Wednesday's first European Tour

Guest owl_be_back

Never seen that one before , It's a good one

I think that's James Campbell with his hands on hips

I've only ever seen this photo from that first european tour

Guest PrincessWendy

In May 1911 Wednesday played games in Gothenburg and Copenhagen.  Here is a photo of a few of them meeting the Crown Price of Denmark.

Older, Bigger, Better.

denmark1_zpsc7d96829.jpg

If it weren't for Corporal Jones, you might think that picture was taken in  1984!

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Guest PrincessWendy

Brilliant picture again, Dunsby. The shorts are a bit of a mystery though, because, like that picture of the snowy game in 1913, the chaps look to have sensible shorts. Why did they go back to huge, voluminous shorts for the years 1920-1960 and why have they done so again? They are hideous. Bring back proper shorts (the clue's in the name).

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Guest MenstrieOwl

Can anyone let me know where I can get good quality digital images of the two Continental Tour photographs? My great uncle George Robertson appears in the photos.

Menstrie Owl

Can anyone let me know where I can get good quality digital images of the two Continental Tour photographs? My great uncle George Robertson appears in the photos.

Menstrie Owl

H

Menstrie Owl

Hi Menstie - the photo with the wirting is is available on the "Picture Sheffield" website - I think you can purchase from them.

It is great to hear from the family of the man who gave the Owls the nickname!

Guest MenstrieOwl

Cheers Dunsby.

I have been trying to trace this photograph for some time. As well as being George's great nephew I am very distantly related to Marr Paterson (standing in the back row next to the trainer)

Menstrie Owl

Guest MenstrieOwl

At last I managed to get a copy of the photograph of the team which beat Orgryte. The match took place in Gothenburg on Sunday 21 May 1911 (Wednesday's first Sunday match) and Wednesday won 5-0 with goals from Spoors (penalty), McLean, Kirkman, Wilson and Robertson. The players in the picture are:-

Back Row: Billy Lloyd (who was obviously running the line for the match), Jimmy Campbell, Tom Brittleton, Andra Wilson, Teddy Davison, David McLean, Marr Paterson and Parramore (trainer)

Front row: Sam Kirkman, George Robertson, Jimmy Spoors, Bob McSkimming and Findlay Weir