General Meeting reminder

I haven't removed Birdonamaguire's posts as it would have been a right faff trying to remove all references to it as well.  Can everyone take them as an example of the kind of posts that are absolutely not acceptable and will result in a suspension if repeated.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought it was important to point this out.  Please carry on.

Just for the record deejay I'm totally NOT blaming anyone for what happened. Hence why I asked the question. (as FD if anyone knows the answer it's him)

But the fact of the matter is that the accounts weren't filed for 3 years. Now whichever way anyone wants to spin it that was someones responsibilty.and someone (or maybe even more than one) failed in that responsibility.

It's alright coming out with the "they're volunteers, they've got day jobs line whenever they face any criticism etc etc (which I fully understand) but the fact of the matter is they are / have been directors of an organisation which has taken in tens of thousands of pounds of members money. With that goes responsibility.

If you're going to do it then do it properly. If you can't do it properly then don't take on the role in the first place let alone have the brass neck to call yourself a director.

Bottom line is you can't have it both ways.

As Vulva said, at one time W/ite owned 10% of this Football club. Had things been different they could have even had a "say" in the boardroom at S6 Knowing what we know now thats a scary thought.

No board member (past or present) comes out with any credit whatsoever from this.

Regardless of mistakes made, given the furore that all this has caused and the level of acrimony on these boards, let alone the ridiculous statutory requirements they have to deal with it's a miracle that anyone at all would want to serve as a director of any supporters organisation these days.

As has already been mentioned  resignations will follow once the situation is clarified, but in addition it appears one of the leaders of the new SWSSC has already decided to call it a day before the organisation even gets off the ground. So pray tell who is going to be left to run any organisation to represent supporters interests after this all works itself out?

If we (by threads like this) hound everyone out of office, then it gives the club scope to ride roughshod over us even more so than they do now  and at that point we will have lost any right  (and ability)to complain about it.

Edited by Utah Owl

There isn't that much abuse now, now that your mates, mate - The Producer doesn't post.

You know 'The Producer'? He's the one that shares an ISPN with your mate.

Don't suggest the any criticisms are unfounded. Because they weren't and aren't.

Moderators have lost their status for less. That other bloke still hasn't come to see me on his push bike.

What a motley crew you all were.

To ask for decency now is a bit rich, frankly.

Guest Deleted member

Thanks for answering the questions you have done though Nigel, it is appreciated.

I'm deeply uncomfortable with the situation from start (FCA) to finish (Non communication to members, continuation of trading, etc). At the very least I think there has been a lack of clarity and people have been misled (albeit not necessarily on purpose).

Just one more question; Nigel (and any other current/former directors throughout history involved who may wish to answer any of the questions throughout the thread), are you totally comfortable with it all and confident the right things have been done since the FCA situation came to light?

I'll answer this now, given the clarification subsequently given.

I guess the quick answer is, no. Not totally comfortable. I regret that the information wasn't presented to the members sooner, and I take full responsibility for that. It was agreed at 2 separate Board meetings that an article would be presented to the members and for a number of (actually very good) reasons this never transpired. As things moved on, things began to turn nasty, my focus moved onto other matters and I guess, if I'm completely honest, it was forgotten.

I will hold my hands up and apologise for that here and now.

To re-iterate I am relinquishing my role because of a realisation that I don't have the available time to do it properly. I still believe that a well run Supporters Club is a great idea but it needs full commitment and i have to be honest to myself and everyone else that I just can't give this. Its as much about available head space and with running my own business there isn't much capacity left. The downside of Supporters Groups is that your audience is about 10 times more difficult to deal with than any of my clients and unlike in business if they don't like you or what you do you don't deal with them

The basic SWSC structure is set up as i wanted as a non political entity and i can leave it for someone to take on the baton

Apply here

I guess the quick answer is, no. Not totally comfortable. I regret that the information wasn't presented to the members sooner, and I take full responsibility for that. It was agreed at 2 separate Board meetings that an article would be presented to the members and for a number of (actually very good) reasons this never transpired. As things moved on, things began to turn nasty, my focus moved onto other matters and I guess, if I'm completely honest, it was forgotten.

You have explained to me the reason for the initial delay and for those questioning things can i re-assure you there is a valid explanation, but its not our call to put this on a public forum.

You have probably hit the nail on the head though that the internal politics of Wednesdayite become all consuming and detracted from actually running the entity

Hope no one minds me posting on this thread, i have been following it closely these last few days.

I work as a Management Accountant at a local NHS Trust, we have in our office a brochure from The Civil Society, (civilsociety.co.uk), it's their September edition of their brochure Charity Finance, also details of a Charity Finance Summit on the 07.10.14. Not sure if its any use to anyone at Wednesdayite or SWSC but happy to post out if anyone would like a read.          

Guest Deleted member

Trev , you know the amount of time and effort we have all put into the posters and what worthwhile work itr has been,

First helping smile . then you and Di and then more lately ICO, as you know wednesdayite have not taken a penny out of the funds for time spent or other resourses used, In fact for the ICO one it cost me a fair bit personally for the postage for one's where people were generous enough to donate over £20.

I would kjust like to confirm all the proceeds from the iCO poster and the auction of the owl have been passed to his partner.

Apologies, accidentally negged as I intended to plus this point.

Ref MK's question re how many knew ref the change of status to 'deregistered' - all board members knew as it was discussed in the board meetings at length

There is a role going at Swsc if you want to take it on Webbo. I actually think it would be a huge benefit if new folk took this on - clean slate, different outlook, new ideas

There isn't that much abuse now, now that your mates, mate - The Producer doesn't post.

You know 'The Producer'? He's the one that shares an ISPN with your mate.

Don't suggest the any criticisms are unfounded. Because they weren't and aren't.

Moderators have lost their status for less. That other bloke still hasn't come to see me on his push bike.

What a motley crew you all were.

To ask for decency now is a bit rich, frankly.

Not much abuse? Have you even read pages 11-13 as an example?

As for the Producer he has already been identified and he is not Daryll Keys.

I am not for one minute suggesting the criticisms are unfounded, because they aren't. If you have read the thread you will know that. Some very serious questions need to be asked, but as I stated these people are volunteers, and the abuse being directed their way means it is unlikely that ANYONE will want to stand again, not just the current directors, but any potential replacements.

Look I know we don't see eye to eye but serious question, is that what you want, no supporters organisation at all? Right now that is starting to look the likely outcome.

Actually, this is the crux of the matter now.

I understand and sympathise with Paul's reasons for not publishing the article on the website. But there was more than Paul on the board. When it transpired he wouldn't be able to do it in a reasonable timeframe then someone else should have taken that workload from him, as a duty to the members. It has taken 18 months for most to find out, and, I would suggest that most still aren't fully aware what happened and how the society continued.

It's not as if it is a circular to be posted to the website about the latest coach travel or the availability of the bar for that week's matches. It is a fundamental change to the society, its governance and its rules (which would surely have to be updated to reflect the fact that it was no longer an IPS, something which apparently remained as fundamental part of the rules up to July of this year!).

Everything that is happening now, advising people, taking a vote, the formation of the newco, etc, should have happened AS SOON AS the issue came to light.

I would have thought it would be a massive, number one, priority to inform members, who are technically shareholders of the society, of the fact that the society had been deregistered as an IPS, and formulate an urgent plan of how it would be continuing. I personally don't see how the society could continue as-was without informing people of the changes, with them being so fundamental to the basis of the society. It doesn't sit right with me.

It is interesting that throughout that time, Wednesdayite were still updating the website, still advising about the latest coach travel, still telling people that the bar was available for such-and-such a match, still publishing blogs, still sending a weekly email to members, for god's sake!

My earlier questions about the whole thing still haven't been answered, still stand and are important, in my view.

Apologies, accidentally negged as I intended to plus this point.

Ref MK's question re how many knew ref the change of status to 'deregistered' - all board members knew as it was discussed in the board meetings at length

The issue is that something so fundamental should have been communicated to the members and failure to do so means the folk responsible remained unaccountable at the time. It does seem a bit like trying to brush under the carpet. Whereas my stance is you admit your error, take the flak but no doubt after a couple of weeks it would have been business as usual.

If the company could continue, then fair enough. However:

1) Is this the case? Did Wednesdayite obtain legal advice about continuing?

2) Under what legal structure did it continue, if it did?

3) Should members have been notified?

4) Should Companies House have been informed? Was it? (Companies House still lists it as a IPS, apparently)

5) Should Sheffield Wednesday Supporters' Society Limited have submitted accounts to Companies house by now if they transferred legal structure?

6) If the company could, and did, continue, why has a new company now been formed?

7) Were people signing up or buying services for the 2013/14 season aware they were no longer paying into an IPS? Should they have been made aware of such a fundamental change?

8) Why did Wednesdayite still seemingly have the 'old' IPS Society Rules on its website as late as 27 July 2014, when it hadn't been an IPS and directors had been aware of that for at least 18 months?

9) Were existing agreements (i.e. leases, insurances, contracts, etc) affected, changed or nullified by the change of structure?

10) Were memberships actually valid during 2013/14 (and the remainder of the 2012/13 season from notification of deregulation)? Under what structure and rules? Were members aware of this and any changes?

Some of the questions from earlier, for ease of finding them (there are more throughout the thread).

Guest Steve French

Were Jim Harrison, Paul Potts and David Blunkett made aware as Patrons and Honorary President, respectively?

I can partly answer that.

Blunkett wasn't, because I spoke to him about it the other day and he knew absolutely nothing about any of this. I went to ask him if he could step in to give legal advice and ensure that the money wasn't lost (before I get accused of having a motive) because whilst I may be critical of the situation I care deeply about my club, the community and the hard working people who raised money. Rather than just hope for the best i thought it a good idea to seek out the opinion and potential help of a patron who knows more than most about a thing or two. Not my place to do so, true, but I'm a proactive person and I've got a nice tin helmet on.

He wasn't aware of IPS status change, of the months of continuation under the old co identity (or of seeking legal advice to do so) nor of what transpired at the AGM or the recent transition to the new co, because there has been nobody from the directors who thought it necessary to inform a very public figure who was connected to the organisation of any of it.

I can partly answer that.

Blunkett wasn't, because I spoke to him about it the other day and he knew absolutely nothing about any of this. I went to ask him if he could step in to give legal advice and ensure that the money wasn't lost (before I get accused of having a motive) because whilst I may be critical of the situation I care deeply about my club, the community and the hard working people who raised money. Rather than just hope for the best i thought it a good idea to seek out the opinion and potential help of a patron who knows more than most about a thing or two. Not my place to do so, true, but I'm a proactive person and I've got a nice tin helmet on.

He wasn't aware of IPS status change, of the months of continuation under the old co identity (or of seeking legal advice to do so) nor of what transpired at the AGM or the recent transition to the new co, because there has been nobody from the directors who thought it necessary to inform a very public figure who was connected to the organisation of any of it.

Wow.

You really are his pooch!

Guest Deleted member

Not much abuse? Have you even read pages 11-13 as an example?

I am not for one minute suggesting the criticisms are unfounded, because they aren't. If you have read the thread you will know that. Some very serious questions need to be asked, but as I stated these people are volunteers, and the abuse being directed their way means it is unlikely that ANYONE will want to stand again, not just the current directors, but any potential replacements.

Look I know we don't see eye to eye but serious question, is that what you want, no supporters organisation at all? Right now that is starting to look the likely outcome.

With respect - had you taken that view, along with the Producer, Johnbloodaxe, Daz, phshaw amongst others 12 months ago the Society wouldn't have just 3 active directors just now.

Really? Although no one has ever identified him - but he just happens to post from the same Florida address?

I prefer to make my own assumptions, personally - unless shown otherwise.

And, furthermore, whilst he was posting on here, abusing, making personal attacks and baiting people under the guise of anonymity, your 'mate' did absolutely nothing. Other than to plus him and continue to allow him access to his free internet.

Mind, he was posting on behalf of the cohort, once things were getting desperate - a group of which you were an active member.

Thank goodness your Mod has gone too.

You giving lectures on manners is a bit rich for me.

And, then we find 'you' are sat on a pot of £30,000?

You couldn't make this stuff up.