Creating clear cut chances.

One thing I am still a bit concerned about, even though we are playing some lovely football is the lack of clear cut chances that are arising from our dominance in midfield.

I think our extra midfielder is sure-ing up the defense at the cost of any bite upfront.

I have a feeling that this 4-1-4-1 system will be shelved for home matches before long and only used in away matches. We need to be creating more clear cut openings rather than the half chances we are doing at the moment.

Either that or have players who can capitalize on half chances like other teams are against us.

Just a discussion point before anyone launches into some tirade about me being a negative c.vnt. lol

It is a concern and until we remedy it, we will continue to have performances like Friday, where for all our good play, we only take one point. For me the problem is, up front. We don't possess a striker who is sharp enough to take advantage of what the likes of Barkley, Bothroyd and Corry can create. They are all capable of delivering killer balls but ahead of them there is no movement, no incisiveness. Whether it be COG or Madine, its like we have a blunt instrument at the end of those intricate moves. Don't get me wrong, both can play a part, but in my opinion, not as a lone striker. Neither of them are going to make the runs in behind the defence that our creative players are looking for. All we can do is get the ball into them and hope it sticks long enough for Antonio to get up and support. Invariably it doesn't, how many times did our attacks break down with COG the other night? I'm not knocking him, but he simply isn't the right player to operate as a single striker. If the all we are looking for from our striker is to hold the ball up when its played into him, then we are wasting our time building a midfield as talented as the one we have now. With a proper cutting edge, we turn around our fortunes overnight

Agreed, Cog is a good one striker if we want to keep possession and therefore keep it tight.

But if we are going to create chances we need one who will turn and run in behind them.

Incidentally, Antonio seemed to be pushing up more to fulfill this role the other night to limited success.

Antonio's had that role for the last few matches DJ is obviously trying to utilize his pace, but again he is not clinical enough. We need a player who is quick and is able to get his shot off given a sight of goal. I've said it before, if we are going to play this system, someone like Frazier Campbell currently available for loan at Sunderland, would be ideal. We could still make use of COG if we needed an extra forward, but if we are gonna play with a single forward, we need them to be on the same wavelength as the midfield players.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Antonio's had that role for the last few matches DJ is obviously trying to utilize his pace, but again he is not clinical enough. We need a player who is quick and is able to get his shot off given a sight of goal.

This - Antonio creates opportunities but sometimes his final pass / shot selction is disappointing. His ability to recover the ball from behind him whilst his momentum carries him forward is unbelievable - he tries to do to much on occasion and the chance is gone or he misses the target.

Corry showed glimpses of what should be done with his chance, i.e. he or Lines or another attacking midfielder or another striker playing in the hole needs to run, hang back and position himself on the edge of the D. Buxtons fantastic run and pull back demonstrated the lack of someone doing this.

In the majority of the time we are all too square and in one line up front rather than positioning our selves when we attack in a diamond where someone can pick up cleared balls from their CBs and rifle in a shot.

Tonge demonstrated this with his goal - perfectly positioned and perfectly executed.

By having two or three players challenging in the 6 yard box we are leaving huge space on the edge of the area where the ball inevitably lands and more often than not is the starting point for an opposition breakaway where it is then fed out to the wings.

I've thought the same, we are tighter but seem a bit huff and puff in the final third despite some nice passing in midfield.

I just think we will keep this formation to hopefully grind out some results, then as confidence returns we'll see 4 4 2 again

i hope not...

as the op points out, away from home it's likely needed to shore us up, and at home, well as and when needed, depending on who we're playing...

we need points, and to get them we need goals...

if he can get the rest of the side settled, then hopefully the chrissy shoppin' will need doing up front...

only problem is, what shoppin' we've done so far, looks to be 50% lacking...