"Round pegs in round holes."

I can see where he was coming from with his selection.

With 3 of his back 4 out, it was the pick of the scraps left.

Buxton, Reda and Gardner are a short distance from returning.

Hopefully then we can establish a settled back four, like last season.

Over to the physio!

I wonder if we will go in for another centre back at some point in the near future if Gardner cant stay fit.

Just like I've said previously it's whether the boo boys will start rounding on the team at the home games which is where the biggest impact will be felt by DJ and the team.

I think we already know the answer to that

The only downside of promotion to a better/tougher division is we could see the re-emergence of one of the major factors why we've not done as well as we could in the past

Owlstalk Shop

You mean you looked at the line up before the match and though it'll be reyt, in DJ we trust?

No

But at the same time I'm more than happy to give this BRILLIANT manager time and space to fix what needs fixing

The issue with clamouring for change is that it will undoubtedly bring about a bottom atmosphere at Hillsborough and make the job even harder

Owlstalk Shop

Yes, it is DJ that needs to learn, you can't blame any one player when two goals are conceded every game. The buck stops at the manager.

Two problems for me:

1). We are relying on Gardner as our first choice, his hamstrings will ensure that we never have a settled back four

2). Something has gone wrong at RB. Losing Buxton should never involve two players playing out of position. If Lee can't step in, time for a loan.

I'm sure DJ will sort. He can lead us to the promised land, this is a wobble on the way - I hope.

Yeah, I remember Gardner saying that 30 or so games is a good season for him so we may see a fair few changes to the back four.

Did Lee pick up an injury in pre-season because he hasnt figured at all, its very odd.

Guest intercity0wl

The most painful thing about Owlstalk sometimes is reading all the posts for Reda, Madine, Buxton et al to be dropped as they're poo pooe/a liability etc

Then when they're not in the side and we're losing people the same 'experts' scratching their heads as to why we're not doing as well

Two of the three you mention we are missing i will agree.

I think we already know the answer to that

The only downside of promotion to a better/tougher division is we could see the re-emergence of one of the major factors why we've not done as well as we could in the past

It was there at Brighton. The more level headed of us will realise that 2 defeats in 20 odd games is not a crisis and hopefully those that don't will be a small minority on Wednesday night.

No

But at the same time I'm more than happy to give this BRILLIANT manager time and space to fix what needs fixing

The issue with clamouring for change is that it will undoubtedly bring about a poo pooter atmosphere at Hillsborough and make the job even harder

Im convinced DJ is the man for the job.

At home then we should be able to go for the jugular anyway, its not home games that are the issue as the atmosphere shouldnt be affected. Just maybe tweaking things away from home to make us a bit more rigid if the current plan doesnt start working soon.

There is no real clamour for change other than to sort the defence out which has already been acknowledged. I think your just sensationalising things when people have given some pretty reasonable points.

There is no real clamour for change other than to sort the defence out which has already been acknowledged

You're totally wrong

People aren't just asking for the defence to be sorted

They're asking for us to drop wingers, drop playmakers in midfield and put another defensive midfielder in, and play one up front

Read Owlstalk

It's all there for you

Owlstalk Shop

The most painful thing about Owlstalk sometimes is reading all the posts for Reda, Madine, Buxton et al to be dropped as they're poo pooe/a liability etc

Then when they're not in the side and we're losing people the same 'experts' scratching their heads as to why we're not doing as well

Cant disagree with that though. I think we need the continuity and the determined attitude they bring.

You're totally wrong

They're asking for us to drop wingers, drop playmakers in midfield and put another defensive midfielder in, and play one up front

Read Owlstalk

It's all there for you

I'm talking about this thread.

But you just want to talk about the people with extreme opinions who are surely in the minority.

reda, madine, and buxton may not be in the side at present, they may, or may not be good enough to press on to where dj, milan, and the fans want to see us go...

however having done 90%+ of our recruiting, i'm looking at us not having adequate cover for players who would have been among those who supporters would be thinking are they good enough to go on?...

good money spent, and plenty spent on the back line, yet the present outcome is we are looking forward to getting reda and buxton back...

reda is far from being the finished article at this level, buxton may well be past his best...

for me both newly recruited full backs should have been automatic choices on ability to challenge for a place, or why get them in?...

if dj thinks he can play arsen wenger/brian laws style attacking football without too much thought for defence...

he'll need some bloody money to spend on player turn over, and milan isn't known for throwing silly money at player recruitment...

You're totally wrong

Read Owlstalk

It's all there for you

brian laws thinking...

pick keeper, pick 4 defenders...

that's our defensive responsibilities sorted...

everybody else ATTACK...

against every side away from home it won't work...

our annual reading adventure, and burnley at home to man. citeh showed that...

Edited by dnhc

How did we do with them in the side ?

How did we do without them in the side ?

i had hoped that IF and when we brought ANY new players into the club following promotion...

they would have been better players than the ones we had...

i'm pretty sure that's not the case with all our new recruits...

anyone who hasn't concerns about reda's position/future at the club, doesn't know too much about fullback play...

he's the heart of a lion, he's wednesday through and through, but he ain't a championship full back, and he may never be one either...

for me that position needs sorting by the addition of a championship class fullback, whilst reda is schooled to play in a more central role in the future...