Jones got it so wrong !

Guest james.taylor1982

Well done on plussing youself

You must really love your own posts

I'm not a "DJ apologist" - i'm a Wednesday fan that firstly wants us to stay up and secondly wants us to be a strong, competitive club going forward.

I've seen many, many years of us staggering from one crisis to the next and our "answer" has always been to swing the axe

It doesn't work UNLESS there is some strategy and plan

Sadly most fans don't want a manager sacked for any other reason than punishment for results

Give a reasoned account of where to go next and i'm all ears - very few people have any idea beyond the next game thouyg

If we go down DJ should walk - take responsibility full stop. If we stay up he should sit down with MM and explain why we will not be in this position again.  Going into the last game with relegation a real possibility is simply not good enough. If MM is happy with DJ's plans then, fingers crossed, all well and good - if he isn't then it's bye bye.

This season has been awful - terrible runs of defeats and terrible football. We end it with a real danger of going down and a team packed with loanees.  That's enough for fans to question wtf is going on. 

I don't buy fans having to specify who the next manager should be. We aren't football insiders. There will be plenty of coaches/managers who seem to be ready to take the next step. Some will be right some will be wrong. Which fan would have identified Roberto Martinez or Brendan Rogers when they first got the chance to step up? How many Arsenal fans were clamouring for Arsene Wenger? Just like some really successful players have been unknowns to fans - Gary Shelton, Gary Bannister, Brian Marwood, Nigel Pearson, Chris Brunt and Glen Whelan to name but a few. It's the job of the people who run the club to identify coaches, managers and players. They work in football and are privy to more info than we have.

If Jones can't do the job then he has to go. Even if budget is a huge problem that's no reason to keep him.  If he can't take us forward on our budget we have to try and find someone who can. If your budget calls for Harry Bassett rather than Jose Mourinho then Bassett is the one you should go for until you're in a position to go to the next level with a different sort of manager.

If we stay up Jones has earned the right to explain how and why next season will be be better than this season. If MM is happy with his plans then I suppose we try again next season. But this season, overall, has been painful. You can say we've done well in 2013 but I don't honestly think that improvement has been built on anything like progressive exciting football that will see us in good stead for next season. We've been grinding results out. Another few years of that sort of mediocrity doesn't fill me with joy.

I disagree James my friend

I don't think we are dreadful - i think we are victim of horrific circumstances

One is that the division is almost comical in how many points are needed for safety and the other is how we could easily have several extra points were it not for lamentable luck with injuries and some pretty awful refs decisions not going our way

Sadly, not many seem prepared to give DJ any latitude at all regarding the slings and arrows of outrageous foobtall fortunes

'We are victim of horrific circumstances' - Really, just us?

'Lamentable luck with injuries' - Give over.

'Some pretty awful refs decisions not going our way'    We've had quite a few that have gone our way.

Do us a favour!  That's losing-manager speak.   Victims? Yes, of some pretty lame excuses.

Name me another club that hasn't had to cope with a few injuries over the course of a season?

Name me another club that hasn't had a few decisions go against them?

And of course, you agree - 'Every club has to deal with the slings and arrows of outrageous football fortunes' - very true, it's just that some have been better dealing with them than others.

I'd say losing the 3 best, in-form players at the same time to injury was lamentable luck - can you think of a rival that has suffered similarly? If you think it isn't bad luck then fine - we'll agree to disagree

I'd also say that some decisions recently such as the Lita offside "goal" have had a direct bearing on us not already being safe and looking the fabled "midtable" with a win on saturday,

It was unfortunate and beyond our control that Sunderland sacked their manager and the new manager decided to use Connor Wickham just as he was looking the player he had been reputed to be.

It was unfortunate that other potential deals fell through such as Kevin Davies which left us recruiting a player from the division below who was obviously not really on our radar ideally.

I'm just surprised how easily and readily some people dismiss some very pertinent events that have markedly affected our recent form. 

Scram is absolutely bossing this thread.

Some people can't see the elephant in the room. They sincerely believe that, like a chess player, a manager can dictate how the game goes by making pro-active moves that all but guarantee the outcome you want. 

I still believe that a lot (by no means all, because there is more than enough to reasonably complain about) of negative reaction by fans is no more complex or substantial than a toddler throwing a tantrum in psychological terms.

DJ is absolutely right. People forget how many variables there are in football and assume it is all down to a manager/player doing/not doing something. It is not Football Manager, you know. 

I'm just surprised how easily and readily some people dismiss some very pertinent events that have markedly affected our recent form. 

Because it's easier to rant and rave like a spoilt child.....

The same people will be on the pitch next week spinning their tiny c0cks round on the pitch after we've avoided relegation.

There's no question that Dave Jones AND the players did everything wrong for the Peterborough game.  Whatever preparation, tactics, pre-match rituals, motivation etc was used, it clearly didn't work from anybody.  

DJ, being the manager of a group of football players, should ultimately be held responsible for that shocking performance.

I have been a big critic of his earlier this season but, we need to honestly asses how we've performed (and the results we've achieved) since that losing streak.  I think we've shown we are capable of being a mid-table side with players such as Lita, Olofinjana & Helan.  DJ has made some bad decision, which may costs us our status in the Championship, but ultimately I think the choices he made have improved us as a footballing team.

DJ SHOULD be given the entirety of next season to show us what he is really capable of, with a side that now had a years championship football under its belt & hopefully the money to add some quality players.  IF we are relegated, then the fault should lie with DJ & SHOULD be sacked for it.

Football at this level is decided by fine margins & DJs tenure & peoples opinions will be decided by one game, Middlesborough on Saturday !

I'd say losing the 3 best, in-form players at the same time to injury was lamentable luck - can you think of a rival that has suffered similarly? If you think it isn't bad luck then fine - we'll agree to disagree

I'd also say that some decisions recently such as the Lita offside "goal" have had a direct bearing on us not already being safe and looking the fabled "midtable" with a win on saturday,

It was unfortunate and beyond our control that Sunderland sacked their manager and the new manager decided to use Connor Wickham just as he was looking the player he had been reputed to be.

It was unfortunate that other potential deals fell through such as Kevin Davies which left us recruiting a player from the division below who was obviously not really on our radar ideally.

But other things have gone our way - the Reda penalty decision for example and we shouldn't be relying on recruiting loan players at the death to keep us up.  Wickham was no great shakes anyway - I think you're looking at his contribution a bit too favourably.

What pertinent events affected our form earlier in the season? It's that early season form that means another little dip could be catastrophic - just like it was in 1990. If we hadn't been on the second worst run in our history or whatever it was then these late season injuries wouldn't have been so important. You have to look at the season as a whole and overall it's been poor. Have you enjoyed it? Do you think we're showing potential for next season - especially when you consider the loan players will be going back?

I'm not saying get rid - unless we go down in which case he's failed. But next season has to be better.

The first half of the season was terrible and DJ was well and truly in my bad books for that. But I think he's got a grip on the situation since December and we found an effective way of playing with pace and power. Now we have lost the pace we can't do much other than what we are currently doing. We cant suddenly expose ourselves by going too open, we just need to keep it tight again and hope something goes in this time.

We've been terrible this season but the whole object if we're being honest was to survive in the championship in our first year back

We're going into the last game with our destiny in our own hands which is a better position than some clubs with bigger budgets than we've had.

Guest james.taylor1982

We've been terrible this season but the whole object if we're being honest was to survive in the championship in our first year back

We're going into the last game with our destiny in our own hands which is a better position than some clubs with bigger budgets than we've had.

Totally agree with u, but after that outrageous run of losses DJ should not be manager of this club, going to places like Peterborough wanting just to draw with his 4-5-1 pish is unacceptable at this stage of the season