JJ and Lita

Guest Fedor

I think that you stick with Antonio personally, though I do feel he has quite a few bits of his game to work on - most notably his at times god awful first touch.

JJ will be a bit-part player for the season, but there is no reason why he can't occasionally challenge Helan or Antonio for a starting berth on occasions. 

Seems to me like you're trying to be controversial for the sake of it.

Why bother?

Just enjoy the form we are in at the moment.

JJ will get his chance again.

Not at all ,  as in my OP it is my belief JJ should start. This is a forum for debate isn,t it?

Edited by Fedor

No matter how many mistakes Antonio makes in a game he always does enough good things to justify his place and the mistakes never affect his confidence. Also good to see that the fans don't get on his back for heavy touches, not looking up etc. Also btw I think his first touches are often ambitious  

and meant to create him space- when they don't come off it looks bad but when they do he is in space and everybody stands up.

Think some people saw Antonio rip League One a new hole and expected the same immediately in the Championship.

Personally believe Antonio has adjusted well, he's still a young and inexperienced lad, and will only get better.

However, he won't get better is he's left out of the team!

I think some people judge Antonio more on last seasons form and the hefty price tag TBH.

Antonio has more assists and goals than Wilfred Zaha this season in a team that's struggled for most of the season.

Now I'm not saying Antonio is better than Zaha because he isn't, but when you compare stats such as those, you see why Antonio is a key players for us and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Edited by BRADDAZ

I have some sympathy with what the OP says, JJ was really unlucky to be stood down after, arguably, a man of the match performance against Charlton. Whether its because JJ was once a striker I don't know, but I reckon him and Lita would make a decent front pairing. That said, some pundits have suggested that Antonio himself may end up as a striker. Neither are ever going to be clinical, but alongside someone who is, like Lita, both could do a job.

Antonio has more assists and goals than Wilfred Zaha this season in a team that's struggled for most of the season.

Now I'm not saying Antonio is better than Zaha because he isn't, but when you compare stats such as those, you see why Antonio is a key players for us and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Stats don't tell the whole picture.Our leading assists last season came from a player deemed not good enough now and replaced by players who couldn't get in our league one team. Antonio has probably played more than twice the games JJ has. It's just my opinion that for now JJ would link up better with Lita.

The actual gap in quality between JJ and Antonio probably isn't as big as some would like to believe. 

I think that Antonio edges it (he's a bit more consistent if anything), but there are certain things that JJ does a bit better, for one he bizarrely often has a better first touch  :wacko:

Good thing for Michail is he has ten years on JJ, so there is plenty of time for him to improve and become a really good Championship player. 

Guest Ripley Owl

It's getting a bit bland on here so I thought I would throw this cat amongst the pigeons.

Its my belief that JJ should be starting up front with Lita. I don't think Antonio has been all that good so far this season. For me JJs final pass (when he chooses too) is improving. He has performed better than MA recently but you just knew JJ would make wat for Lita. A few examples to back my case. JJ set up Lita for the winner at Charlton. Antonio failed to look up and find Lita in acres on saturday and rightfully so, got a roasting off Leroy. Hull away JJ from the left got his head up and picked out Antonio for a cert goal, only for Michails first touch to let him down. In the same game Antonio from the right failed to pick out JJ in a mirror image of the same situation.For me it was crying out for JJs introduction on Saturday to stretch the ten men of Brighton and exploit the space Lita was creating. JJ has the ability to ghost past players at breakneck speed and keep the ball under close control, we needed this on Saturday in the second half.

This is not a go at Antonio by the way as I like him and think he is a real prospect, but I just think JJ deserves the shirt at the moment and a rest would do Antonio the world of good.

I know where you are coming from Fedor, but after a 3-1 win I'd like to think the management team know what they are doing.

Lets hope this run continues on Saturday, I have bought tickets for 2 derby fans and I'm hoping to be ripping them to bits for the hours drive home.

UP THE OWLS !

The actual gap in quality between JJ and Antonio probably isn't as big as some would like to believe. 

I think that Antonio edges it (he's a bit more consistent if anything), but there are certain things that JJ does a bit better, for one he bizarrely often has a better first touch  :wacko:

Good thing for Michail is he has ten years on JJ, so there is plenty of time for him to improve and become a really good Championship player. 

Agree on the whole, JJs dribbling ability is also far superior to Antonio's , he can go past players with ease and usually takes the ball with him. Antonio's feet often defy what his brains telling them to do.

Stats don't tell the whole picture.Our leading assists last season came from a player deemed not good enough now and replaced by players who couldn't get in our league one team. Antonio has probably played more than twice the games JJ has. It's just my opinion that for now JJ would link up better with Lita.

Obviously you're referring to Lines last year. If so, Antonio is doing the business this season (in terms of assists and goals) in this league, much like Lines did in the L1 last year. So I don't see the comparison.

I'm a massive fan of JJ and one of the few that has least defended him on here over the years. He was unlucky to be dropped, but we had to get Lita into the team. I can understand why DJ played Antonio over JJ, he's not only Ben out best attacking threat all year, but he's leading goalscorer and top assists man. I think that that things happen for Antonio that change games on a more consistent basis than JJ. But there are still many flaws in Antonio's game that need to be sorted to make him into a potential top level player, but he's always capable of producing in games and he does it quite regularly.

It's a great problem to have though.

Guest Big Guns

I don't think he played well on Saturday, but he got an assist and a goal, which means he can't be dropped for the next game.

This if your scoring when not playing well it can't be that bad.

Also I think he will learn and improve playing.g with litta who will give him bollocings.

Edited by Big Guns