Owls withdraw their interest in Pompey;s Ward.

Guest intercity0wl

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. We could have ended up with a £500k pile of tripe (or a crock - Marshall was recovering from a broken leg, no guarentee to come back the same player). Which isn't good for any budgets, especially a League One budget.

Every potential signing is a risk. If the manager thinks a player is good enough and that player is attainable to buy, then I think you're better signing them.

Obviously some players are only avaible to us on a loan basis, due to finances or the other club not wanting to sell. But nothing about Marshall's contract situation, age and previous years usage by Stoke, suggested that he wasn't available to buy (a fee didn't turn out to be a problem either)

Guest wilyfox

He's a centre back whos been played out of position. It's hopefully good news about Batth :D

i wouldn't bank on it.

Every potential signing is a risk. If the manager thinks a player is good enough and that player is attainable to buy, then I think you're better signing them.

Obviously some players are only avaible to us on a loan basis, due to finances or the other club not wanting to sell. But nothing about Marshall's contract situation, age and previous years usage by Stoke, suggested that he wasn't available to buy (a fee didn't turn out to be a problem either)

Of course every signing is a risk, but those recovering from a broken leg will have a bigger question mark over a tried, tested and fit player. Loaning Ben Marshall first was the most sensible move - perhaps we should start negotiating purchase option in advance to the loan as well so we don't end up in the situation we did when Marshall's loan finished?

And let us not forget, Stoke didn't even want to sell - it was just that Marshall rejected the contract offered to him by Stoke which forced the sale to Leicester.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

He's a centre back whos been played out of position. It's hopefully good news about Batth :D

That's what I thought lol

I'm not sure signing Batth is realistic anymore, but hopefully we're got a reasonably mobile & quick centre half signing lined up from somewhere

If we had bid in August, what we bid in January for Marshall, instead of initially laoning him (maybe Megson did fully trust his own judgement, or may Milan didn't?) he would still be a Wednesday player imo

More likely, Megson respected Pulis' wishes that Marshall was only to go out on loan, and wasnt for sale. It was only Marshall refusing a new contract in January that forced their hand to sell, otherwise i firmly believe Pulis would have loaned him straight back.

Wednesday in "unwilling to pay asking price" shocker.

Wednesday in "unwilling to pay over the odds for a player they dont really need" shocker. Days of spending big are long gone under mandaric, at least we wont end up squandering millions again.

Will mean nothing, just wednesday casting their net out further for potential players. Doubt very much Batth will be returning here unless he tries to force a move.

I know last season we was slating them big men at the club for not paying up but this season will be promising with dave jones cause he can do something that megson really couldnt do n thats attract decent players. i know megson got marshall antonio n batth but they was all loans n we really want the in the bag.

I reckon dj will bring some proven championship players in.

I don't think that was the case. It has been well documented that Megson was only responsible for identifying players. It was then the responsibility of Aldridge (with the financial backing of Milan) to go and sign the players. The reason we didn't sign certain players was because we either did not meet the club's valuation or we did not meet the players wage demands not that Megson could not attract decent players.

Further to this we also came unstuck because we were in League One and were often competing with clubs in the Championship. Now that we are in the Championship and presumably offering Championship wages we are in a much better position to attract "decent" players

Guest Ferkorf

Glad we didnt spend 450k on a right back we didnt need. Already seen comments of fans saying we wont spend anything and milans already backing out of deals that involve money.

I Think those fans need to go smoke on a fat one and go watch man city.

Only players id spend on os Antonio and Batth.

I dont rate Treacy or Ranger and I think there are a lot of better quality players in the free transfer market than them.

Guest wilyfox

Glad we didnt spend 450k on a right back we didnt need. Already seen comments of fans saying we wont spend anything and milans already backing out of deals that involve money.

I Think those fans need to go smoke on a fat one and go watch man city.

Only players id spend on os Antonio and Batth.

I dont rate Treacy or Ranger and I think there are a lot of better quality players in the free transfer market than them.

i'm glad DJ disagrees with you on that one.

I don't think it is an issue of the outlay; we would have to pay similar or more for Bath.

It is because we have someone else lined up.

First choice is Batth and hopefully it's him.

Edited by Beholder

Discussion on our transfer strategy, and whether or not we are satisfied with our transfer dealings, is best put off until the end of August.

We need to look at the sum of all the parts etc before passing judgement.

It should be of no surprise for us to hear we will be careful with the pennies though. What was our final offer for ALF for e.g?

We did go up in 2nd eventually, so Milan does have a record of achieving more for less. Will he push the boat out for key signings, or rely on premiership loans? Well, we'll know by the end of August won't we?

Guest wilyfox

I don't think it is an issue of the outlay; we would have to pay similar or more for Bath.

It is because we have someone else lined up.

First choice is Batth and hopefully it's him.

i suppose the question is...how long do you wait for Danny Batth? Solbakken probably wont be able to assess his squad 'til they re-group for pre-season; how many alternative possibilities might be passed on between now and then, hoping for a positive outcome...

In response to the above post, I don't think we should wait on Batth if an answer is not forthcoming anytime soon.

We need to learn from past experience. As the Marshall / Antonio situation proved, there are always suitable alternatives available if you know where to look.

Edited by theowlsman

We have bigger competition for the top targets in the championship than we did in league 1. Our relative budget won't be as high.

If Batth does come available, i can envisage competition even for him.

Edited by Beholder

<p>

Could this summers dealings be a Mellor situation all over again?

No, I'd like to think we needn't take risks any more. We'll just move on, sign another central defender, and with a potential replacement already in place, we'll have the luxury of having another look at the Baath situation in July without being desperate to sign him.

Guest wilyfox

<p>No, I'd like to think we needn't take risks any more. We'll just move on, sign another central defender, and with a potential replacement already in place, we'll have the luxury of having another look at the Baath situation in July without being desperate to sign him.

quite an assumption...