Fields Of Athenrye

Guest MouthOfHillsborough

To be honest, I love to hear it simply because the tune is so good and I bet its awesome to hear it live.

That said, wouldn't want to sing it solely because its Liverpool, and Celtic and Irelands. With that you get the ridiculous political and religious connotations, rightly or wrongly.

So yeah, not sure where I'm going with this. No to fields of athenry, yes to an original stirring new song for us.

Would sound great imo but not going to happen so I'd go with this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

we need a stirring local song about shutting down 12" mill and pits and rising like a phoenix to once more hold our heads high and march forward together with pride ...........anyone know one ?

Stick a statue of Fvckin Arthur Scargill in front of the kop while we're at it!!!!

We need a song that's spontaneous and not invented/written specially.

We need a song that's straight to the point and catchy.

We need a song that you can't stop singing humming 2 days after the match.

We need a song that gets everyone going.

We need a song that you don't only sing, you jump about to.

We need a song that even the South Stand can remember and join in.

We need a song that's ours and only ours. Created by us, sung by us and no one else.

Hang on, what about this one.

IF YOU'RE NOT FVCKIN BOUNCING YOU'RE A BLADE.

Guest Fedor

As you may have heard, ireland fans won an award for their MASSIVE support at the euros. For me one of the best things at the tournament was 1000's of them singing fields of athenrye, and I thought with liverpool having their version, could we have ours, I dunno but summat like....

''Terry Curran on the wing, we had dreams and songs to sing'' just to start

:tango:

I bet you are one of those English men who celebrate St Patricks day and Ignore St Georges Day

Detest that dirge with an absolute passion. Leave it to the Irish and the Scousers.

Ditto richowls.

Worse idea for a song ever. Luckily the vast majority here concur. Never has nor ever will be a Wednesday song.

Let the Irish, Celtic and Scousers have their own song love in. Can't stand YNWA either.

In conclusion, NO NO and NO!

Edited by OasisOwl72

why has my earlier post been deleted?

unless this forum is for IRA sympathisers (an illegal terrorist paramilitary organisation who stand against this country and our monarch), I fail to see what offence would be caused by my comment.

Whoever deleted it please explain.

Rather simplistic IMO.

Ireland has a rather complicated history.

I am a Republican too.

But it didn't offend me.

Yes it does:

By a lonely prison wall

I heard a young girl calling

Michael they are taking you away

For you stole Trevelyn's corn

So the young might see the morn.

Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay.

Chorus

Low lie the Fields of Athenry

Where once we watched the small free birds fly.

Our love was on the wing

we had dreams and songs to sing

It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry.

By a lonely prison wall

I heard a young man calling

Nothing matters Mary when you're free,

Against the Famine and the Crown

I rebelled they ran me down

Now you must raise our child with dignity.

Chorus

By a lonely harbour wall

She watched the last star falling

As that prison ship sailed out against the sky

Sure she'll wait and hope and pray

For her love in Botany Bay

It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry.

Chorus

I'd have no fvckin chance with that. Can't even get the 'bouncing' song right. :sad:

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

A song that supports the IRA...!!!! You'll be be singing on your own.... No Surrender

How can a song about the Famine of the 1850s be about an organisation which didn't exist until the 1910s? If you're going to write reactionary sectarian gonads at least get your history straight you spanner.

Its like saying why not have our own versions of you'll never walk alone, I'm forever blowing bubbles , 10 men went to mow and greasy chip butty?

Other teams songs, leave them alone!

I'm sure in the 80s we did sing a version of "one man went to mow" i remember it causing a bit of bother cos it was a Chelsea song and I seem to remember a "knick knack paddywack" song too that ended in "we hate Chelsea, feck off home" ah the good old days when Chelsea were our rivals lol

Yes it does

Court rulings have established its a folk song. 23 lines of text and all you can cite is "against the crown" totally out of context. You also never hear the full version sung. People sing the Chours at games.

Edited by Pulixifer