Fields Of Athenrye

Guest MouthOfHillsborough

out of context!?!!? I have cited the whole bloody song you plonker. It's still a song for the Paddys and last time I checkled SWFC was not full of Paddys

If the country had been ruling itself it would read against the state. The context was that he had to steal to feed his family and got deported. Can't believe you used the P word... :rolleyes::biggrin:

why has my earlier post been deleted?

unless this forum is for IRA sympathisers (an illegal terrorist paramilitary organisation who stand against this country and our monarch), I fail to see what offence would be caused by my comment.

Whoever deleted it please explain.

I deleted it because fenian is not an acceptable term. Do you call black people n*ggers too? Grow up and stop being such a bigot.

inaccurate comparison. black people were called that term first. the irish republican brotherhood called themselves fenian before anyone else did

You terrorist panderer.

You can get arrested and jailed now for saying what you said in Scotland. It's an offensive term used in the context you used it.

Not that it matters but I'm actually a Unionist. I'm not a terrorist panderer, or a Republican sympathiser, but I do know what is acceptable. Apologise now or you're going for a holiday.

As you may have heard, ireland fans won an award for their MASSIVE support at the euros. For me one of the best things at the tournament was 1000's of them singing fields of athenrye, and I thought with liverpool having their version, could we have ours, I dunno but summat like....

''Terry Curran on the wing, we had dreams and songs to sing'' just to start

:tango:

Thats a perverse idea.

To bring this back on topic, how about we change the words to this? Seems very apt, Sheffield is full of folk from the working class background, from coal mines to steel mills which have been replaced by the call centres and office blocks.

How about "It's a Wednesday fan I am"?

Great idea that Miffed - just what we need, our own anthem.

Proper Lyrics are as below but would need changing to Wednesday lyrics? Even just the choras would be good?

It's a working man I am,and I've been down underground

And I swear to God if I ever see the sun

Or for any lenght of time,I can hold it in my mind

I never again will go down underground

At the age of sixteen years,I quarreled with the spears

Who swore that never be another one

In the dark recess of the mines,where you age before your time

And the coal dust lies heavy on your lungs.

At the age of sixty four,he'll greet you at the door

And gently lead you by the arm

To the dark recess of the mine,he'll take you back in time

And tell you of the hardships that were had

Isn't this the "Our team is getting hammered so let's divert the attention away by playing the martyrs and getting them to film the crowd instead" song?

I don't EVER remember hearing fans sing it while their team is winning. Which is why Liverpool and Ireland fans seem to sing it a lot I guess...