog was called Boris Brownsword, it was on his papers and vets bills and everything" and I didn't win.

lol

DeeJayOne

Continuing to operate as an unincorporated entity is risky as the entity does not have corporate protection and our insurers also suggested it. it also made it easier to open a new bank account and also to enable us to get a clean structure for when the organisation is passed on.

We believe a company limited by guarantee (Sheffield Wednesday Community Programme Limited - has this corporate structure, as does the newly formed SWSC Limited) is an ideal structure and is easier to administer than an IPS.

Yes we acknowledge the past and the way it was handled was not ideal to say the least but no one is seeking personal gain out of this, instead we are spending many hours trying to rectify what went wrong. Like I have said previously members have been fully briefed in laymen's terms (cos I didn't write it!!) as to what went wrong , what has happened since and what is going to happen

Thanks Paul. Very much appreciated.

As I said earlier, you guys put a hell of a lot of work in, for little thanks, and I've every respect and appreciation for that. I'm absolutely certain nothing bad has been done purposefully or maliciously.

DeeJayOne

Continuing to operate as an unincorporated entity is risky as the entity does not have corporate protection and our insurers also suggested it. it also made it easier to open a new bank account and also to enable us to get a clean structure for when the organisation is passed on.

We believe a company limited by guarantee (Sheffield Wednesday Community Programme Limited - has this corporate structure, as does the newly formed SWSC Limited) is an ideal structure and is easier to administer than an IPS.

Yes we acknowledge the past and the way it was handled was not ideal to say the least but no one is seeking personal gain out of this, instead we are spending many hours trying to rectify what went wrong. Like I have said previously members have been fully briefed in laymen's terms (cos I didn't write it!!) as to what went wrong , what has happened since and what is going to happen

With the greatest respect if the accounts had been filed when they should have been then no one would have to be spending ANY time rectifying what went wrong would they?

Guest Deleted member

Just in from an afternoon/evening at the pictures (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - if you've not seen it, save yourself some time and don't bother), and pleased to see some clarification of the matter from Paul.

As I've maintained all the way throughout this, Paul is a consummate professional and I had every confidence that the advice he was giving was spot on.

Cheers Paul.

NOW can I suggest everybody gives it - rest til the matter is resolved with the legal people (not sure but that's either the 3rd or 4th time I've suggested it)

So now you turn on people who have the best interests of the community projects, the good people like Trev, the people who piled money in, the members and so on at heart, people who actually have something about them and ask questions that need to be asked, because they ask you nicely to try to stop saying a few playground words to ensure this thread isn't pulled?

MK I'm with you mate, I'm done, I'm out, I don't need this in my life I was just trying to look out for Trev and the others who have been let down immensely by all this.

My decision to step away from any involvement moving forward is simply an acceptance that a day has only so many hours, that my approach to doing stuff isn't best suited to these type of entities and a personal issue that my actions re wtid have been a bit below the standards i set myself. These sort of threads just bring stuff to a conclusion in my head that i had been mulling over for a few weeks

Btw Trev apologies if my posts caused you concern about your fund raising efforts. I still think more by luck than judgement that there is no issue

no apologies needed mkowl mate I think we all were a tad worried in some aspect that the funds could possibly be frozen, thankfully Paul has eased my mind my friend ,questions needed asking and answers have been posted so all in all it's been a fruitfull thread in a round about way ,

NOW can I suggest everybody gives it - rest til the matter is resolved with the legal people (not sure but that's either the 3rd or 4th time I've suggested it)

And people are ignoring you because you are not sole arbiter of what is important to others, or what others wish to discuss and debate. Indeed, your insistence on telling everybody this, to some observers and contributors, possibly looks like the former chairman, at the time of the issue coming to light, trying to sweep things under the carpet; as can possibly be accused of the issues themselves when they first came to light...

I still think there are valid and pertinent questions to be answered, personally.

Actually, I've just found a copy of the terms and conditions of the Car Park by the printer who did the tickets. You can see from this the 'the Company' is stated as 'Wednesdayite' and not The Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Society Limited trading as Wednesdayite (and believe me, knowing the guy responsible it would have if it should have!!)

I will try and post it

So, if you had have actually connected with blue goggles in that car park the owner of that site would have had to pay him compensation?

After I posted last night I had a few people view my profile (grandad, a couple of mods and 1 other). Don't know if you found what you were looking for lads? bit sad really but hey ho.

Now, I know it was suggested that I had an agenda (which it seems anyone who doesn't follow the herd gets accused of) but the fact is I really don't.

I don't know anyone who is either a current or previous board member of W/ite. Tbh I don't know ANYONE on here in "real life" (not knowingly anyway)

The reason I posted was to try and counterbalance some of the (shall we say) "spin" that almost always seems to appear in the these threads.

Grandad named 3 ex chairmen who were in position at the time the accounts weren't filed which (personally) I felt was a bit below the belt but thats by the by. (And fwiw if the post had been by someone else and one of the chairmen named had been grandad then I would have felt exactly the same way)

Because the fact of the matter as I see it is this. Chairmen in most organisations/companies are really just a figurehead. Someone who "chairs" meetings and may have to cast a deciding vote at a board meeting etc etc. However he will have a group of directors reporting into him who are responsible for various areas/ departments within said organisation/company.

Now, it seems to me (on Owlstalk) that if a grudge is held against certain indivituals then the are fair game to be named but if you're mates with someone then no matter what they may have done they have to be defended. (Or at the very least not blamed for anything)

As I've said above, I know no one involved in any of this clusterf*ck and therefore have no loyalties to anybody so I'm going to break ranks here and ask what I think most people are thinking but seem to be scared to say.

Paul Holmes is (and has been for some time from what I can gather on here) the Financial Director of Wednesdayite. If you look on the website it's even got his title next to a picture of him. He's also (from what I can gather on here) a qualified accountant in "real life".

So it's a simple enough question. As Financial Director of W/ite, why didn't the accounts get filed? For three years.

The worrying bit is that this lot once owned 10% of the football club. Similar to putting my 3 year old in the drivers seat of a Formula 1 car.

Absolutely bang on. Also, not mentioning using Trevs prints - to further raise money for worthy causes. Money which in lay terms, might now be sequestrated?

You couldn't make this stuff up. It really takes some believing.

Talk about giving someone a stick to beat you with.

Because the fact of the matter as I see it is this. Chairmen in most organisations/companies are really just a figurehead. Someone who "chairs" meetings and may have to cast a deciding vote at a board meeting etc etc. However he will have a group of directors reporting into him who are responsible for various areas/ departments within said organisation/company.

[...]

Paul Holmes is (and has been for some time from what I can gather on here) the Financial Director of Wednesdayite. If you look on the website it's even got his title next to a picture of him. He's also (from what I can gather on here) a qualified accountant in "real life".

So it's a simple enough question. As Financial Director of W/ite, why didn't the accounts get filed? For three years.

I'm sure you'll be aware of the role of Company Secretary too?

An FD can produce the reports, it is generally then the Secretary's responsibility to file them.

I am aware that accounts were indeed diligently drawn up (and voted on, and passed, at relevant AGMs, when the Society bothered to hold AGMs) by Paul.

What happened from there is the mystery.

The blame can't solely be at Paul's door for it, in my opinion.

Absolutely bang on. Also, not mentioning using Trevs prints - to further raise money for worthy causes. Money which in lay terms, might now be sequestrated?

You couldn't make this stuff up. It really takes some believing.

Talk about giving someone a stick to beat you with.

Tbf we have established Trev's money is safe but what this thread has made me realise is that fans should keep well out of running stuff when it is a secondary occupation. Despite the commendable good intentions folk lack the time or expertise to do things properly and i absolutely include myself in this

Who was/were the company secretaries during the 3 years the accounts weren't returned?

No company secretaries.

I'm sure you'll be aware of the role of Company Secretary too?

An FD can produce the reports, it is generally then the Secretary's responsibility to file them.

I am aware that accounts were indeed diligently drawn up (and voted on, and passed, at relevant AGMs, when the Society bothered to hold AGMs) by Paul.

What happened from there is the mystery.

The blame can't solely be at Paul's door for it, in my opinion.

Just for the record deejay I'm totally NOT blaming anyone for what happened. Hence why I asked the question. (as FD if anyone knows the answer it's him)

But the fact of the matter is that the accounts weren't filed for 3 years. Now whichever way anyone wants to spin it that was someones responsibilty.and someone (or maybe even more than one) failed in that responsibility.

It's alright coming out with the "they're volunteers, they've got day jobs line whenever they face any criticism etc etc (which I fully understand) but the fact of the matter is they are / have been directors of an organisation which has taken in tens of thousands of pounds of members money. With that goes responsibility.

If you're going to do it then do it properly. If you can't do it properly then don't take on the role in the first place let alone have the brass neck to call yourself a director.

Bottom line is you can't have it both ways.

As Vulva said, at one time W/ite owned 10% of this Football club. Had things been different they could have even had a "say" in the boardroom at S6 Knowing what we know now thats a scary thought.

No board member (past or present) comes out with any credit whatsoever from this.