Jay F ing Bothroyd

I was sat just above the dug outs last night and DJ and wilkinson were constantly shouting at JB cos he wasn't doing the job he was asked to do. As I said above, we know he is in the wrong position but if you're picked to play you do your job and get on with it.

There are others in the team who are either not good enough, not putting the effort in or cannot get on with these tactics are using at the minute I agree but JB comes with a higher expectation than the others so is going to be in the firing line.

Jay Bothroyd is class, has a great touch and if only he had wrapped his left peg around that effort in the second half everyone would be praising him. He may look lackadaisical but thats his style of play, he could track back and get stuck in a bit more but again that's not his game because he's a striker playing out of position, the squad looks better with him than it would without him.....

Guest Bedders

Fair enough, but reading these boards you'd think Jay was solely responsible for our current predicament

What do you think his wages will be though? We could probably bring in two different sorts of players for what he's getting paid!!

In essence is he worth two players wages?

Edited by Bedders

Guest Bedders

Jay Bothroyd is class, has a great touch and if only he had wrapped his left peg around that effort in the second half everyone would be praising him. He may look lackadaisical but thats his style of play, he could track back and get stuck in a bit more but again that's not his game because he's a striker playing out of position, the squad looks better with him than it would without him.....

1 goal in 24 appearances for a striker.......class or gash? You decide!

I want drafters not show ponies......even Rooney puts his sen about!

Gazzer was known for his robust tackles, surging runs, shot on goal. Even good teams need grafters........

Edited by Bedders

I thought he was the worst player on the pitch at Ipswich. No idea what everyone else saw that justified him that day. Summed it up when we made our first sub that day and he ambled over thinking he could put his feet up.

He's supposedly international class. Lots of premiership forwards get asked to do a wide role. They're expected to put effort in, track back, not leave the full backs hopelessly exposed (I'd be interested to know how many goals we've conceded recently from a 2 on 1 on Buxton/Jones) and be involved. It's all about Bothroyd. Doesn't run, shoots from ridiculous positions as if it justifies his selection. Upfront or out.

Guest S6craigo

If he does have a clause in his contract that says if he's fit he plays we need to start tweeting one of the other players to "go in a bit hard" in training ;-)

Imagine the boost to team spirit that would bring!

Biggest problem for our fans is his past reputation and his languid style. A lot don't realise exactly what he does do. He didn't have a great game last night by any stretch of the imagination, but lets look at what he did do. He had 3 of our 6 shots, fair enough only one was on target, he put 3 quality balls into the box, one of which helped set up the goal and he also put in a crunching tackle to win back the ball. He would undoubtably have cut out the cross for their third goal as well, had he been on the pitch. OK not great, but in a lacklustre team performance, not that bad surely?

Biggest problem for our fans is his past reputation and his languid style. A lot don't realise exactly what he does do. He didn't have a great game last night by any stretch of the imagination, but lets look at what he did do. He had 3 of our 6 shots, fair enough only one was on target, he put 3 quality balls into the box, one of which helped set up the goal and he also put in a crunching tackle to win back the ball. He would undoubtably have cut out the cross for their third goal as well, had he been on the pitch. OK not great, but in a lacklustre team performance, not that bad surely?

He was rubbish, as we're quite a few others. Languid is the modern phrase for bone idle. He's been poor for the majority of his loan spell, and the fact he's had 9 clubs in 12 years indicates its not just us that think it. Shake hands, cut our losses and move. Sign a couple of hungry Premier league reserve kids with a point to prove, and someone like Shaun Derry to organise us. We appear far too nice, and are sleep walking towards relegation.

Hi Jay. Of those 3 shots how many should you, sorry he, have taken? Better options for all. Still good to know the finishing quality is still there. The corner flag was scared of the first one. You put in a tackle? Well good. We were playing a side going top. I'd expect every player to have to put in a few last night. And I'd also like to know how you, sorry he, would have stopped the cross for the third, which came direct from a corner...

and the pathetic shot he had that was well w i d e and all he could do in his Shirley Bassey cocktail lounge gloves was display a sardonic grin!

He or should I say I, have been heading away those near post corners pretty much every game. Agree it was a mixed bag from Jay but I've looked at what he did whilst he was on the pitch and looked at it subjectively. Go through the side and see what others did and tell me how you reach the conclusion that JB was worse than anyone else