Almost there - our squad

We don't know who the personalities or characters are in the dressing room, for all we know COG might be the life and soul of the party.

I don't think that will matter too much, last season we got promoted because we had determined players who were fitter than the competition, alot of this is thanks to Meggo.

The core of the squad is still here nad DJ has already said he doesn't want to disrupt it too much.

Think you're way off on this. And fitness was an important element but only one element.

So many managers, from top down, make the point about needing talkers and organisers on the pitch. I'm not talking about life and soul off the pitch.

I didn't watch enough Championship last season, so I'll have to go to Prem for my examples but think how heavily impacted the top teams seasons were by: Kompany being out for a period; Vidic; Terry; Ledley King.

Those teams miss them because they're top players in their own right, but they bring more than that to the table - they lift the whole team.

I like Llera but I don't see him as that character, and I think Beevers needs the sort of character next to him, if he's going to readjust to Championship and kick on.

You could pick the characters from a mile off last season.

We need to recreate a similar team spirit to what we had.

Think it is particularly important when you have young players (we have quite a few), that they have senior pros who can help motivate people.

Certainly makes the manager's job a bit easier.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

For me, a CM and two centre forwards are what we need BEFORE the season starts. Before September we could then add a centre back and a winger and we'd be sorted.

I would personally give Harewood a year and he can fight for the bench spot with COG. We would then need to buy a top class forward to fight out who starts with Madine and Maguire.

I was happy in midfield but with Lines injured, it's now desperate as Coke isn't good enough and Prutton and Amado are different kinds of players.

Guest foreverSWFC

Think you're way off on this. And fitness was an important element but only one element.

So many managers, from top down, make the point about needing talkers and organisers on the pitch. I'm not talking about life and soul off the pitch.

I didn't watch enough Championship last season, so I'll have to go to Prem for my examples but think how heavily impacted the top teams seasons were by: Kompany being out for a period; Vidic; Terry; Ledley King.

Those teams miss them because they're top players in their own right, but they bring more than that to the table - they lift the whole team.

I like Llera but I don't see him as that character, and I think Beevers needs the sort of character next to him, if he's going to readjust to Championship and kick on.

I agree leaders are important on the pitch, but more specifically I was referring to the departures of Jones and Lowe. Gardner was captain at Hull when he was there, Semedo has the presence of a leader and captained us a few times last season. I think Bywater and Prutton will stay as squad players, they will still have a positive influence on the squad.

It is important to have leaders, however we have kept the nucleus of the squad together and that team spirit will still be there. I think we'll bring in a CB who will be classed as a leader type player.

I really have a problem with signing players to act as back up Unless a player is capable of holding down a first team place then we shouldn't sign them Obviously, signing talented youngster whom we hope to develop into first team players is different

See where you're coming from, but without boring people with the examples, a lot of successful teams in this division have had quite a clear hierarchy. I think for the sake of squad harmony and budgetary reasons, you're always going to sign one or two who are more 'backup' players.

Kirkland-Bywater

Expect CK to be no 1

Weaver-Jameson (loan)- to leave asap, free some funds up

Buxton-Lee neither have had great pre seasons, as theyve missed chunks due to injury, which has seen Mattock filling the void at times

Llera-Gardner-Beevers need another RCB, McGowan would be a good purchase

Reda-Mattock tough call who starts, I like Reda and his aerial threat/strength are key, but Mattock is more composed on ball and may suit DJ plans abit more.

D Jones + Bennett to be sold/loaned out asap

Antonio-JJ no strengthening reqd here, more than good enough

Pecnik-M Jones happy enough with that, MJ has had a solid pre season, good goal against reading, decent back up

Semedo-Lines-McCabe-Coke-Amado-Prutton-Nyoni

Were over loaded in this dept, but with Lines injury, McCabes delay, Amado not quite ready yet, and Prutton/Coke looking set to depart sooner rather than later, then a signing is needed on loan, with Koumas perhaps joinin at a later date when fit.

Madine, Maguire, O'Grady- at least 1 forward is required- season long loan. DJ Campbell, Bothroyd, Gueye, Anichebe, Maynard- someone of that ilk would be ideal. Maguire, O'Grady are ok as back up.

So I believe we need 3 signings- RCB (McGowan, CM (interim loan) with Koumas being fetched in if he proves his fitness, and a striker.

Towards end of the window-if we manage to shift the followin on, then maybe an additional winger or striker could be acquired, but certainly not a priority.

Weaver, Jameson, Bennett, D Jones, Coke, Prutton, Nyoni should all leave asap, M Jones/O'Grady only leave if better (back up alternatives) are sought.

I think we have all the back up players we need. Going back to the OP, we are close to finalising the squad yes, but still some distance from completing the actual side. I would hope that all the remaining signings would be first teamers as it were.

We're still lacking some obvious proven quality in midfield and up front, and DJ is clearly after a new #5

Obviously work is ongoing to bring these in but until they arrive we still have some pretty big holes to plug IMO

CB

CM

Left wing

Striker x 1 minimum

I dont know what this obsession is with getting a right footed CB as teams always play with 2 right footed CB's so why cant we play with 2 left footed CB's?

I agree we need a creative centre midfielder

Another good winger (treacey or K.Lua Lua)

1 maybe 2 strikers. To be honest i wasnt sure about harewood but he got a hat trick the other night and might get stronger as he gets his fitness back and we bring in more players to supply him, then just need a nippy little bugger!

I dont know what this obsession is with getting a right footed CB as teams always play with 2 right footed CB's so why cant we play with 2 left footed CB's?

I agree we need a creative centre midfielder

Another good winger (treacey or K.Lua Lua)

1 maybe 2 strikers. To be honest i wasnt sure about harewood but he got a hat trick the other night and might get stronger as he gets his fitness back and we bring in more players to supply him, then just need a nippy little bugger!

The obsession for me is that we now only have 3 CB's all left footed, The other CB we bring has to be right footed just to give us that balance.