Dave Jones in the transfer window

Guest intercity0wl

Pure guess work. Do you know the playing budget??

I dont know if he does, but from the Horses mouth at the Forum last week it was stated that it was somewhere in the Middle to bottom of Championship sides, just how much towards the middle, or bottom is anybody guess, wonder what it would be if we didn't get some of the highest crowds in the Division.

Edited by intercity0wl

We have a plan in place, relegation I don't suppose was part of that plan, though it must have been a consideration, so I don't think Milan will want to veer too far from that plan. DJ's brief was probably to keep us in this division while dismantling Megson's ageing squad and replacing them with younger assets. Maybe the chairman has underestimated the size of the task but for me the budget never looked realistic. Milan we hear is concerned but calm He's already told us that he's aware of what needs doing and will address the situation in January. I'm happy to trust him to best protect his investment than to listen to the advice of some of the hotheads on here.

Guest wadsgod

Don't even need to use my superior knowledge to realise that it will be Megson's players who we will attempt to move out, and rightly so.

You're either on the wind up or just very stupid lol

After signing what has so far looked like poor player after poor player in January, I wouldn't trust Jones with the cheque book.

We have a load of players that have only just arrived that either haven't had a chance or aren't good enough. If they haven't had a chance i'm assuming they aren't good enough.

Bothroyd, Sidebe, Rodri, Maguire, Pecnick, Taylor, Gardner, Mattock and Lee all signed by Jones & all need clearing out. Add to that the dead wood from Megson's era such as Bennett, Coke or Prutton and Lines all need moving on some how.

We need to spend in January to get out of this because we're going to need close to promotion form to get out of it. Some teams that are down there with us are unlikely to remain there.

We need a goal scorer to play alongside Madine who I think is good enough. I don't want to see a big target man, would rather it be someone nippy or clever. I'd like Billy Sharp (despite him being a Pig), failing that because of money, Kevin Phillips.

We need a quality attacking midfielder, someone's suggested Boyd, again he's going to cost money.

We need a decent Left Back.

Finally we need a reliable centre half... Danny Batth.

Once again, here we go ..............................3 things I expect to see in January 2013

1) we will not be spending owt

2) we will find it difficult to move players on especially if they signed 2/3 year deals in summer eg mattock /pecnik

3) any new players - which will be either loan / out of contract / free signings - will not arrive until Tuesday January 30th 2013 at earliest

we know how it is don't we ?

That's a few times I've seen you post that drivel in different threads. Fudder. :biggrin:

I fully trust Jones in the window, the reason being that 'on paper' the signings we made in the summer were decent.

People may say we brought too many in Summer and ruined the harmony of the squad, but if we had just added 2 or 3 players and been in this same situation the blame would lie with Jones for not strengthening, he did what we would all do and I can't remember many complaining at the time.

I got excited about pretty much all our summer and loan signings, mostly quality experienced players who 'should in theory' have done well and players for the future. Players like Kirkland, Taylor, Gardner, Maguire, McCabe, Bothroyd, Barkley - Lets be honest, I think we would have all brought in those players at the time given the chance.

The players haven't performed to the expected level, but that could not be predicted, I don't think its bad recruitment as such ...I would trust Jones to bring in 2 or 3 similar calibre of players that may this time perform as expected and bring the rest of the squad up to pace. As for moving players out, there are always league one sides that are looking to strengthen so I don't think that would be a problem.

This talk about Jones signing "more crap" in January if given the chance.......

Some of his decisions have been baffling i'm not denying that but are people not making the connection that the players he has signed are reflective of the money he has been given to spend?

We are where we should be i'd say.

Perhaps deserve a few more points as there has been some bad luck but we have also made poor decisions on the field as well.

This talk about Jones signing "more crap" in January if given the chance.......

Some of his decisions have been baffling i'm not denying that but are people not making the connection that the players he has signed are reflective of the money he has been given to spend?

We are where we should be i'd say.

Perhaps deserve a few more points as there has been some bad luck but we have also made poor decisions on the field as well.

You cannot deny that he,s signed quantity over quality, most promoted sides keep the core of there team that got them promoted (with a record amount of points) and add 3 or 4 BETTER players than you have in key areas and then gradually add more BETTER players than you have as required over a leriod of time.

That is how you become successful in the transfer market!!

You dont publicly slag all the players that earned you promotion and replace them with players who are much of a muchness if not worse than what you already had.

You dont sign a Premiership striker on loan who isnt fit and play him saying we need more goals and then play him out wide and never criticise him when he puts in some of the laziest, uninterested performances ive seen from someone in a Wednesday shirt.

I darent even start with the subject of our captain who costs us goal after goal whenever he plays but is never publicly hung out to dry like some other non DJ signings.

We had a solid if unspectacular foundations to build from with momentum and togetherness from last season but have wasted all this with some truely awful decisions from our manager!!! No matter what excuses he comes out with the buck stops with him!

That's the point Tom, and if you analyse the signings he's made, you can see that because of budget constraints, it's still an ongoing process. Sure he's made mistakes, what was his thinking behind the recruitment of Sidibe? In Mattock, Maguire, McCabe, Mayor, Antonio and Corry, he has brought in good young players who will probably be our future for years to come. Leaving aside the loan signings for the moment, players like Kirkland, Gardner and even Taylor, who will surely come good, are all useful additions to the squad. So that leaves question marks against just two, Lee and Pecnik.

Loan players are always a gamble, and Jones has had the difficult task of trying to bridge the gap between quality and shortcomings in the budget. Barkley and Bothroyd were both top signings but suffered from a lack of quality around them. It's that lack of overall quality that sees us where we are. If Jones now gets the budget we'd hoped for last summer, we may see something resembling the team he probably envisaged. Lets hope it's not too little too late.

You cannot deny that he,s signed quantity over quality, most promoted sides keep the core of there team that got them promoted (with a record amount of points) and add 3 or 4 BETTER players than you have in key areas and then gradually add more BETTER players than you have as required over a leriod of time.

That is how you become successful in the transfer market!!

You dont publicly slag all the players that earned you promotion and replace them with players who are much of a muchness if not worse than what you already had.

You dont sign a Premiership striker on loan who isnt fit and play him saying we need more goals and then play him out wide and never criticise him when he puts in some of the laziest, uninterested performances ive seen from someone in a Wednesday shirt.

I darent even start with the subject of our captain who costs us goal after goal whenever he plays but is never publicly hung out to dry like some other non DJ signings.

We had a solid if unspectacular foundations to build from with momentum and togetherness from last season but have wasted all this with some truely awful decisions from our manager!!! No matter what excuses he comes out with the buck stops with him!

Appreciate and agree with all of that.

In regards to the quality over quantity part though - that is what i'm getting at with the budget.

From what I can see we didn't shell out much in fees to buy those 3 or 4 we probably needed. We spent the summer trialling Marlon Harewood, that speaks volumes as to what MM's approach would be to the season. In DJ's position i'd do the same. If you are not going to be backed to buy quality then you may as well get numbers in, going with the train of thought that law of averages may suggest you'll get the odd decent one.

All i'm trying to say is that DJ has made some mistakes and crap decisions - no denying that.

I also believe that for all the talk MM is trying to blag it on the cheap until a buyer comes along and with this in mind to lay the blame squarely at DJ's feet is a bit harsh.

Thus far only Antonio and Kirkland might be deemed as bona fide successful recruits. One of those was effectively sourced by his predecessor. It may transpire that some of the younger ones will become good players for us but we'll have to wait and see. Taylor and Gardner have good pedigrees too so I hope that they will develop into good performers for us.

Either Jones has lost the knack of consistently spotting good players or the knack of managing and developing them. Personally I am leaning towards the latter. Some managers have a knack of taking players previously considered average and polishing them into decent performers. I have seen no evidence of Jones doing this. I have a hunch that the likes of Mattock and Lee might have more to offer than we're seeing under Jones.

Edited by Dagmeister

Thus far only Antonio and Kirkland might be deemed as bona fide successful recruits. One of those was effectively sourced by his predecessor. It may transpire that some of the younger ones will become good players for us but we'll have to wait and see. Taylor and Gardner have good pedigrees too so I hope that they will develop into good performers for us.

Either Jones has lost the knack of consistently spotting good players or the knack of managing and developing them. Personally I am leaning towards the latter. Some managers have a knack of taking players previously considered average and polishing them into decent performers. I have seen no evidence of Jones doing this. I have a hunch that the likes of Mattock and Lee might have more to offer than we're seeing under Jones.

Ive posted up before that i do think that Mayor,Corry and McCabe will hopefully prove to be good assets in the future and that is great to see.

But if DJ's budget was as poor as we are led to believe then half the amount of players should have been brought in but of higher quality instead of paying out for 14 new contracts.

A smaller but better squad would have seen us in a healthier state than we are in now and the loan market could have been utilised as required should injuries beset us.