Nuhiu goals

Oh I get it you think he was our biggest threat just because he scored.

I love that 13 year old mentality.

That's not my point

However, as you pointed out, if you look at the stats he was our biggest goal threat because he scored our only goal - FACT

But actually he was our biggest goal threat even without the goal.

I thought he looked great the first month when confident, was really unlucky not to score vs Millwall and Burnley where he hit the woodwork and made the keeper save a couple.

It did get a bit turgid for him around the new year but I think he's shown signs of adapting since then.

Guest Fedor

That's not my point

However, as you pointed out, if you look at the stats he was our biggest goal threat because he scored our only goal - FACT

But actually he was our biggest goal threat even without the goal.

You're not the brightest are you?

The only forward players who can be relied on for goals this season are the three loanees Best, Wickham and Fryatt. All the others have played their part, making significant contributions in various games. Hopefully they can push on next season but we cannot risk waiting to see if this happens. If the likes of Nuhiu, Madine and Lavery can, next season, mount a strong challenge to whoever we manage to bring in, then we may at last have a proper pool of strikers.

Why do we have to accept mediocrity?

Look at Barnsley's front line - miles better than ours.

Our main weakness is up front. With a good striker we flourish (ala Wickham). Our struggles this season have been not finishing teams off and missing glaring chances.

No more excuses. We have a good team but are really lacking up front. Spend a bit of money on some decent strikers next term and we've got a team that with a good start and supplemented by some loanees can finish top half.

I've said we need at at least two new strikers. But we could with 4/5 strikers in our full squad to choose from.

Now when money is tight and we're going to be spending quite a bit of the budget on strikers better than the ones we've got, then we can only bring in/replace certain players.

There is no way we can strengthen our squad in all the key areas we need too and bring in a completely new batch of strikers as well.

If we sign two new strikers, plus keep Nuhiu, Lavery & Madine. That will hopefully give us more scope to strengthen in other key area (particularly CM, CB & wide players) and will also provide the head coach with various options have I mentioned previously.

Nuhiu is a decent player at this level, who need to score more goals. If he can get anywhere near double figures next year playing 3rd/4th choice, while contributing to team wins then that's fine by me. He's already shown he can contribute & play a key role in good winning team performances.

Edited by BRADDAZ

Guest Fedor

Go on the feds.. enlighten me with your ever growing football wisdom

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Why are people trying to reason with Fedor?

The guy's a WUM and couldn't spot a half decent footballer if they were stood right in front of him

Just played you like a fiddle.

I don't enjoy slating the lad because he does work hard and does try his best. But that is the minimum I would expect of any player.

Personally I think hoping that he'll get even 10 goals a season is deluded. If he gets 6 next season I'd be amazed. If he does, then great, I'll be happy for the lad because ultimately all I'm bothered about is that Wednesday win, not who scores the goals.

But why oh why do people insist on saying "play him with a nippy goal scorer and he'll be ok"?!? Is that really good enough? I don't think so personally. Look at Leicester with Nugent and Vardy. Vardy has 15 goals and Nugent 20 this season. That's a proper partnership. Not Nugent with 4 and then Vardy with 15. And that's why they're top of the league and if we have any ambition of getting even close to the top 6 we need TWO strikers who are going to break double figures.

Top and bottom of t is that with his lack of pace, unless you've got Beckham pinging balls at him chances are he's not even going to get anywhere near most of the balls that come his way.

This.

If were EVER going to progress up the league and challenge for promotion it won't be with Nuhiu as our main striker.

I don't dislike him as he does obviously care and gives everything he has, but that is the minimum I expect. He's just not good enough when it comes to goals and it puts pressure on the rest of the team when we have one striker on the field who just doesn't score.

I wouldn't be sorry to see him go if we could get rid in the summer, but no one will want him so were stuck with him for another 2 years. But if were starting next season with Nuhiu as our main striker then god help us.

be all and end all as good as he is /is'nt goals make the points ,can we afford to play someone who very rarely scores , a decent goalscorer could be the difference for us,can he provide that scenario , tbh I don't think he can , hopefully I get proved wrong but that's my two pence worth

Guest JonTheOwl66

I've said we need at at least two new strikers. But we could with 4/5 strikers in our full squad to choose from.

Now when money is tight and we're going to be spending quite a bit of the budget on strikers better than the ones we've got, then we can only bring in/replace certain players.

There is no way we can strengthen our squad in all the key areas we need too and bring in a completely new batch of strikers as well.

If we sign two new strikers, plus keep Nuhiu, Lavery & Madine. That will hopefully give us more scope to strengthen in other key area (particularly CM, CB & wide players) and will also provide the head coach with various options have I mentioned previously.

Nuhiu is a decent player at this level, who need to score more goals. If he can get anywhere near double figures next year playing 3rd/4th choice, while contributing to team wins then that's fine by me. He's already shown he can contribute & play a key role in good winning team performances.

My point is we don't need to spend anything on improving the rest of the squad - aside from a few loans.

Shift some of the out of contract players to free up some wages, spend a bit of money on sensible loans that will improve the squad (not crap like Afobe) and try to stretch the budget enough to spend a bit on bringing two quality strikers in.

Fairly simple. We will need a replacement for Onyewu. Resign Kirkland. Get Lee tied up to a longer contract.

Let players like Reda, JJ, Prutton etc move on. Maybe take a look at whos out of contract from elsewhere, like Treacy.

If our money set aside for fees is put on any position other than up front I despair. I really do.

We've been completely lacking for years up there. Relying on loans and so on that when they leave end up making us suffer is not the right thing to do.

Back to the matter in hand - if we want to improve Nuhiu should not play for us next season. Simple as that. He isn't good enough to take us forward.

Which according to you among others is what Mandaric is doing for us. Assuming we finish about 15th this year, next year's target should be top half.

Nuhiu isn't good enough to get us the goals to fire us up there. I'm sorry, maybe I'm just a traditional person football wise - but I want my strikers to score.

Look at Wickham, look at Fryatt, look at Best. All come in and scored goals.

Best has almost matched Nuhius tally in a third as many games.

He just isn't good enough - and the only reason he plays for us is that we have nobody else to play up front.

I don't like slagging our players off funnily enough. Confident players are good players and berating them isn't going to bring out the best in them.

But Nuhiu has had the fans backing all season and not done enough.

I understand his role in the team as the 'link' guy in the team between midfield and up front.

I understand that technically he's fairly good. He's got decent close control, but his vision and physique utterly ruin this aspect of him.

He doesnt get his head up. He doesn't ccommunicate with his team-mates (how often does he try to tackle our own players?!). He doesn't provide a goal threat. His movement is utterly woeful. He's slow and cumbersome. He's not strong. He's not good in the air. He can't hold it up. He cant run at defenders.

What exactly IS he good at? Oh yeah I guess he runs about a bit.

Simply not good enough. He's done a job for us in our poor patch this year. But if he isn't replaced then I truly despair.

he won't be replaced.

whether we sign two strikers and he can't get a game is a different matter though.

Happy for him to be part of the squad. Think we might see two new strikers brought in and maybe another on a season long loan. That way, we could get Madine and Lavery out on loan getting regular games, which is gonna be better for their career

Guest JonTheOwl66

he won't be replaced.

whether we sign two strikers and he can't get a game is a different matter though.

That's what I mean

He won't leave cos nobody will take him off our hands