Great read ...

Sam Hutchinson relishing life at Sheffield Wednesday after Chelsea injury nightmare

• Defender stopped playing football in 2010 after serious knee problem
  • Hutchinson's dreams were 'shattered' as he endured some 'dark times'
  • Owls offered him chance to kick-start his career after impressive loan 

By SIMON JONES

PUBLISHED: 23:47, 7 August 2014 UPDATED: 01:09, 8 August 2014

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
9shares

View comments

The trouble with footballers is they don't know how lucky they are. It's a common criticism. We've all heard it, we've all probably thought it.

Well Sam Hutchinson knows exactly how lucky he is and reminds himself every day. A defender of considerable promise at Chelsea, Hutchinson was hailed as the 'new John Terry'; stylish, committed and English.

He had been at Chelsea since the age of seven. Injuries, particularly to his knees, were a consequence of his commitment. He played for under age sides, youth team, reserves, England U18s, England U19s, Chelsea's first team, Carlo Ancelotti purred about his potential. Then, on April 25 2010, after playing a part in Chelsea's 7-0 win over Stoke City, he could barely walk to his car. 

1407450272461_wps_2_SHEFFIELD_ENGLAND_JU

+7

Born again: Sam Hutchinson, who suffered serious knee problems, in action against Newcastle in a friendly

Hutchinson winces as he recalls the moment: 'I sat there in the car park. I couldn't walk, my whole body was in pain, not just my knees. 

'I finished the season, had a rest, then went back for pre-season and, after the second day, my knee was really, really sore. I felt so low it just didn't seem worth it.'

Hutchinson had been on a cycle of playing, picking up injuries, operations, going through rehab, taking medication. He had a degenerative knee condition and took the decision to stop playing at just 21.

'At first it was a huge relief,' he says. 'The pain and frustration had been getting me down. I was so happy, I'd go out with friends, play golf, watch a bit of rugby, I went to Leicester Tigers. I just did things I hadn't had the chance to. I did commentary for Chelsea TV, I loved talking about it but didn't miss playing.

1407450565502_wps_5_LONDON_MAY_13_Sam_Hu

+7

Early promise: Hutchinson broke into the Chelsea first-team squad as a teenager

1407450842404_Image_galleryImage_Chelsea

+7

Blues brothers: John Terry (centre) checked up on Hutchinson's welfare

'Then the dust settled and it hit me. Everything I'd been programmed to do since I was seven had gone. My dream was shattered.

'I fell into some really dark times. My family tried to speak to me, John Terry and Ashley Cole would ask how I was doing but I didn't want to let anyone in. The only one that could calm me down was Jennifer, my girlfriend. I was struggling to sleep and ended up talking to people for advice.'

Chelsea had kept in touch, notably academy coach Neil Bath who asked Hutchinson to mentor other prospects at the academy.

'Chelsea were brilliant to me. I enjoyed helping the kids coming through, people like Todd Kane, and giving them advice. I never wanted to go into coaching but I felt the advice wasn't always there for everyone.'

After a few months of hanging around Chelsea's Cobham training ground complex, it was long-term friend Ryan Bertrand who pushed Hutchinson into having another crack at playing again.  

1407450911563_wps_9_Accra_GHANA_English_

+7

Mentor: A young Hutchinon (left) received advice from academy coach Neil Bath (centre) 

1407450708419_wps_6_Ryan_Bertrand_of_Che

+7

Helping hand: Former Chelsea team-mate Ryan Betrand persuaded Hutchinson to pull his boots back on

Initially, he dismissed the notion but recognised his pain had subsided. He had maintained his fitness so discussed it with Chelsea's doctors Bryan English and Eva Carneiro who encouraged him to try. 

'Darren Campbell the Olympic sprinter had been in doing sessions with Andriy Shevchenko and they suggested I try working with him to see how I coped. It all just clicked into place. As soon as I put my boots on again it just felt right and there wasn't much pain.' 

Hutchinson's young body had reached saturation point, the enforced rest had proved a blessing and his recovery was set.

'As a kid you don't say ''no'' if someone asks you to play but, looking back, I was doing too much and it took its toll on my body,' says Hutchinson. 'I think Chelsea learned from me and if my experience helps protect others then I'm happy to have made the sacrifice.'

The fairytale return followed when Hutchinson came on as a substitute for Jose Bosingwa in a 6-1 win over QPR on April 29, 2012. Two years after he had struggled to walk across the car park, he ran out at Stamford Bridge to a standing ovation, one that saluted the magnitude of his recovery.

1407451032844_Image_galleryImage_Sheffie

+7

Committed to the cause: Hutchinson has signed a permanent deal with the Owls after impressing on loan

'It was fantastic, so special,' says Hutchinson. 'I was in the moment but I know my family, especially my dad Eddie, who has been to every game, were ecstatic. I could have played before then but it had been such a strange season with Andre Villas-Boas going then Roberto di Matteo coming in.'

It got even stranger as Hutchinson was in the party that travelled to Munich for the victorious Champions League final. Although he didn't get a medal; 'I didn't deserve one', he did get a specially made ring from Didier Drogba.

Fond and sentimental memories though they are, Hutchinson decided a move would best serve his healing process. Sheffield Wednesday asked to take him on loan last season and when the opportunity came in May to join on a permanent deal, he didn't think twice.

'It's a huge club with a great fanbase. They were good to ask for me last year when maybe others wouldn't and I wanted to repay that faith. I had interest from Premier League clubs but the manager Stuart Gray was a huge factor for me. 

1407451266172_Image_galleryImage_Sheffie

+7

Payback time: Hutchinson is keen to repay the faith of Wednesday boss Stuart Gray

'He lets me judge my body. It's about managing your situation. He has done the same with Chris Kirkland. Our responsibility is to be fit enough to play and he trusts us.

'I train every day more or less. I have the odd day off and may do swimming instead but he understands the type of player I am. Now I seem to have the right balance, I've no niggles, touch wood.'

So how does he react to other players moaning and groaning now in training? 'It makes me giggle,' he says. 'I still moan too but really I've never appreciated something so much in my life. I feel like a child again with the new season coming. The old adage is you never appreciate something until you've lost it and what happened to me hurt so bad, everything in life is special to me now.

'I'm so fortunate to be in this place, I love doing what I'm doing. I just want to savour everything now because it can go just like that.'

Hutchinson, now 25, has since married girlfriend Jennifer, the woman he describes as his 'rock' and has settled into a new home just outside Sheffield, in Whirlow, 'near a farm'. They have baby daughter Mila-Evy for company and another young addition to the family is due in October.

It's a new beginning in more ways than one for the Hutchinson family.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2719450/Sam-Hutchinson-relishing-life-Sheffield-Wednesday-Chelsea-injury-nightmare.html#ixzz39lC8ri2c 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sam Hutchinson relishing life at Sheffield Wednesday after Chelsea injury nightmare

By SIMON JONES

PUBLISHED: 22:47 GMT, 7 August 2014 UPDATED: 00:09 GMT, 8 August 2014

•  
9shares

View comments

The trouble with footballers is they don't know how lucky they are. It's a common criticism. We've all heard it, we've all probably thought it.

Well Sam Hutchinson knows exactly how lucky he is and reminds himself every day. A defender of considerable promise at Chelsea, Hutchinson was hailed as the 'new John Terry'; stylish, committed and English.

He had been at Chelsea since the age of seven. Injuries, particularly to his knees, were a consequence of his commitment. He played for under age sides, youth team, reserves, England U18s, England U19s, Chelsea's first team, Carlo Ancelotti purred about his potential. Then, on April 25 2010, after playing a part in Chelsea's 7-0 win over Stoke City, he could barely walk to his car. 

+7

Born again: Sam Hutchinson, who suffered serious knee problems, in action against Newcastle in a friendly

Hutchinson winces as he recalls the moment: 'I sat there in the car park. I couldn't walk, my whole body was in pain, not just my knees. 

'I finished the season, had a rest, then went back for pre-season and, after the second day, my knee was really, really sore. I felt so low it just didn't seem worth it.'

Hutchinson had been on a cycle of playing, picking up injuries, operations, going through rehab, taking medication. He had a degenerative knee condition and took the decision to stop playing at just 21.

'At first it was a huge relief,' he says. 'The pain and frustration had been getting me down. I was so happy, I'd go out with friends, play golf, watch a bit of rugby, I went to Leicester Tigers. I just did things I hadn't had the chance to. I did commentary for Chelsea TV, I loved talking about it but didn't miss playing.

+7

+7

'Then the dust settled and it hit me. Everything I'd been programmed to do since I was seven had gone. My dream was shattered.

'I fell into some really dark times. My family tried to speak to me, John Terry and Ashley Cole would ask how I was doing but I didn't want to let anyone in. The only one that could calm me down was Jennifer, my girlfriend. I was struggling to sleep and ended up talking to people for advice.'

Chelsea had kept in touch, notably academy coach Neil Bath who asked Hutchinson to mentor other prospects at the academy.

'Chelsea were brilliant to me. I enjoyed helping the kids coming through, people like Todd Kane, and giving them advice. I never wanted to go into coaching but I felt the advice wasn't always there for everyone.'

After a few months of hanging around Chelsea's Cobham training ground complex, it was long-term friend Ryan Bertrand who pushed Hutchinson into having another crack at playing again.  

+7

Mentor: A young Hutchinon (left) received advice from academy coach Neil Bath (centre) 

+7

Helping hand: Former Chelsea team-mate Ryan Betrand persuaded Hutchinson to pull his boots back on

Initially, he dismissed the notion but recognised his pain had subsided. He had maintained his fitness so discussed it with Chelsea's doctors Bryan English and Eva Carneiro who encouraged him to try. 

'Darren Campbell the Olympic sprinter had been in doing sessions with Andriy Shevchenko and they suggested I try working with him to see how I coped. It all just clicked into place. As soon as I put my boots on again it just felt right and there wasn't much pain.' 

Hutchinson's young body had reached saturation point, the enforced rest had proved a blessing and his recovery was set.

'As a kid you don't say ''no'' if someone asks you to play but, looking back, I was doing too much and it took its toll on my body,' says Hutchinson. 'I think Chelsea learned from me and if my experience helps protect others then I'm happy to have made the sacrifice.'

The fairytale return followed when Hutchinson came on as a substitute for Jose Bosingwa in a 6-1 win over QPR on April 29, 2012. Two years after he had struggled to walk across the car park, he ran out at Stamford Bridge to a standing ovation, one that saluted the magnitude of his recovery.

+7

Committed to the cause: Hutchinson has signed a permanent deal with the Owls after impressing on loan

'It was fantastic, so special,' says Hutchinson. 'I was in the moment but I know my family, especially my dad Eddie, who has been to every game, were ecstatic. I could have played before then but it had been such a strange season with Andre Villas-Boas going then Roberto di Matteo coming in.'

It got even stranger as Hutchinson was in the party that travelled to Munich for the victorious Champions League final. Although he didn't get a medal; 'I didn't deserve one', he did get a specially made ring from Didier Drogba.

Fond and sentimental memories though they are, Hutchinson decided a move would best serve his healing process. Sheffield Wednesday asked to take him on loan last season and when the opportunity came in May to join on a permanent deal, he didn't think twice.

'It's a huge club with a great fanbase. They were good to ask for me last year when maybe others wouldn't and I wanted to repay that faith. I had interest from Premier League clubs but the manager Stuart Gray was a huge factor for me. 

+7

Payback time: Hutchinson is keen to repay the faith of Wednesday boss Stuart Gray

'He lets me judge my body. It's about managing your situation. He has done the same with Chris Kirkland. Our responsibility is to be fit enough to play and he trusts us.

'I train every day more or less. I have the odd day off and may do swimming instead but he understands the type of player I am. Now I seem to have the right balance, I've no niggles, touch wood.'

So how does he react to other players moaning and groaning now in training? 'It makes me giggle,' he says. 'I still moan too but really I've never appreciated something so much in my life. I feel like a child again with the new season coming. The old adage is you never appreciate something until you've lost it and what happened to me hurt so bad, everything in life is special to me now.

'I'm so fortunate to be in this place, I love doing what I'm doing. I just want to savour everything now because it can go just like that.'

Hutchinson, now 25, has since married girlfriend Jennifer, the woman he describes as his 'rock' and has settled into a new home just outside Sheffield, in Whirlow, 'near a farm'. They have baby daughter Mila-Evy for company and another young addition to the family is due in October.

Really hope Hutchinson can stay fit ...

He seems to have a great head on his shoulders and deserves to have a successful few years ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2719450/Sam-Hutchinson-relishing-life-Sheffield-Wednesday-Chelsea-injury-nightmare.html

Thanks Glaser, - great to know we can get lads like this, sounds like everyone loves our Stew.

Potential captain if he stays injury free? I think so.

Would be a great shout. How inspiring he "could" be to the kids as well with his attitude. I just pray he knees can now hold up as he can clearly become one of the leagues best players if so.

Ancelotti knows a player when he sees one

By SIMON JONES

PUBLISHED: 22:47 GMT, 7 August 2014 UPDATED: 00:09 GMT, 8 August 2014

•  
9shares

View comments

+7

+7

+7

+7

+7

+7

+7

A true gent, a working man, an honour to have him at S6. Not about money, about doing what he loves. Will be a hero at S6 after that speech. Best of luck mate and thankyou for showing loyalty over money. Oh and hope your next is a son and goes on to play for us. And Jennifer thankyou for being there for him and your guidance. 

good player crap read

Proch ? sorry WHY he gave an insight to himself as a person, gave up BUT followed advise, came good again, came to us on loan, appreciated the chance, succeeded, had other offers and chose us. GREAT read IMO

Edited by Zlin Owl

Fantastic read, seems he has his feet firmly on the ground and appreciates the opportunity he has. Also seems very mature for his age, probably due to what he has experienced during his career. Think he will have a fantastic season if he stays fit and love to see a player play with his heart on his sleeve.