"Round pegs in round holes."

Guest totemowl

Does anyone actually support the round pegs round holes argument so much that they think we should have put Kieran Lee - unproven outside of L1/L2, unplayed so far this season - up against Wayne Bridges?

Our defending has been abysmal, but teams that play quick passing football have, in recent years, usually caused us problems. Last season we dealt with this by being a compact unit and soaking it up and being physical.

This season with our more attacking, passing style I thought we would give these teams more of a game but we didn't really get at Brighton. So perhaps for these sorts of away days we need to get ugly, be compact and get the long throws going again?

Our defending has been abysmal, but teams that play quick passing football have, in recent years, usually caused us problems. Last season we dealt with this by being a compact unit and soaking it up and being physical.

This season with our more attacking, passing style I thought we would give these teams more of a game but we didn't really get at Brighton. So perhaps for these sorts of away days we need to get ugly, be compact and get the long throws going again?

not dj's style...

we are, and appear have to play more a open style...

with the present playing staff we have this will be a stumbling block at times...

it will i suspect mean more new faces...

i expect in 12 months time the vast bulk of the promotion side won't be here, or won't be fitting in...

but, it appears that some of the players he's fetched in are no better, or (in some cases) even as good as some who are being left out...

i think dj's approach to football is starting to look like it will be similar to brian law's, throw men forward, pick a defence and let it cope with what go's off at that end of the pitch...

out will go megson's men, (surely) any dj signings who prove, or have proven not to be good enough will be moved on also...

and new signings will be fetched in (funding and loan restrictions allowing)...

you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, however at present this is looking less like a finished side than it was 3 weeks ago...

Edited by dnhc

Its just an idea rather than a demand Neil. If we can't get to grips with teams that move the ball around quickly then eventually a plan b isn't a bad move.

Losing to these teams is negative, changing things in certain games to beat them isn't.

So why must it always be (after losing one game - one where a few players in critical positions were out of their normal role/position) that we abandon a style that got us promoted and go out looking to win each game 1-0 ?

Why cant it be to keep tweaking the exciting attacking football till we get it right?

Some of you lot on here are right flipping football cowards

Owlstalk Shop

T

not dj's style...

we are, and appear have to play more a open style...

with the present playing staff we have this will be a stumbling block at times...

it will i suspect mean more new faces...

i expect in 12 months time the vast bulk of the promotion side won't be here, or won't be fitting in...

but, it appears that some of the players he's fetched in are no better, or (in some cases) even as good as some who are being left out...

i think dj's approach to football is starting to look like it will be similar to brian law's, throw men forward, pick a defence and let it cope with what go's off at that end of the pitch...

out will go megson's men, (surely) any dj signings who prove, or have proven not to be good enough will be moved on also...

and new signings will be fetched in (funding and loan restrictions allowing)...

you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, however at present this is looking less like a finished side than it was 3 weeks ago...

There is a lot less time to think and act in this league, most teams we play have experience of this, we are new to it and have to step-up quick.

So why must it always be (after losing one game - one where a few players in critical positions were out of their normal role/position) that we abandon a style that got us promoted and go out looking to win each game 1-0 ?

Why cant it be to keep tweaking the exciting attacking football till we get it right?

different game situations need a different approach...

brighton ripped their way outa the third division two season's ago with a very accomplished side and style...

they built on it, and had a good first season back...

they appear to have built on it again, and are likely to seriously challenge for promotion this time around...

mourinho took inter to barca and with a tight set up dumped what was hailed as the best club side in the world on it's arse with tactic's...

had he gone there gun ho, they'd have got stuffed...

strategy, and tactics are what separates serious football from school level football...

sadly some bring school level experience to the table... :tango:

I'm not saying every game, just in certain away games. Its about being able to mix it up when needed.

I much prefer the open style provided we can actually defend. I'd rather we won though. Even the first choice defence this season and last has had its issues.

Its not DJs style and we won't do it so hopefully we will get it right this way.

Btw I'm not suggesting we just hoof it either.

different game situations need a different approach...

brighton ripped their way outa the third division two season's ago with a very accomplished side and style...

they built on it, and had a good first season back...

they appear to have built on it again, and are likely to seriously challenge for promotion this time around...

mourinho took inter to barca and with a tight set up dumped what was hailed as the best club side in the world on it's arse with tactic's...

had he gone there gun ho, they'd have got stuffed...

strategy, and tactics are what separates serious football from school level football...

sadly some bring school level experience to the table... :tango:

Yep, Man U and City for example have a plan a) which is open attacking football, but if needed they can close ranks.

Arsenal stick rigidly to the same attractive philosophy and it costs them at times.

Don't think he wanted a debutant and 2 full backs starting with no match fitness.

Simple as that.

Mattock had played RB throughout pre season, Beevers played the majority of his games at LB last season.

But we got reamed, we move on.

Lesson learnt.

Edited by BRUCE LEE

More of a question of keeping a settled side for me.....have we had a team this season that hasn't had at least a couple of changes for the next game?

Yes I want to see the better football played, I think its just harder to take when we come across teams that have been together longer like the Brighton's of this league as the quality they have will hurt us a lot more if we aren't on our game. But we are going to have times in the season where we hit a purple patch and do the same to other teams so I'll take that.

Just like I've said previously it's whether the boo boys will start rounding on the team at the home games which is where the biggest impact will be felt by DJ and the team.

Lose a gsingle ame (after a great start to the season) and fans call for the whole attacking ethos to be scrapped and to immediately return to the negative days of Megson and Irvine

Classic

I don't think suggesting going from a 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 is scrapping the attacking ethos. We're simply talking about swapping a forward for an extra midfielder midfielder and still playing JJ and Antonio out wide but with 2 holding midfielders to give the defence a bit more protection especially away from home.

Edited by York_Owl

I don't think suggesting going from a 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 is scrapping the attacking ethos. We're simply talking about swapping a forward for an extra midfielder midfielder and still playing JJ and Antonio out wide but with 2 holding midfielders to give the defence a bit more protection especially away from home.

tbh, playing one up with the support of either jj, antonio, or both, when pitted against playing two up and one of them being the lightweight rodri away from home against a strong settled opposition is a non starter...

Yep, or maybe swapping the likes of Rodri who are isolated anyway for COG to buy us some time on the ball.