Swan & Springett playing for England

I still say that if Swan had not been a naughty boy Big Jack would not have had a look in as Englands centre half in the sixties including the world cup. For those of you old enough to have seen him play (first time around) I am sure you will agree.

I was at that England v Scotland game (9-3), and also at the next England game, a few weeks later, when we beat Mexico 8-0.

Twenty goals in two Wembley visits. Not bad going really!!

Jock: what's the time jimmy?

me : nine past Haffey

I still say that if Swan had not been a naughty boy Big Jack would not have had a look in as Englands centre half in the sixties including the world cup. For those of you old enough to have seen him play (first time around) I am sure you will agree.

Absolutely Mick and if Kay was stiil playing Ball might not have got a look in

peter did not deserve the sHity treatment he got from the F.A. hey even stopped him coaching youngsters in the park.

Broke his heart, and a few others as well.

Came across these photos of Swan & Springett playing for England in 1961 in a match when England beat Scotland 9-3 to take the Home International Championship.

SS1.jpg

The Scotland keeper was a bloke called Frank Haffey, and the rumour was that he was drunk, hence the nine goals. In 1975 I went to Wembley with a gang of mates from Scotland. We went down on the Thursday and came home on Sunday, and at some point that weekend, the 1961 scoreline came into the conversation. I started shooting the old gob off, about Haffey being bladdered and was promptly pinned up against a wall, by one of my mate's, mates, who just happened to be Haffey's brother in law. Some people are just too touchy.

i wouldnt argue with you that swan was a better player than charlton but i dont think he would have made the world cup side .his last cap was before the 62 world cup and he hadnt played for england for 2 years when he was banned .for some reason he didnt seem to figure as far as ramsay was concerned .

Jock: what's the time jimmy?

me : nine past Haffey

Absolutely Mick and if Kay was stiil playing Ball might not have got a look in

i think kay would have been a cert and would have took stiles's spot .....

The Scotland keeper was a bloke called Frank Haffey, and the rumour was that he was drunk, hence the nine goals. In 1975 I went to Wembley with a gang of mates from Scotland. We went down on the Thursday and came home on Sunday, and at some point that weekend, the 1961 scoreline came into the conversation. I started shooting the old gob off, about Haffey being bladdered and was promptly pinned up against a wall, by one of my mate's, mates, who just happened to be Haffey's brother in law. Some people are just too touchy.

As I remeber it, the entire Scotland defence was bladdered.

Absolutely right.

Both great players . Swan was in competition with Maurice Norman of Spurs at the time and Spurs were the team of the day ,so not surprisingly Swan never got the caps or recognition he deserved . Springett had one bad game against France when I think they lost 5 - 0 and that was more or less it for him as Banks took over . Happy memories and thanks for reminding us of better days .