Owls withdraw their interest in Pompey;s Ward.

Guest intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

According to this mornings press, DJ has decided against making a formal offer for the highly rated right back, but who can play anwhere across the back four, four or five clubs are in advanced talks with Wards agents, having had bids accepted by the south coast club.

It is believed that the Owls were unwilling to pay the £450,000 being demaanded by Pompey for the player, sources on the south coast say the clubs involved in negotiations to sign Ward are Blackpool, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Ipswich & Leeds United, with the West Yorkshire club believe to be the firm favourites to take the talented youngster.

Now i cannot comment on the player or whether he is worth the asking price or not, but the not willing to pay what is being asked by clubs for players does, (just like last season) seem to be creeping more and more back into the noises coming out of S6, although i admit we didn't do bad following those self imposed guidelines last season did we.

Edited by intercity0wl

We've just filled the full back position for free. What's the point in entering a bidding war when we've secured a 'highly rated' full back from the Man Utd academy for nothing.

Why pay inflated wages, inflated signing on fee's, agent fee's and transfer fee's for one player when we can move onto another target and use the money more wisely. He's a good player but hardly part of a team which set the Championship alight and to be fair on paper they have a decent side.

I'd say it's a sensible move by DJ and Paul. We don't need to get into a bidding war and putting ourselves in financial issues over 1 player.

Guest Foxhill Owl

£450k for a right back when it seems we already have that position covered

methinks our priorities lie in other positions

I bet Buxton is just as good as this ward fella..

Guest intercity0wl

Im not arguing with an of ya, or saying our current policy on who we sign and what we pay them is wrong, but judging by the comments of many posters on here, bidding wars and the signing of big name players on big wages and automatic promotion come next May is exactly what they are expecting.

The message that i am getting reading pieces like this and listening to DJ interviews on other media, is that these posters are going to be a tad dissapointed with the first two expectations at least.

Buxton has been great in L1 but time will tell how he is in the Championship, I seem to recall he was very average the last time we were in the Champ.

FWIW i don't think less then 500k for a highly talented player isn't big money, big hmmmm.

Edited by TaxiMark

I know last season we was slating them big men at the club for not paying up but this season will be promising with dave jones cause he can do something that megson really couldnt do n thats attract decent players. i know megson got marshall antonio n batth but they was all loans n we really want the in the bag.

I reckon dj will bring some proven championship players in.

According to this mornings press, DJ has decided against making a formal offer for the highly rated right back, but who can play anwhere across the back four, four or five clubs are in advanced talks with Wards agents, having had bids accepted by the south coast club.

It is believed that the Owls were unwilling to pay the £450,000 being demaanded by Pompey for the player, sources on the south coast say the clubs involved in negotiations to sign Ward are Blackpool, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Ipswich & Leeds United, with the West Yorkshire club believe to be the firm favourites to take the talented youngster.

Now i cannot comment on the player or whether he is worth the asking price or not, but the not willing to pay what is being asked by clubs for players does, (just like last season) seem to be creeping more and more back into the noises coming out of S6, although i admit we didn't do bad following those self imposed guidelines last season did we.

One of the reasons GM got so much support for the job he did - As for this season it's too early to judge what the level of ambition is let's hope that

a) It's a message to agents and Clubs that we aren't flippingstupid so stop adding 0s

b) The main money has been allotted elsewhere

Whilst I appreciate that Buxton did not set the Championship alight last time around I feel he has matured as a player and will be brimming with confidence after last season. I say give him a chance, he deserves it. If it isn't working then January would be the time to strengthen the RB position. Good news about Batth....

thats what I want to hear lol

P.S. Hope my post meets with the approval of the Grammar Police :tango:

Edited by Owling Wolfe

I would much rather we have a backroom team in place that is more considerate of spending money than the situation at a club like Leicester. The club will have valuations for players and they will stick to them. I don't expect or want us to spend millions all over the place and end up with a debt figure like the Blades. That's sensible and I'm glad Milan and Aldridge are taking that approach.

Guest Foxhill Owl

Whilst I appreciate that Buxton did not set the Championship alight last time around I feel he has matured as a player and will be brimming with confidence after last season. I say give him a chance, he deserves it. If it isn't working then January would be the time to strengthen the RB position. Good news about Batth....

thats what I want to hear lol

P.S. Hope my post meets with the approval of the Grammar Police :tango:

It's Obvious we don't want to put an offer in for ward we have Batth lined up lol

Buxton has been great in L1 but time will tell how he is in the Championship, I seem to recall he was very average the last time we were in the Champ.

I remember him having a bad run when he first joined, but then being one of the few highlights the year we went down.

Not too bothered about passing on this guy. With Buxton, Lee and Callum Bennett, we are well covered at right back. Intercity, I hope you are wrong about the lack of investment and we will be prepared to spend if the right person becomes available.

The climate is such that we can build the squad using loans and frees, I agree that makes sense, but if for example, a decent striker became available, I'd like to think that a club of our size, would be prepared to invest a few million

Echoed above. We clearly have signed that Lee fella from Oldham, although no official announcement has been made. 2 right backs is enough - don't think we need to start have 3 of each position do we. Sensible play from DJ & Paul. Concentrate on places we need to actually strengthen. Buxton was one of the best players this season and was missed when he was out. Maturing really well and improving MASSIVELY.

Guest wilyfox

presumably, DJ is working towards a budget set by MM & PA; with Buxton and Lee covering RB, Ward may have been a luxury we cannot afford when you consider the other positions we've yet to fill. i understand Ward can play CB as well, but perhaps he is not DJ's preference for that position. we may have bigger fish to fry...