Hillsborough 1976

I used to love the fact that we stretched our imagination by referring to the uncovered seating in South Stand as the 'uncovered' and the Cantilever as the 'Cant'.

Uncovered has sadly gone but I never hear anyone refer to the North as 'Cant', and that my friends saddens this old nostalgic fool.

The old south stand is gorgeous. Wasn't it transported brick by brick from olive grove?

Wasn't that the old North shed or the original South stand . The South was designed by Archibald Leitch and built c. 1913/4 I think?

Edited by dunsbyowl

The old south stand is gorgeous. Wasn't it transported brick by brick from olive grove?

This

"The money was invested in a replacement for the Olive Grove stand on the south side of the stadium. The banking on the Spion Kop was also increased in size. The new south stand was completed in time for the first round of the FA Cup on 1 October 1913 against Notts County. It cost £18,000 and included 5,600 seats plus terracing at the front. "

Guest Glasgow Owl

This photo was printed on the inside cover of the match programmes during 1976/7. I love the ground now but doesn't it look tidy?

hills1976.jpg

had many a good time in the Leppins Lane triangle

This

"The money was invested in a replacement for the Olive Grove stand on the south side of the stadium. The banking on the Spion Kop was also increased in size. The new south stand was completed in time for the first round of the FA Cup on 1 October 1913 against Notts County. It cost £18,000 and included 5,600 seats plus terracing at the front. "

Did we win the game v Notts County?

Guest Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

Is it me or did the ground look bigger pre the changes in the 90s? Maybe it was the sightlines from the Kop terrace and the fact the ground was more open but used to look bigger when I was a kid.